Womens Running

IT'S FRIDAY, DIVAS! (Read 16 times)

outwestrunner

NC - Yeah things have been burning here for a while. A bear came in close to town yesterday - he'd likely been pushed out by the fires. They removed him to a safer place. I feel bad about all the fires but it's a land management issue and that's all sorts of messed up, in my opinion.

Mel - Hmm, I wonder if some of those dogs are going to our shelter here in Boise! We get a lot of dogs flown in all the time because we have pretty high turnover.  It can be overwhelming. The other day I was there, and it hit me once again that it will never stop. People need to get their cats and dogs fixed!

LucyBelle

Lucy- I found the pics on FB, now I remember it! So pretty!!!!

Thanks! Those pictures are soooo unflattering though! I swear now that it's sized down and has boning and cups added, it looks WAY better! It's in the shop to be steamed and I don't pick it up till 2 days before the waiting, so I guess you ladies will have to wait for wedding photos to see it!

SassySparky

Ugh I have the WORST stomach ache today! Just gassy and bloated. It's annoying because really I'd like to lie in the fetal position in bed for a few minutes but i'm at work.

Good news - I schedueld my monthly sports massage for Sunday afternoon!
        MA - great job getting the cookies made! Love your page!

Monk - enjoy your weekend. We try to get out of the house like that too. We really like our Bissell Pet Lift Off. There's no filter, and no bags, so nothing to replace. We've had it for 6+ years (wedding gift) and it's going strong! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bissell-Lift-Off-Multi-Cyclonic-Bagless-Upright-Vacuum-89Q9/12542642
        $150 at walmart!

OWR - yeah I had a 2.5 mile cooldown. I am just sore from training, and the TT left me more worn out than a typical 6 mile run (even a tempo run!). I love spicy, and often get the habanero salsa at restuarant but man does it leave me feeling awful. The forest fires must be awful!

Lucy - epsom salt bath is a great idea! I might even do that tonight and then do an ice bath tomorrow. I also scheduled my monthly sports massage for Sunday afternoon.

Lizo - good luck withthe run tomorrow! yay for the TM! are you going to ditch your gym membership now?

Meli - props to you for volunteering so much. Good luck with your weekend workouts, sound intense!

NC - you guys are great with S! nice job on your tempo run yesterday - you are so speedy lately!

I'll be running my first full, the Richmond Marathon on November 16, 2013!

NorCal

OWR- We have friends back home that just bred their golden retriever and labradoodle- 10 puppies. It takes ALL of my will power not to be snarky about the thousands of dogs that are killed daily in this country due to over population! Ugh!

Lucy- It was kind of a trip down memory lane, looking through all of the old DIVA photos! So funny how long we've all been in the group and all the things that we've been through!

Humboldt Redwoods Half Marathon 10.20.2013 

Tiburon by the Bay Half Marathon 11.3.2013 (My Birthday!) 

Napa Valley Full Marathon 3.2.2013

PRs: 

Half: 1:48

Full: 4:34

outwestrunner

NC - Yeah my sister has a purebred and I had to bite my tongue, too.

SassySparky

My mom and my in-laws both have pure-bred cocker spaniels, and my grandma has a purebred miniature poodle. My mom and stepdad take terrible care of their dog - give it lots of human food etc, and it has terrible allergies and other issues that I would say are due to that. It drives me crazy. My grandma surprised me with the purebred poodle - she had lots of big lab and golden retriever rescue dogs my entire life but her "boyfriend" bought her the poodle. It's a good dog for her though, considering it weighs 6 pounds.  The in-laws have a very healthy and happy cocker spaniel though and he's a great dog. They had a really bad experience with rescues (biting, bad behavior) when Big D and my SIL's were younger, though, so I'm just glad that they are having a good experience with this dog. My dad and stepmom only have rescues.

outwestrunner

We've only ever had rescues, although my sister did buy a miniature Schnauzer when she was in high school..and then her dog before this one was also a purebred. I don't know, I mean, yeah, to each his or her own, but this is one of those "Did we really grow up in the same house?" things between me and my sister. My mom has a Scottie, but he was also a rescue. Responsible breeders have their place, but there are also purebred rescues out there. We get all sorts of dogs through the shelter. I also take issues with people considering the shelter pets as "damaged goods". Shit happens to dogs and to people. Be patient. Ugh.

Okay sorry about that. This is obviously a serious hot button issue for me. The boyfriend I had in WY and I would fight about this ALL THE TIME.

NorCal

Our friends with the puppies "tried" adopting a shelter dog, a little Pitt but had a bad experience, basically didn't have the patience to deal with integrating it, so they bought a golden, then bought a labrodoodle, then topped things off by breeding them! I know Pitts arent for everyone, but sheesh!

I will always have rescues, maybe some will be purebred maybe some mutts, but I would never ever buy a dog.

Humboldt Redwoods Half Marathon 10.20.2013 

Tiburon by the Bay Half Marathon 11.3.2013 (My Birthday!) 

Napa Valley Full Marathon 3.2.2013

PRs: 

Half: 1:48

Full: 4:34

melrunner

Well I will confess that I was seriously considering spending a lot of money for a pure bred Cav and even contacted a breeder. Found out they cost 2k-2.5k and thought no problem, I can save, and C was trying to tell me he wanted a mutt from the pound. Baxter was a pure bred ad he was AKA registered but he was a present. Before Bax C's two childhood pups were picked at the pound and they lived 15-17 years and were amazing wonderful dogs. So I told C one from the pound a d a pure bred (since I really want my Cav) and he said every time you pick a dog from the pound you save a life so why not save two lives??  I admit I was clueless and the more I have been reading about this, the sadder this is. I would rather save my 2000 and donate 100 bucks a month or so to a local rescue group that needs the $$.

melrunner

And the worst thing is that the statistics are saddening. 80 dogs or so come in to the pound on a slow day. And the amount of adoptions done last  year directly via the pound was about 1000.  And they have pure breeds at rescues or even at the pound. Yesterday they had a Chinese Crested pup. DH told me he wants to adopt the dog that nobody else wants, the one that has been there longer and will be at risk for being put down.

But I truly think that there is not enough knowledge about the shelters, rescue groups, and the dangers involved with backyard breeding, puppy mills, and pet shops....

outwestrunner

It can be very overwhelming..It's one of those "act within the sphere of your own influence" things.

SassySparky

The backyard breeding is awful, and then to have some dogs go around unfixed is so strange to me. Some vet schools offer spaying and neutering for low price or FREE and there are free clinics that offer this service too. One of my coworkers bought a male and female Dauschund and bred them for a few years. ugh.