Womens Running

Man, its MONDAY (DAILIES) (Read 19 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

Yep...a banana is about all I can manage but watermelon is good too on a hot day.  The ultras I've done or volunteered at have all sorts of food and it's funny watching the finishers eat everything in site.  Lisa tried so hard to get me to eat after the Hawk but all I managed was half of a hot dog and part of a beer.  Next morning was another story as I stopped at IHOP on the way home and ate a bunch there.  PH was the same way...nothing much after but the next morning since I stayed at a Holiday Inn I ate as much as possible, lots of coffee too.

Arimathea

Tessa

Kat, those are some awesome pictures. And I am not sure I would have finished either. Yowza.

Diane, I just bought 2 pairs of Hokas that were on clearance from runningwarehouse.com -- $124 total for 2 pairs.  You can have my chocolate milk after a race, I don't like it, but agree that fruit bars are good. The Great Race of Agoura is sponsored by Dole and they usually donate a whole lot of little cups of fruit in juice -- you know the type of thing, mostly meant for lunch boxes. They are really good on a hot day.

Liz, Applebees? Most of the ones in our area closed some years ago. No great loss. I agree with Diane on being sorry for those who lose their jobs, but honestly if I want to eat a microwaved dinner I can do that just fine at home and spend a lot less money.

Cathy, sorry about the fall.

Great news!! DD has been offered a real job! She's waiting on the formal offer which will be emailed to her once all her references complete their emailed survey and send it back -- the dean of her school hasn't done it yet, that's the only one. Whirlwind week. DD has been applying to places where she knows people she might room with and has had no success, last week my mum and sister said they'd help her out with the first few months' rent which would mean a much wider field of possibilities. Some states are out because they require at least a year's internship or experience, ours being one of them and our next door neighbor (home of Lost Wages) being another. So she started looking at positions in good sized but not too expensive cities in other nearby states. Found a job that had just been posted in Good Size City two states north. Applied Sunday evening. Acknowledgement Monday, contact to schedule pre-interview call Tuesday, call Wednesday, email to set up formal interview on Thursday, phone interview with a number of people on Friday, and at the end of the interview they offered her the job. She is gobsmacked, incredulous, thrilled, and nervous.  As soon as she has the formal offer signed and sent back she will give 2 weeks notice at her current job, we need to get her up to the city on her day off to look at apartments -- she has 5 strong possibilities bookmarked and rents for 1 + 1 seem to be running between $750-$950 depending on the location. Southwest flies into Good Size City with one change of planes. Then once she's worked out her notice she will drive up to the new city with DS -- Eureka first, where her cousin lives, then Portland, then to GSC on the third day. Get unpacked and put her brother on a plane back home.

Yes champagne was popped on Friday evening. And on Saturday evening when her aunt (DH's sister) arrived for a celebratory dinner. And on Sunday evening at family dinner. Much rejoicing!

I am rather glad I didn't register for Twin Cities. Sorry Sandy, I won't be making that one. And the fall marathon in DD's new city is the same weekend as the CPCU annual meeting so I won't make it this year. Anyone want to do Spokane in October 2019?

dhuffman63

Trails

What's the weather like in Oct in Spokane?  Which race?  2019 is far enough away I can dream. Since I gave up dairy chocolate milk is out for me...as are those protein drinks made with milk protein.  Haven't tried the other plant proteins yet but am in no hurry either.  Congrats to DD...not too far away if only 2 states.

dhuffman63

Trails

Oh and which ones did you get?  I tried my Topo's yesterday on the TM and they ended up hurting the tops of my feet.  My Hoka Clifton 3's are no longer available and the ones I have are too worn and starting to bother me.

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Long day. Ready to go home! Well, heading to the gym soon for abs then home Smile

Damaris – Thoughts are with your DH today!

