Womens Running

Yay its the WEEKEND!! (DAILIES) (Read 23 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

Hello Kat, ladies.  I've just been taking a bit of a break from social media.  I was finding myself sad, and worthless in comparing myself to others so I decided to just step back and regroup.

Good luck to you all and happy new year.

Kilmisters

Lizzie, maybe it's some subconscious stress before next week's unmentionable event? Big grin (sorry). Carrots in a cake? Ugh... That thing is conceptually supposed to be an unhealthy guilty pleasure not veggie bomb Big grin

Diane... Ugh... Try not to shoot yourself in the leg w comparing yourself w others... We all have our own stories and how/why we got to where we are. Do what you find best, of course, and remember we're always here for you.

12.5mi today, felt perfect! 18 degrees, no wind and light snow; managed to include all - trails, remote roads, and center of the town. Fastest non-race 12+mi run ever, according to Smashrun... After 2 games in 3 days? Oh well. I guess floorball is so different from distance running that it sort of counts as a rest instead of additional workload. Either way, happy!

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah, I remembered our picture after we had parted. Although it was better in case this was contagious.

I went to bed with a fever and woke up with a light fever so I DNSd. Richard PRd by 6 mins.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hello Kat, ladies.  I've just been taking a bit of a break from social media.  I was finding myself sad, and worthless in comparing myself to others so I decided to just step back and regroup.

Good luck to you all and happy new year.

What Elina said. We are not all the same and have to work with what we have. Don’t compare yourself to others and enjoy being a bad ass for what you do right now. Because you are.

Damaris

Arimathea

Tessa

Damaris, sorry you were not feeling well, congratulations to Mr. D on the PR!

Diane, I understand that social media can make you feel unhappy and like you don't measure up. Remember people tend to post things that show them in a good light, rather than everything -- you hear about the wonderful run someone had but you don't often hear about their miserable slog or that they got out for 10 minutes and then sat in Starbucks and pretended they were out for a run before coming home.

You have come a long way and your achievements are worthy of admiration!

Elina, sorry so many of the experienced people did not show up -- at least that is what I gather happened -- but good that the rookies had a chance to play!

Karen, good of you to be there for your first timer.

Liz, carrot cake is delicious. Which recipe did you use?

Waving to everyone else. Short run yesterday (8.5), 4 this morning, heading out for a few more this afternoon. It's very windy here. Hoping for a long run tomorrow since we are off for MLK holiday. And yes I did do some community service this weekend -- a house in Glendale no longer has surplus grapefruit, lemons, or avocados, and the food pantry has 93 pounds of fruit (avocado is technically a fruit) which it wouldn't otherwise have.

DHuff, thanks for checking in.  Agree with what others have said: everyone has their own stories, strengths, weaknesses, good days, bad days, etc. Remember that social media presents a limited, filtered picture of other people and their lives.  And, we are all our own worst critics and quick to perceive things we dislike about ourselves.  That's hardly a level playing field for making comparisons.  But I get it, it's hard not to do it when bombarded with social media content.  I hope taking a break is giving you some peace of mind.

Kilmisters, frustrating about the EST game and your side not having some players who should have been there.  But on the positive side, you and your rookies played well and you had a great run today.  Not sure if things completely counterbalance each other, but it least you ended up happy.    What are your team's chances in the must-win game next week?

Damaris, ugh on being sick. Sorry the race did not work out for you, but congrats to your hubby on his PR.

Lizzie, so sweet that you made your mom carrot cake!  The most important thing about carrot cake (which makes up for the fact that there are carrots in it) is the frosting... it has to have really yummy cream cheese frosting.  Sounds like you paid attention to this important detail, good!    I bet your mom loved that you made her a cake.

Waiting for Karen to report back about her HM and her running group!

Everybody must be busy today!

MTA: Hi Tessa, cross posted!

I ran 15 today, partly trails, partly roads.  Warmish, in shorts and short sleeves.  Started off well, but then I lost gas and had to take some breaks.  I think I didn't eat enough... I typically have about 100 calories every hour, but I let is slide today and only had 80 calories despite being out there 2:45 hours.  Silly, I know better.    Also stopped a couple time to watch the big waves at Mavericks.  Lots of surfers out (but conditions are apparently not quite right to have the big surfing contest at Mavericks).

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks. I am OK missing a race. I have lots of DNFs and DNSs. Not worth running sick

Hubby didn’t even threaten me. He was like stay in bed. Want me to stay with you? Nooo!  Someone has to run!

We are in for 2019. 😂

Damaris

Kilmisters

Damaris, hoping you feel better! Congrats to DH, tho! Glad to hear no vodka/hotel threats were made this time Big grin Smile

Margaret, nice miles! Shorts? What temps do you have there? [remember, I am still a little lost when it comes to weather specifics Smile]. And yeah, there's a reason why running nutrition is a science on its own...

Not sure if things completely counterbalance each other, but it least you ended up happy.    What are your team's chances in the must-win game next week?

I think the good thing about work/K/floorball/running mix is that at least one thing is going ok at all times, so it's just a matter of focusing on the positive side Smile [which is not always that easy] As for floorball, we've faced the team twice this season; 8:3 and 7:4, both times leading 7:1 and then taking the foot off the pedal a bit. Absolutely a must-win game when it comes to play-off considerations.

Tessa, oh, so 8.5mi counts as a short run? Smile

Calm evening with NHL and NBA (thank yyyyouuu, matinee games!!) on non-stop since 7:30pm. The ankle is, well, in an interesting color. Funny, since I really didn't feel any problems during yesterday's game, nor today's run... DH is arguing I should go see a doc tomorrow, but we'll see how that (apparently) piece of glass of mine feels tomorrow.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Hi! I finally figured out the Strava thing.  And some of my runs had been recorded twice, using Garmin AND phone data.  I deleted the duplicates and I still need 8km by tomorrow.  I'll be out as soon as the sun comes up.

Ran 9.1 w my running buddy this morning.  We were the ONLY ones there.  Sometimes up to 30 people.  Today only two.  It was cold, especially when we were running into the wind, but we had a great run.

Bummed the Saints lost.

Hi Diane! Missed you.  You are a fabulous person.  Don't let others get to you.

Anonymous Guest

I am tired, y'all. Almost two minutes faster than my November half - 1:47:55. That is unofficial, because the start line map didn't register my chip, so they have me starting right at 7 instead of 7:03 when I actually started. I was just going to let it go, but I don't like looking at 1:51:03 because I didn't run that, I ran my fastest in four years. So I emailed the race, will see what happens.

My two half marathoners were ecstatic with their finishes. They got kinda confused at the start and both started their gamins early, so didn't realize they were actually several minutes faster than they thought! The two that ran the November half both came down and spectated, which was really awesome of them to do. My marathoner was doing great, didn't go out too fast, but about halfway started getting cramps and ended up doing a lot of walking. He ended up finishing just under 6 hours. One of the half girls and her sister there spectating drove me out to mile 23, we pulled out the sister's signs and cheered for runners until he came by. We saw him and the started screaming his name like he was a rock star (he's super quiet and was both thrilled and embarrassed). I then ran/walked with him to about 25.5 when we hit downtown and they put the fencing up on the sides to keep spectators out. I am so proud of all three of them.

My speedy neighbor ran the marathon in 2:52. He is an amazingly talented runner. He ran that on one 20 miler and a peak week of 48 miles. Imagine what he could do with a couple years of training.

Sorry for no personals, I am just beat. Talk to ya tomorrow.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel