Womens Running

Hamburger and Hot Dog WEEKENDS (DAILIES) (Read 20 times)

Kilmisters

Heyooo!

So, I have been away for a while (family, work, running, travel, pure laziness Big grin) but I realllly wanted to share a RR of my last race...

This is the first year this race was organized, if not for random ''suggested event'' ad in FB, I would know nothing about it. But it looked fun (and challenging) from videos and description, so I saw it as great addition to Michigan training.

It was raining the entire morning and our way there (1.5h drive), so I couldn't decide whether to take the water belt or not. If not for the pocket carrying Isostar gels, most probably the decision would be ''no'', but I didn't want to risk not taking them (and turned out to be right). Compared to other trail races here (well, the only other summer trail race series we have Big grin) it was very small scale - only approx 35 runners in my distance (14mi). Every distance (7.5, 15.3, 23, 30.6km) had separate start, which made it feel even less crowded.

I immediately (few seconds after the start) realized I am waaay out of my league in this race, so just tried to keep up w the ''tail end''. Those 3 people (two guys and a woman) ran just slightly faster than I would if I was running alone, so I thought - why not. So, our little group of 4 fell back from rest of the runners quite fast, but I didn't mind. It was a fun company, friendly people, lots of jokes. Soon there was a river w a tree over it and I was like - we are supposed to get over on THAT!? It looked really unsafe and I didn't want to get an early swim Big grin That's where the teamwork helped - guys got us over. Right after that we got lost. In mile 2. Got lost in mile 2 Big grin Not sure how we managed that, the course was well marked, we probably just missed one sign/arrow and it was enough. So, the ''slogan'' of first third of the race was ''That arrow showed ''right'', didn't it!??'' With the help of guys' logic we somehow got back on the course, confusing the volunteer, as we approached her from totally opposite direction than we would have if we hadn't got lost Big grin Then came the coal mine section, which was so beautiful that I really wanted to take photos, but there were so many near-fall situations on those ups and downs that it was impossible. Those mines were followed by rather uneventful/easy part of course (dirt road, rolling hills in forest, some nasty climbs, but all in all - nothing too tough). And THEN it started. Warning sign of upcoming ''fun'' was a glade (? I trust GoogleTranslate on this) w lots of branches, slippery after all the rain, so it took lots of focus. And then - the first swamp. Omg. The biggest nightmare of my barely functioning, 100x injured ankle, which was turning in all the right and wrong angles there. True strength workout too, w legs soaking in (thanks again, rain) on every step, shoes getting very heavy etc. A little rest after that w rather flat segment, then ANOTHER swamp, this time shorter section. But the legs had already suffered, so the cumulative fatigue became a factor. Soon after that was a climb so vertical they had tied a rope there to help us out. There was literally no other way to get up there unless you're an alpine climber. Seriously. So, from leg workout we got to arm workout Big grin I think that was the moment (around mile 8), at which I said ''my legs are dead, screw the pace or placement, I just want to get to the finish line, I will walk every remaining climb if I have to''. Partially because of swamps/mines, but other important thing was that there were waaay less/shorter flat segments than I am used to in trail races, and those hills were, even if approximately in the same frequency if you count them, but every single one of them was a lot tougher than your average climb in a Latvian trail race. So it all added up and my legs were in panic mode very fast. At mile 9 we got to aid station, which had everything - gummy bears, watermelon, chocolate, water, Coke etc. I was so tired that I took a bit from everything + Isostar gel Big grin The remaining distance was repeat of 2nd part of the 1st lap - meaning swamps, vertical rope climb etc etc. Basically, hey - you have only 5mi left, but those are the repeat of toughest part of the course! Omg.

After I got to the finish line w legs all in mud and shirt soaked in mixture of sweat, rain and mud, all I could do was hug DH, mom (she decided to, quote, ''take a look at those suicidal people running this race, including you''), sit down (w lots of ''sound effects'') at the nearest table and ask for a beer. DH is rarely openly showing emotions, he’s the – pat on the shoulder / you did well – type of person and you can only read the “I am proud of you” part in the eyes, but this time there was a big hug that felt like “I thought I would never see you again” Big grin

They ran out of beer few moments after I finished (!!!!!!), but we drove to our friends who live nearby and had invited us over, so I got my beer there and passed out in a chair Big grin

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 5 with strides tonight.

Liz, enjoy Body Pump!

Lori, nice job!  Like I said, that does not mean you cannot finish the race. I think the first hot days are hard to run in.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Elina, great job on your race!

Damaris

Howdy!

Did the local duathlon yesterday.  I was first in my AG! Actually, I was the ONLY one in my AG, but ok.  Smile It was really hot, but I needed to get out there.  Did some shopping, cut the front yard in the evening. I was beat.

Cut the back yard this morning.  1.5 hours! I hope the riding mower is out of the shop this week!  Family is coming over in a bit for lunch and swim.

Lori--Wow on 39 miles!!!

Elina --congrats on the tough trail race.

Check y'all later!

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Elina that race sounds super hard but it appears you enjoyed it. Congratulations!!!!!! But not cool that the beer ran out. I hate when that happens.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Anonymous Guest

8 miles for me this morning. It was not completely miserable, but only because there was a bit of a breeze. Temps in the mid 70s, dew point in the low 70s. Came home and jumped in the pool. I need to go to the grocery store soon to get some food to take to the neighbor's pool party this afternoon. Nothing else planned except actually going to the neighbors. 10K tomorrow at 7:30, but it's only a 10 minute drive, so I don't even have to get up any earlier than the dogs would get me up anyway.

Nice job getting out and running in the humid summer temps Damaris, HCK and Laura!

Congrats on the AG win, Susan! Have fun with the family today. If you can stay awake that is, your day yesterday sounded exhausting.

Lori, first hot day of the year and you made it 39 miles? Dang, girl, great job. Don't be so hard on yourself, sounds like it was a tough day for everyone. I haven't run 39 miles in an entire week since Glass City.

Kathryn, congrats on the ultra finish!! Assume you're making the long drive home now, that sounds almost harder than the race.

Liz, my Y does have the Core class, but they only offer it at 7:15 at night. I prefer the middle of the day classes when everyone else is at work. I did have a fb memory today from a few years ago that mentioned P90X core synergistics....maybe I should start doing some of those DVD workouts again. Hope the hair turned out well. And that you had a fun time with your brother and his wife and baby E.

Elina, congrats on the race. That sounds.....really hard. Anything that requires a rope to pull you out gets crossed off my list of races I want to do. Not to say Lisa hasn't talked me into doing such races in the past.....cough.....DWD.....cough.

Lisa, sounds like you are having a fun weekend!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

A bit of a race recap, then try to catch up later since I am at work.

Drove up Friday night and Diane and I pulled into the hotel at virtually the same time.  Dropped our stuff off and headed to the race start, a whopping 6 minutes away!  Got our stuff (including a hideously ugly race shirt - a possum riding a unicorn over a rainbow on fire...)  Went and got some pizza and I crashed about 7pm.  Not sure about Diane as I was sound asleep.

Got up at 5am, headed to the race at 6 and got one of the last spots my car could fit in.  Hung out and headed to the start, in the same parking lot, about 6:40.

Started the race, walking of course which was the plan.  Ended up walking with another woman for the first 4 miles or so.  The footing was bad, so it slowed Diane and I down and we lost her.  About mile 7.5 Diane and I split up.  We decided it wouldn't be safe for her to do the course at night due to the rocky footing so I trudged on.  At the mile 10 aid station she messaged me saying she dropped with a migraine.  Sad

The first loop was not horrible temp wise, though getting a bit warm.  I had on a cami and skirt with my hydration vest packed with pizza, nuts, turkey, and pumpkin loaf.  The second loop, it was really getting bad.  Each aid station I stopped for ice in my arm sleeves and bra.  "Boob Ice" as one volunteer said.  It did cool down enough at sunset to be comfy.  At some points early in the second loop I was overheating, but kept drinking ice water and improved.

I kept going to the start/finish - 17.5 miles by my Garmin.  Met Diane and chatted for a bit and I contemplated going back out.  I messaged Lisa and another GF and they both encouraged me to head out.  I told the race director I was indeed going out.  It was funny.  He said you look too damn good not to go back out.  I whined my feet hurt, and he told me to get the F back out there.  Pretty much his style!!!

So I started on the second on my own.  It was sandy through the first part, then turned rocky.  Really rocky.  Not huge boulders for the most part, but big enough and stuck in the ground enough to be a major pain.  About 3-4 miles into my second loop I caught back up with woman Diane and I started with!!!  It was awesome to have company, especially in our misery.  We were pretty equal in speed and pain.  I started the second loop with a blister on my outer foot, and finished the race with about 4-5 more.  That REALLY slowed me down.  Blisters while stumbling over rocks really sucked.

We both really struggled the second lap, my feet more than my legs.  Lisa was a rock star at pushing me through.  I lost her near the end, but I think she fell asleep waiting so long for me.

SO, I finished.  It wasn't pretty, it sucked at the end, but I did it and am indeed proud of it.

Ok, I should quit here before I lose you all and lose my post since I am at work.

Later!!!

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Half Crazy K 2.0

5 miles this morning. Slept in too late and it was way too warm.

BerthaSlayer, 39 miles on the first warm day is a lot!

CrazySue, congrats on the AG win!

Kilmisters, that race sounds tough.

KatS, congrats on the 56k!

DHuff, I'm sorry that it was not your day today.  Darn migraine.

Kilmisters, WOOO, that's my kind of race!  Getting lost sucks but it's great that you and the others figured it out and kept going.  The "obstacle course" effect with the swamps, ropes and climbing sounds fun (to me, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea).  When you're working that hard, you need to eat all the things at the aid stations.  And that beer was well earned for sure!

WTG Kat!  So much to love about your RR: your snacks, the joy of boob ice (I first discovered it at Missoula), rallying to get yourself out for the second loop, remote support from Lisa and others, having company for the final loop of misery, and GETTING IT DONE!  Yeah blisters suck but they'll go away... the accomplishment will not!  Nice job.

CrazySue, nice AG win!  Not your problem if the other ladies in your AG were too chicken to do the race.  

Karen, enjoy the BBQ and have a good race tomorrow.  Hope the temps aren't too bad.

Damaris, enjoy the 5 today.

HCK, nice 5 for you too.  Ick on hot temps.

Carol, kayaking sounds like fun.  How far north is "up north" for you?

Lizzie, yikes on the fire at one of your sites!  Do you have to deal with the insurance cos. and other stuff post-fire?  Guessing that they'll be some kind of investigation by the fire department.

Lori, sounds like everyone had a tough day out there.  39 miles is a great accomplishment.

I did kettlebell class this morning and then 5 easy miles around the neighborhood.  My head is still stuffed up but it's just annoying, not terrible.  Taking it easy for the next few days, have a 100k on Sat.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Happy sunday!

Did 5 miles solo then 5.5 with a couple of trail sisters. Brunch out afterwards was something different for me. (and yes I brought an entire change of clothing... none of this "I'll just switch shirts" silliness for this super sweater here. Then met up a former college room-mate (duh... not a current college room-mate) to go feather bowling. Belgian Feather Bowling... they had a very good Belgian beer selection. This was my really big round.  My stone is the one touching the feather! Actually kind of fun... the imperfectly shaped stones, imperfect surface and beer create enough randomness to the game to make it not all that competitive. At least not for us. Dinner out later that night with Abhay and his two sons who are visiting from Boston at a vegan place. Planning on running long tomorrow.

Margaret-I know moving is a bummer but it would be nice to be in a nicer area than where I live now.

Carol-Now you know what feather bowling is. the team with the stones that are closer than any of their opponent's stones scores a point for each stone that is closer. Could be 1 point on up to 6. Have fun at your summer place!

Liz-well it wasn't a fake emergency. Not looking to move in together.. that would spoil all the fun we have. LOL Plus he lives almost 1.5 hours from my work.

Lori-so see how far you get in the 100. What's the worst that can happen? You get pulled and have a 100k finish time but maybe went further than 100k. So what. "Failure" is always an option. Then you'll know for the next time what to work on... or decide that it's just dumb to go longer than 100k. It's not like it's our first trip to the land of DFL or DNF because of cutoff. Life seems to have gone on so far when either of those have happened. it will if there is a DNF at a 100 mile race too. But I would say that if you know that DNFing at the 100 m will make you feel bad then move to the 100k and enjoy it! That's perfectly okay; it's whatever you want to do. And that road running in the sun BS totally sucks the life out of any of us trail runners. We need our rolling hills, rocks to try to not turn our ankles on and the canopy of trees over our heads.

Elina-What a fun race!!! Those on here who have done any of the Dances With Dirt races will attest to it sounding very familiar. "some trail with lots of stupid off trail parts". Awesome way to learn that trying to go by some in your head road pace on most trails just doesn't work. Which just made me realize how when I was talking about Shannon's "friend" at Mohican complaining about not being able to go slower than a 16-17 min/mile pace without causing injury, it may not have made sense. You don't actually "run" that pace it's just the average of your wide range of paces. LOL Anyway... great race report and nice job!!

Damaris-so happy to see that your runs are back to being fun again!

Sue-woohoo! Way to be the only one to compete!

Karen-You did TWO DWD races... I think you need Gnaw Bone next year in Indiana. I mean, how long has it been since you have had to worry about poison ivy and taping your shoes onto your feet during a race?

Kat-I would love that shirt! The medal is AWESOME! I love how you pack your vest! Sounds like a 7-11! I love RD's like that. Embrace the lie! Ha! I did fall asleep. Sorry... BTW.. I wasn't doing any pushing (except the saw on those logs) you were the one pushing through the trucked in rocks. There will be much boob ice at Mohican too. LOL Really funny since they put the ice into rubber gloves and then I stuck the frozen hand down my shirt.

Diane-Darn migraine! And those rocks!! Good learning experience though to really try to find a course that is trail but not technical trail. They are out there. Or minimally technical. Mohican would NOT be one that I would recommend. Or try one of the timed loop ones with the smaller loops. That way you would get to "know" the trail during the day and learn your footing through repetition. There was a blind runner (with a guide) at the 24 hour one that Lori and I did. Learning where your strengths and weaknesses lie is a huge part of this running thing, then figure out what sort of race will best use the strengths and minimize the effect of the weaknesses. I really thought I would go cuckoo with the 2.75 mile loop but it turned out that it really became quite comforting to see the same trees, rocks, flowers, etc. There are many runners who would think that would be really hard to do compared to a point to point because of the mental aspect. It's a different challenge.

Margaret-We need to get you out for Dances With Dirt sister! Woohoo on the 100k on Saturday... you Loco girl! LOL

Lisa

Arimathea

Tessa

Lisa, so curling with no ice and with feathers?

Kat, you rock! Good job.

Just lost a large post and too tired to type it all again, sorry. Congrats to Diane, Elina, and others. Good night.