Sandy – Enjoy that rest day! Glad you had a nice relaxing weekend. Woohoo volleyball practice tonight! Are you doing anything special tomorrow?? Dinner or anything?! The cauliflower pizza..hmm..it really wasn’t that bad but I wish I had cooked the crust a little longer to make it crispy. I was so worried it would burn that I think I took it out too soon. Now I know. It must have been low fat because I woke up starving. LOL. YES we are staying Saturday night but coming home Sunday. It is only about an hour away. I did take Monday off of work though Smile Did you end up going to the grocery or are you going to starve this week?! LOL.

Margaret – Chile for a marathon?! LOVE it!! You can take all my rain. Ugh.

Kathryn – I am loving all of your photos. Did you use your new camera?! I am still so impressed by you right now!!

Judy – Nice running this weekend. Good luck at the grocery today..ugh..an annoying task.

Diane – Nice job on that treadmill run yesterday! You are turning into Damaris Smile Nice mileage week for you as well! Are you cutting back this week? And you are right – shoes cost a lot! I try to get them when the new model comes out..as in I get the older model. Cheaper! I am thinking about IHop after my race Sunday haha.

Cathy – Sucks you were on call, but sometimes its nice just to be at home for the weekend! OUCH sorry about the fall! Glad you didn’t hurt anything worse – like your foot Smile How did your fast co-worker do on the 8.4K? Smile I can’t believe you are going to be in the 50’s! That is warm for you! I heard on the news this morning that this is the warmest February we have had in a long time. Interesting because we had the coldest January in a while, too. Hmm fruit bar sounds good for post race! I am usually not that hungry either.

Tessa – I am not a fan of Applebees myself. I used to eat there all the time but haven’t in a long time! CONGRATULATIONS to DD!!! That is really exciting! Awesome news. I was wondering what you were up to this past weekend! I guess celebrating Smile

Have a great afternoon everyone!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Arimathea

Tessa

Diane, Cliftons were one pair, I know, but not sure what model. I can look at them late this evening when I get home.

Spokane -- cool and possibly rainy in October but not too bad. I am also looking thoughtfully at trail races in the area. Southwest is a direct (not nonstop) flight.

And it may be only two states but it's still nearly 1200 miles from my house to Spokane. California is a very long state!

Off to the gym. Stressful day needs some workout time.

Seloc

Tessa – HUGE congrats to DD!  That is awesome.  To get a job in your field fresh outa college I’d say that’s winning.  And, what a lovely part of the country!  I imagine that was quite a whirlwind week with how fast it all went.  No doubt she made quite an impression since they scooped her right up!!

Diane – a hot dog after a race?  Oh hellz no haha.  But, I’ll take some beer, please!  A nice frosty one at that.

Cathy – ouch on the fall!  That hurts.  50s?!!  OMG I’m jealous.  I always look at the maps when the weather comes on and I guess you are just that much further south that you seem to get MUCH better weather.  It’s going to be a tricky week running wise around here as every morning we’ll be dealing with the dreaded re-freeze.  8.4K race LOL – automatic PR!!  OMG, WI almost beat #2 Mich St yesterday in men's BB – it was a great game!  And that young kid with the bad shoulder is one tough dude.

Kat – oh wow, those pictures are AMAZING!  So so gorgeous.  Safe travels home!

Gatsby – LOL on living with the snow vs seeing it.  You’ll just have to come for a visit!  Ooooooh SUPER exciting about Patagonia next year!!  So many places to see, so little time and money.  My friend sent me a post that said “if traveling was free, you’d never see me”.  Yep, I can relate!!  I spent 2 weeks in SA and feel like I did NOTHING.  Santiago, Valpraiso, Vina del Mar and Easter Island.  Met folks that did the Patagonia trip – sounds gorgeous.  I can’t wait to live vicariously!!  Which marathon did you do in Aus?  NZ?  Asia?  I did Great Wall in 2005.  Been to both Aus and NZ with work and ran a 10K just outside of Sydney.  Would love love LOVE to go back!

Lizzie – I’m WFH tomorrow – my sister wants to take me to sushi lunch.    I have my first volleyball game(s) tomorrow evening – all are double headers.  So, nothing big.  But, that’s okay.  Next year is the BIG one haha.  Bummer on the not quite crispy cauliflower crust.  But, yeah, that is super healthy low carb – no wonder you were starving!  Oh, good, glad you got a hotel for the night before your race and SMART to take Monday off work to recover!!  Yeah, I made it to the grocery yesterday.  All buzzed up after two beers so I bought WAY too many snack items – popcorn, nuts and those veggie stix things (that probably do not have a single veggie).  But, I’m set now for a few weeks on all food stuffs so all good.

Had my review today – went well!  No raise company-wide but still got a decent bonus and positive feedback.  Brought up my wish to work from AZ next Dec-Mar.  He responded as I suspected: if our group stays as-is, he does not have a problem with it at all.  But, there was a fairly large acquisition last quarter and we still don’t know how all the groups will align.  I very well may get a new manager – no one knows.  I’m hoping to really start planning come June.  So, still wait and see but at least I didn’t get shot down.  Happy enough with that!!

Left my car at the shop for an oil change this morning.  $300 and new front brakes later…  Always something, I guess.  Since I can’t remember the last time I had the brakes replaced I just went with it.  Sometimes you just have to trust people – up-sell or not.  Have a good night!!

dhuffman63

Trails

Lizzie I will probably cut back but not sure how much yet...I'm going down to Tulsa Sunday to go to lunch with DD and that typically sucks up a day with driving there and back.

Sandy it was the Hawk trail marathon...took me 11 hours so not like I was racing...lol.  That's the one where I was throwing up about 4-5 miles in and falling all the time on the roots/rocks...not exactly moving quickly...lol. I was basically too tired to eat.  At PH that's the 50k where my backed locked up 2 miles from the finish.  That took 12 hours so not flying there either.  I just hurt so bad that all I wanted to do was go to bed.  In the morning I was fine and starving.

WFH today and not being very productive, sigh.  I have things that I COULD and SHOULD do, but the deadlines are not imminent so they aren't getting done...

Kat, thanks for sharing the pics!  Wow, what an adventure.

Turtles, haha, yes I have seen snow before.  But closest snow is about 4 hours away, and even though I like snowshoeing and cross country skiing (the boring winter sports), we don't manage to get up there very often...

Seloc, we did Auckland for the "oceania" continent (Aus/NZ/Polynesia).  For Asia, we did Cebu City marathon in the Philippines.  Africa was Cape Town.  Have done Antarctica and several in Europe and N. Am.  Also want to go back and see more of some places, but need to nail S. Am first!.  As you said, so many places, so little time and $$$.

DHuff, definitely investigate plant sources if going dairy-less -- you need protein to build ultra muscles!  Woohoo on longest mileage week ever!

Lizzie, totally normal to be hungry while tapering.  But not sure that I will be trying cauliflower pizza any time soon... love regular pizza too much!

Hi Judy.  Productive weekend for you as usual!

Tessa, woohoo on DD's job offer!  Funny you should mention Spokane.  I recently found this souvenir sunhat from the last time I was there:

Okay, back to pretending to work...

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Anonymous Guest

Busy group today. Or maybe I usually check in in the morning and it's already late afternoon. I ran 6 easy this morning - I love taper, easy runs are so easy, yet the pace is so much better. Then some laundry, a hair cut and some groceries. Just another Monday.

Kat, those pictures are amazing. Must be incredible to see in real life. Adding to my long list of places I need to see.

Tessa, congrats to DD! New employer is lucky to get her. I still remember that first drive down to a new city after college for a job.

Diane, fantastic mileage this past week, and wow on 4 hours on the TM. Pretty good pace on that one too.

Liz, if those wind gusts are downwind, woohoo, and it will probably feel warmer than expected. If they are upwind, find somebody to hide behind. A nice big guy works great.

Margaret, love the hat! What were you, 5 or 6 at the time? I was in Spokane briefly in July, didn't see much of anything but the airport though.

Sandy, good news that current boss is open to AZ next winter.

Cathy, yikes on the fall. 50s sounds warm for you guys. I am excited it is going to get down to 50 for the start of Saturday's race here.

Damaris, hang in there, take it easy. Best to hubby.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Karen, it's busy around here because I'm farting around and getting F-all done at work.

See?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

dhuffman63

Trails

I was surprised too at the over all pace.  Every 4 miles I pretended I was at an aid station, went potty, grabbed some cookies, got a banana one time, stirred the chili, grabbed another water bottle.  If it will stop raining long enough and the weather cooperates it would be nice to try the road.  Right now it's nothing but a mudhole.

LC Runs

Hi Ladies!

Yeah for Monday work day being over!

2.3 miles after work...weights this morning.

Puppy is doing really well, we've named her Zoey, which means we are planning on keeping her.  My older dog is doing better with her, she just loves him but he treats her like a pesty little sister LOL!

Lizzie - I hope they don't close our Applebees, though it is pretty busy most of the time because it's right off of I 75 and next to the outlet mall.  I am so glad my taxes are done, now I am working to get my DS college paperwork filled out, way more than my DD had.  Nice speedwork this morning!

Damaris - GREAT job on the  races!!  Thinking of you and DH!!

Sandy - I don't mind Applebees too much though they change the menu too much for my liking.  I agree restaurants need to change it up but I swear every time I go in there my favorite dishes are gone.  I got a sirloin stir fry that was good.  Our waitress was really bad though and BF is kind of a pain with bad service, so I end up feeling bad for the server.  I am liking the new brewery, I know you asked about it a couple of weeks ago; good beer and they have a pretty good menu.  Of course, it's pricier $$.  Glad you got some couch time yesterday, you deserved to relax!!

Kat - wow, BEAUTIFUL and very challenging!!  And no way would I get on that little plane LOL!!

Judy - hope you had a great day!!

Diane - WOW nice week and awesome 16 on the TM, I bow to you!!  Have you checked Running Warehouse for shoes?  I always order from the clearance (last year's model) and they are usually in the $55-70 range).

Cathy - ouch on the fall, I am terrified of ice.  I do the 'penguin walk' most of the winter from the parking lot to the office.  That's why I won't run in the dark in the winter here.  We are still working on our GS cookies from December LOL!

LC Runs

Tessa  - CONGRATS to DD!! That is so exciting!!

Lizzie - I meant to ask if you watched TWD?  We have it DVRd and will watch it tonight!

Hi Karen!!

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Lizzie, wow, your race is just a few days away.  That snuck up!  You will kill it.  Oddly, no, I did not use my new camera, just my phone for everything.  Not sure why.

Damaris, hoping today went well for DH.  Looking forward to your RR.

Sandy, sounds like a nice day yesterday.  Smart move staying in today.  Bummer about the brakes, but can't put those off!!

Margaret, congrats on your race.  What a fun time you must have had getting the continents.  S America is last, yes?

Judy, I can't imagine you purging books.

Diane, congrats on the mileage this week, awesome!!!  Yes, shoe prices are crazy.

Cathy, bummer about the black ice, but yum, GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!  I will sheepishly admit to buying "some."  OK, 10 boxes of Tagalongs.

Tessa, how wonderful for your DD, I hope she enjoys it.  Smile

Karen, definitely worth doing/seeing.  ONCE.  Even though I didn't finish I want no part of getting revenge on the course and finishing it.

Laura, awesome you are keeping Zoey, she is a cutie and is lucky to have a good home with you.

At the airport now, killing time at a bar.  Who ME??  I was going to go to a spring training baseball game, but I forgot about parking and wasn't prepared to pay $20 for that plus the cost of the ticket.  So instead I went to the Desert Botanical Gardens.  I liked it, maybe not $25 worth, but glad I did it.

A bit sore still, but not as bad as it could have been.  My knees hurt and have a small bruise from literally climbing on my hands and knees up rock formations.  Hopefully the half this coming Saturday won't be as challenging.

Had a lovely time with Diana and Lisa.  Both ladies are a hoot.

Thanks for all the kind comments on my not finishing an on the photos.  It was a great weekend.

OH, and all you ladies who are out there in the FREEZING cold, you are my heros.  Think I said that before, but DAMN, it is true.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024