Womens Running

Over 40. Tessa has a short run Saturday/Sunday (Read 17 times)

Tessa, several funny things about your RR that made me laugh.  In no particular order:

-- Scouting out the portapotty by the construction site on the day before the race.

-- Other runners' pavlovian response to the sound of a portapotty door slamming.

-- Fools to the left, halfwits to the right.

-- Your unsaid suggestions regarding balls and feet.

-- Pacers realizing at mile 24 that they need to slow down.  Yikes.

-- You leaving the young whippersnapper (who clearly has vision problems) in your dust.

A fun read as always.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Tessa-great RR!  GRR about the guy telling the woman to run faster and the guy who assumes gray hair means 70.  Nice job with Charleston and #25. I'm just at #6 with Michigan, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Nevada and Wisconsin.  Will get California and Illinois this year.  Maybe New York if I get in!

Lisa

Arimathea

Tessa

Thanks Margaret! I'm surprised when I see someone coaching a runner during the race by hectoring the runner and telling her (and it is usually a him telling a her) to change her style, run faster, catch the person in front, rather than providing support and companionship. Especially when it looks like it's her first or close to first marathon. I think there's a paper in "Pavlovian Portapotty Responses" for someone in sports psychology.

Lisa, yes adding California and Illinois this year...and if there's any way we can get you out to Leading Ladies I'd like to add South Dakota to your list!

Up and sipping the first Diet Coke of the day. One must rehydrate, you know. Marjorie and I plan to run one of the bridges in Charleston today -- the one with the pedestrian and bike lanes, thank you -- however it is raining and foggy so we may wait a bit. So glad it wasn't like this yesterday!

Bikerchick1

Tessa - Great job and RR (as always)!!!  I admire how you don't just run a race - you "experience" it....

Damarias - Positive thoughts for DH...hoping it is nothing.

Lisa - That FA sounded like fun!

Marjorie - You are a great cheerleader & spectator!!!

Gatsby -Hi!

LR  was Friday evening....was cold, but beautiful....we ran along the river on a snowpacked road, sun was shining for the first hour, then as twilight set in was a nice sunset....but it really got cold.  My water froze in my handheld - yiikes!

DH and I hiked about an hour yesterday at the nature center.   Today is a rest day...except for household x-training Sad

Carol

ginnyb

Great RR Tessa!  love reading your reports.  No way do you look 70!  Glad you let him know it too!  Much braver than I, I would have just let it go.  Great time too.  70th marathon, I can't imagine.

Lisa....I put it for the lottery for NYC too, but I have before and not gotten in.

6 miles on the TM this morning.  Didn't feel that great either, but I did it.  Kids coming over for spaghetti this afternoon, it is simmering as I write.  Actually just my DD and her family.  Also Dirt dessert, request of my 9 year old GD.

No work tomorrow!!!   Yay!!

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Anonymous Guest

Tessa, congrats on your 70th marathon at age 70 . Seriously, nicely run race and great report.

Lisa and Ginny, I'm in for NYC too. People with non-NYRR guaranteed times are getting notifications, but I haven't heard anything yet. I used a small, unheard of race for my qualifier, but it is certified. They say first come first served, but I hope that means entry time, not "when NYRR gets around to finding my results on the internet". I'd be happy to provide them the link, I thought it was strange that they didn't ask for that in the entry process.

Early registration for Houston starts this afternoon. They are changing their registration process because they made the field bigger, so no lottery. Early registration for anyone for a few days now, then time qualifiers in May, then open registration in June. I'm thinking about signing up this afternoon so I don't forget about it. Figure I should run Houston next year since I'll be there.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

7.2 miles for us over the bridge and some in Patriots Point. Got to chat some with a lady at the end that was waiting for her husband doing a bike race. She did the half yesterday

then we did a nice brunch. Now showered and will go out and explore some in a bit

The race was nice yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed spectating.

waves to everyone.

Marjorie

Arimathea

Tessa

7.25 over the Ravenel bridge and back and then to Parsons Point and around the submarine memorial. Nice run! It wasn't windy though the wind picked up later.

Toured Middleton Plantation this afternoon, enjoyed the garden and the house and the rice fields. 3 miles or so. With stairs, some of them steep. Pity they don't open the walking paths for runs, Marjorie would be down here all the time running on them!

Karen-my first thought was "I should pull up Houston and register" then I remembered it's road.  Pass on that.  I'll be sure to have my DD out to cheer you on since she lives on the marathon route!

Tessa-sounds like a nice recovery run and time well spent in Charleston!

Marjorie-good for you getting out to cheer all on!

Ginny-yummm... Dirt dessert.  Did you include gummy worms?  Nice job on the TM run!

Carol-certainly not handheld season in Michigan.

14.5 out on the Poto trails.  Was super tough for some reason.  Could have been that we were in slush almost the whole time.  Blew out one of my Yaktrax even. We cut short the run as my feet were literally going numb from being in slush then snow in alternating fashion.  Poto is tough enough but add slush and snow and it was way worse.

Any of you follow or read up on Mafetone? Run buddy has been following the diet and feeling much better.

Lisa

Arimathea

Tessa

Lisa, how exactly do you blow out a Yaktrack?

And yes Houston is pavement. Not only pavement. Concrete.

Poto in slush and snow sounds awful.

I Googled Maffetone but couldn't figure out what the plan is.