Womens Running

Worrying Wednesday (Read 11 times)

Anonymous Guest

I had a miserable night's sleep last night. Yesterday I went to get our FMM paperwork done for Baja and realized my passport expires in July. The internet says Mexico is a country that doesn't have the six month rule, but then this form from the Mexican government wouldn't let me submit with an expiration date less than six months away. An expedited passport now takes 5-7 weeks, so even if I realized all this when we first decided to go, I wouldn't have had the time. The only option left for me is to go to a passport agency center and get a new one in person. I need proof of travel within two weeks (they said Mexican car insurance will work) and the appointment can be no more than 5 days before the trip, so I am freaking out a little. I am tempted to buy a one-way bus ticket to Mexico and use that to get an appointment sooner. Luckily both the Houston and Dallas passport agencies are doable as one-day trips from here. But as a person that likes to get to the airport early, plans out itineraries way in advance, etc., this is causing much angst.

Probably a rest day today. Think I'm going to go get new passport photos done.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Karen, ugh, I hear you.  It would be especially aggravating to have to sit around until 5 days prior to leaving.  Not a bad idea to use a faux Mexico trip, like a bus ticket, to get the passport done earlier.

I've been up since 4:30, since DH needed a ride to the airport and there are no reliable apps or ride shares from here to SFO at that time of day.  Got about 4 hours of sleep last night.  Fortunately it seems to be a quiet week at work, although there is stuff I should be doing so that next week isn't too terrible.  Meh.

Speed work on the schedule today but unclear whether that will happen this morning or after work.  Or at all.  On my second cup of coffee.  Wish me luck.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I have 5 later.

Ugh, Karen. That would keep me up at night too. Hoping you can resolve it.

Margaret, hope you get your speedwork in.

Damaris

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Karen I hope you get it resolved quickly! That reminds me that I should check my passport expiration date.

I was going to run today but just didn't feel like it.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Anonymous Guest

Since I was going to the bank and to get my passport picture taken this afternoon and I knew it would be cold in those places, I put on a pair of yoga pants and a shirt without a race logo or place on it. DH comes in and says "what are you all dressed up for?" Yep, when you're retired yoga pants and a t-shirt without words is dressed up. And now I have a passport photo for the next ten years with big bags under my eyes from not sleeping. Oh well.

Not much else here. I did go out and run 4 this morning before it got really windy.

Margaret, hope you got the speedwork done, but if I got up that early I'd probably opt for a nap instead.

Damaris, glad the 5 went well.

Lori, I had no idea when mine was expiring - haven't even thought about travel since pre-covid until a few weeks ago. DH says "maybe I should just get a new one too" but his doesn't expire until 2023. It's apparently not as bad here as it was at the beginning of covid, but it's still messed up. There is absolutely no way to get a new passport between 5-7 weeks out (so say 7+ for mail each way and worst case scenario) for an expedited one, and 5 days before travel for urgent. It used to be that expedited was 2-3 weeks, so it made a little more sense. The state department here now recommends getting it renewed 9 months before it expires (so they have 3 months to get you a new one and you are good with the 6 month rule most countries have).

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Half Crazy K 2.0

5 miles with strides plus lower body strength.

AnonymousGuest, yikes on the paassport issues. Guess I should check mine at some point. LOL on yoga pants and a non-race shirt as dressed up. My "dressy" work attire when I go on-site is a school logo t-shirt, jeans and running shoes. After 20 years, I have lots of school logo shirts.

GatsbyBird, ouch on the early wake up. I'd be chugging coffee all day.

Docket, hope the 5 went well.

BerhtaSlayer, I think everyone went to check their passports. Not that I am going anywhere.

ETA, were some of you (I think maybe LC?) doing Caroline Girvan's workouts on youtube? If so, what do you think of them? I saw the Iron series and thought it sounded interesting and something different. I have no races on the horizon, so I could probably play around with my run schedules (I try to do hard days on the same day as leg days).

Intervals done!  Had more energy than I thought I would.  Also took a page from Lori's book and had a nice headwind on the way back.   I suck at naps.  Tried to sleep a little after logging off of work, but I couldn't.  Will go to bed early tonight.  Booster side effects are gone, except my upper arm still feels like someone punched me where I got the shot.

Damaris, hope the 5 went well.

Lori, there's always tomorrow.

Karen, my passport picture is me with overgrown covid hair plus bags under my eyes.  I'm so glad that look is now memorialized for the world to see for the next 10 years.  I renewed during the pandemic and it took around 4 months.

HCK, I think LC recommended the strength workouts.  I've been doing a few things that my coach recommended (lunges, step-ups, planks) twice a week.  I do them on hard run days.  As minimal as it is, I think it's made a difference.

Good night, all!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR