Womens Running

A bit too warm Weekend (dailies) (Read 21 times)

Kilmisters

Can, someone, please, turn the heater off for this country 

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Kilmisters

No thread yet? Ok, I will start w the race report Smile

So, 20k trail race yesterday. I would like to start off by saying that there is nothing I hate more/handle worse when running than heat. Rain? Wind? Snow? Blizzard? All of that together? Sure. Heat? Oh hell no. I am one of those people, who when there is a superhot day, watches all the excited camping/travelling/omgitissuchacuteday people from the window of my room, while sipping ice cold beer/Margarita and grumpily hoping the horror of 80+degrees ends soon. So, finding out that the day of trail race will be warmest of the year so far (79*F)... Fun! Water-belt (two bottles 8.5oz each) saved me! At first it seemed very clumsy and I even started to question not trying it in training first, but after 2 miles or so I was glad I had it. I am not sure how to describe the race itself, other than constant character fight w heat (and water management), especially the 3 miles in the middle - around a lake in open sun (it felt like running on treadmill - legs are moving but you're not getting anywhere, because that tree is as far from you as it was 2 minutes ago Big grin). Elevation profile was challenging, but not too horrible (except, f*** those megastairs in last mile!). I had made a decision very early in the race to ignore pace entirely; looked at Garmin only to understand how far the next water station is; walked almost all biggest climbs; getting to finish line being win in itself. There have been trail races where I challenged myself by at least trying to run up those climbs, but wasn't going to do that in first trail race of season and heat I am not used to.

Anyway, good training race and beer tasted better than ever in finish zone Big grin Obviously, miniK did her usual ''wanna see all the things'' trip around the start/finish zone the entire time (so DH was a bit tired even w/o racing), while miniE slept thru the whole thing. Typical for both of them Smile

Edit: because of the stupid heat and decision to ignore pace I had same ''steps'' at every water station: 1) drink a glass of water 2) fill the water belt 3) pour another glass of water all over the ''Trail Sisters'' hat 4) turn the music back on 5) proceed

Edit#2: my mom was running the same distance and I was about to leave the water station at 10k mark, but noticed she had just reached it, so poured half a glass of water all over her and ran off, still haven't heard from her whether that ''ah'' was ''how nice'' or ''WTF'' Big grin

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

If I could, I'd ask for your heat to be over nighted here.  I fear it is going to be a cold spring here. Weather here has done this before: very cold spring going directly into mid 90's by end of May. Feels like we are doing it again.

Great work on the 20k trail race! Glad the bottles of water worked out. Is there any sloshing problem with them?

In no time flat, miniK will be off on a race of her own. MiniE is definitely in training. 

Sunday Buddy's daughter was with him this morning. It's always fun when the 3 of us do the trail together. We had a lot of rain, puddles to dodge, but got in about 65 minutes of easy running in a slight drizzle. Osprey on the nest, they are still working on making it larger. Friday the Doc said I could run Monday if I felt better. We will not tell him that I did an easy run today. 

Happy runs and recoveries, All ! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Kilmisters

Is there any sloshing problem with them?

In no time flat, miniK will be off on a race of her own. MiniE is definitely in training. 

Actually no, just a bit of getting used to carrying that extra weight. There is a kids distance in this trail race series (1k if I recall correctly) and DH wants to walk that distance w miniK @ next stage Smile

Kilmisters

Edit: (accidental post, I quoted myself, blame the beer) 

Arimathea

Tessa

I was going to say "where the Hell is everyone?" then I remembered a) they were actually in Hell and b) probably not posting this weekend.

Elina, not much sympathy here for temperatures of 80 F...but I live in Los Angeles. 80 is what we set the air conditioning to. It gets above 100 on a routine basis here, above 110 not infrequently, and it has come close to 120 on occasion.

Judy, take care of yourself if you are sick!

4 yesterday and 4 today. Not a big run either day. But I did get something done.

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Arimathea, when we lived in Wash. DC, sometimes it would go up to 111°. Lots of humid came with it.

This sick thing was a weird infection starting in the throat and migrating. Face began puffing up. It has spread rapidly here. I've got an antibiotic since it was getting worse. I couldn't sleep because of the cough. Better now.

Sunday Buddy and his daughter and I did a run (I interspersed some walking) out the trail. It’s always such fun when she is visiting and comes along.

This morning I did 20 minutes before I had to get off to errands. DC is off to a legal seminar and will be back on Wednesday. At least the run went better. It was effortless and that was my goal. Doc said I could start running today. (We won’t tell him about yesterday.)
                Happy runs, All ! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We can see 100-115 heat indexes from February to November, but so far we have only had a week or so of those this year so far.  We have been in the 90s for the most part.

Damaris