Womens Running

Motor Monday (dailies) (Read 20 times)

Anonymous Guest

Hey all! I was going to do a rest day today, but decided to go out and run a few super easy miles. Just 3. I haven't done much else today, pretty much taking a day off from everything. May spend some time reading in my hammock This afternoon. Excited Lisa is coming down here in January to run, thinking I might do the 20 miler there. It's 5 weeks before my March marathon, so a good time for a 20. Kat, you should drive over Friday night and stay here, otherwise that's going to be a long long day. It's 30-40 minutes from my house. Welcome to stay here after as well, we'll get Mike to fire up the heat for the hot tub so it's ready when we get done running.

I can't believe it's almost Thanksgiving already! We are picking up the minivan rental this Saturday and starting the long drive to Florida. Little Riley has no idea what he's in for. Neither do it, quite honestly.

Lisa, very cool on going down and spending the night with DD before bringing her home for Thanksgiving. That job sounds like a good match for her.

Laura, yay for nice running weather after work. We keep getting a taste of cooler weather, then it warms back up. When I went out to run at lunchtime in was in the upper 70s. Too hot.

Liz, I was just remembering back to you saying you were going to try to take an entire week off after this one. It will be good for you.

Diane, cool on DH's response to your race planning. I've gotten that meh feeling after races before. You build it up and then it happens and you're like "that was it?" Which makes it harder to pick and start planning the next one, because are you going to go through all that for another meh race? When that happens (for me, the big one I remember is NYC Marathon, after all the hype and how everybody says it's just amazing, I walked away thinking I could take it or leave it), I just try to remember a not-meh event, like Boston, or a PR race, or one that had a big FE with it so the entire weekend was awesome, or even a race seeing my neighbors or my group runners do well and be excited. Like life, if everything was awesome we wouldn't appreciate it. We need some meh to make us appreciate the wow. At least that's what works for me.

Sandy, 6 hours of a "virtual summit"? Yikes, thanks for reminding me how awesome retirement is! You are too funny, of course I'd make you work hard! That's where the magic happens. Honestly though, one of the hardest parts of coaching is remembering that you are not coaching yourself and different people need different things. I think having this group of relative beginners has been really good for me - if I only had runners like Damaris, who takes everything I throw at her and asks for more, my sense of reality would be totally skewed. I still remember the instructor of the coaching class using me and one of my small group exercise members as an example of this - he overheard our conversation on the "runner" we were trying to help get to Boston. The other guy said he was running 40 miles a week so obviously had plenty of mileage already. The instructor heard that and my reply of oh no, no, no, no, no and just started laughing.

Judy, Sunday Buddy is a good guy, I'm glad you have him in your life. And for all these years, too!

Elina, give yourself a break. You crack me up. Just indulge in a rest day already.

Damaris, do we have to bubble wrap you between now and Space Coast? "and then I foggily remember I did".....hahaha. Sigh.

Cathy, cautiously optimistic is good. I am impressed with how well behaved you are as an injured runner! My runners were funny, I just cheered on the guy running (because I knew one of the girls would be coming shortly after him) and he said it really helped. He wasn't sure how much farther and felt like giving up until I told him he was almost done and just had to go around the corner and finish. The girl behind him is the one that I ran a little with and told her it was supposed to hurt......she took it pretty well. She told me she was hurting, and I told her that meant she was doing it right and to just focus on finishing. The whole group had this long conversation on mantras a few weeks ago where I tried to get them to each come up with one for themselves, then finally admitted mine were things like "suck it up, loser, anybody can run a mile" towards the end of a race. So they know I"m not very good at that "rah, rah" crap.

Tessa, I can understand why you'd be on the fence. Sounds like it would be a great course, but yeah, that's far. And if you add the cost of a hotel to that entry fee.....

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have a post race (event) question:  I know that people get the "blues" after a finish but I didn't get blue after the Hawk, I didn't after the Pumpkin and don't really feel blue...I just feel like nothing special happened.  I can't get the thought out of my head that doing a 50k wasn't anything special...it just was.  I have gotten more excited for the HM PR at the Joplin one in May.  It's like all my motivation/desire died and like Ginny I'm at a loss as to how to get it back.

That's the blues, actually...

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Karen, yeap.  That's why the knee thing was so confusing because I kept trying to remember if I had tripped that bad.  I didn't.  I think...

Damaris

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

I am taking Sandy's advice and not cross-training today! My poor hamstrings are sore to touch haha. Sitting down in my work chair is difficult! We will see how I feel tomorrow.

HCBF is home tonight so that is exciting! That will help keep my mind busy with not exercising Smile

BTW – Newport News (next race) is flat as a pancake…so there is a possibility there. Now if only the weather corporates.

Diane – Smashing a goal gives the biggest high. You know that, too!! Just have to remember what that feels like and it helps your drive! Oh cool! I would love to do a train trip. That is sweet of your DH to support you! I hope everything is getting better in that dept! I would consider you thinking that the 50K is “no big deal” as blues. Seriously. That is awesome you should be bragging about that to everyone!! Though I do like Tessa’s response Smile

Sandy – Ah, nice run! Sounds like perfect weather. Your legs are still tired? You must have really went hardcore! I have a foam roller but rarely use it. UGH its annoying and it hurts haha. What does a virtual summit entail? It sounds pretty boring for a MONDAY. I am hoping I stick with the no running this week, too! More for mental than physical. I have never taken a week completely off so we will see how I handle it. At least I can still cross train! TOTALLY get the food smell things. I hate having the house smell like last nights dinner. LOL. And bacon really does that..but its also really good. LOL. Maybe I need to shop at your grocery store. Smells like fried chicken? MMMMM haha. Let see I am wearing black pants with knee high boots and a light weight green turtle neck I got from hold navy! Its tunic so it looks cute with the boots. Wink Makes my boobs look flat though.

Judy – I am going to need to find this recipe for sweet potato soup!!! Wow, 22 years running together?! That is amazing and really awesome!! Does he not like to be outside in the cold? I know you don’t mind Smile

Kilmisters – Awe, your body is telling you you need a rest day. Regardless if headache was self induced or not!

Docket – Oh no on the achilles! Good luck on the 5 tonight and hopefully the Achilles doesn’t bother you.

Cathy – So wait. You have just been doing the elliptical without intervals this entire time? WHAT. That is endurance right there! LOL. The only way I can do an elliptical workout is if it is intervals haha. GO YOU. I like your plan with combining elliptical and running. It will be interesting to see how this weekend goes. I didn’t even know there was a 4:20 pace group haha. That is a good idea though..that pace for the 4:15 scares me. SCARES ME. I am excited to try it on some runs throughout the training cycle though. To see if I can keep it up. You are right about the McMillian plan – I like the balance of it too. OH did you request me on Instagram? I thought I saw that pop up yesterday but now I can’t find it! Maybe I deleted by accident.

Tessa – Did you already pay for the race?? I get the cost issue. Bummer.

Margaret – Get better already! And yes, I miss a lot of things from RWOL! But I do notice everytime I get forwarded to their site (an article) their site is all yucky and full of ads!

Karen – I didn’t realize you were driving to Florida! How long of a drive is that for you? Awww Riley is going to be a ball of energy when he gets out! Reading in the hammock sounds perfect. Love your advice to Diane. I am going to remember that when my blues kick in!

Okay. I am getting out of here soon. Have a great evening ladies!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Hi ladies.  Been off the radar awhile.

Still driving back and forth between AZ work home and northern AZ home.  DH is actually back in MN for a week, to check on house and see if he really regrets not being in the frigid artic temps, it was 11 degrees and his plane was de-icing in Twin Cities (last Friday).  I texted him  back "not here, it's 66 degrees and sunny!"

Moab trail HM was amazing!! Nov 5th, Sunday. There are too many HM runners that it's on Sat and Sun!!  The US Mountain Trail Running Championship was taking place too, with the marathoners.  I arrived there on Saturday and spent the day cheering on runners after picking up my race bib. The start time due to daylight savings time was abit confusing and was glad I camped out within walking distance.  It was ideal running day, start temps in the 50s, sunny and a breeze.  It was SANDY, SANDY with rocky areas for most of the first half.  I was doing great, within my time goal, great pace, passing alot of runners especially on the hills.  But around mile 2, another runner decided to get in front of me (there was plenty of room) while we were going down a rocky ledge.  NOT too technical and going slow, I had to stop in mid-air to change my landing and my left ankle ROLLED!!  Quickly sat down on another rock.  Runner says 'sorry' and keeps going. After a few swear words under my breath, I assessed my injury and dilemma.  Walk back 2 miles or keep going and see how it feels at first aid station at around mile 6.  Felt ok when walking so I decided to continue.  Obviously had to slow down alot and take a break to just rest.  Took alot of NICE photos tho'.   I kept going, one mile at a time, lots of rock boulders to climb up/down, scree ledges where you have to walk and hang on to another rock ledge above you, and creek crossing and run along that creek the last 2 miles.  Couple of areas, it was knee deep. I was impressed with myself that I jogged the whole way up the 'hill" (about a mile, crushed pebble/dirt) around mile 10.  Caught and passed some familiar runners who passed me earlier.  I finished with a smile!!  Sunday half had 571 runners total compared to Sat HM runners of 665!! Official time 3:23:54.  OV: 452/571.  Gender:  261/348.  AG: 26/49.  Not bad considering the sprained ankle.  Went to med tent after, iced/wrapped, then ate, and drove home.

It was an awesome course, challenging and breathtaking views!  Well worth the registration fee and drive IMO.  I hope to run the marathon next time.

dhuffman63

Trails

Diana what an asshole.  Glad you were alright though.

Diana what an asshole.  Glad you were alright though.

Diane:  whoa .........it happens.  I don't think she saw me till the last minute but it is what it is.  I'm just really relieved it wasn't any worse than it was.  There was a female marathoner who fell and dislocated BOTH her shoulders I heard.  OMG!! Lots of bleeding arms and legs and even on some faces.

My RB from MN is flying in.  We are running the Monument Valley trail marathon on Saturday!!  Can't wait!!

Spent all week with ankle elevated and icing it as much as possible.  Ran 10 miles on Sunday, felt ok.  Hope to get in a short run today.

laters, ladies

dhuffman63

Trails

Diana, had to reread it...at first it seemed she cut in front of you and disregarded checking to see if you were ok.  I've had a few do that to me but luckily not on any ledges.

Arimathea

Tessa

Karen, I think some of us have positive mantras with rainbows and unicorns wafting gently around the runner, and others have "suck it up buttercup" or 'move your arse woman" as ours. Good luck on the drive to Florida with Riley. Minivan? So you have room for everyone to spread out?

If I do do this race I'm not getting a hotel. It's a Saturday morning race so I'd have to take Friday off or drive up late Friday night, I might as well sleep at home and then start very early (as in 2 AM early) and drive up then. Not worth paying for a hotel for a few hours of sleep. And I definitely can't stay the night afterwards because I'm scheduled to be crucifer at the early service on Sunday.

Cathy, sleepovers don't change much, it seems. There's always one kid who's frightened and wants to go home. I must say none of the parents we knew ever slept in the room with the kids -- part of the fun of a sleepover was seeing how late you could stay up.

Diana, good to see  you -- sorry about the mishap on the trail. Ouch. The thought of dislocating both shoulders makes me shudder.

Damaris, do take care of yourself -- how many races is this for you this year?

3.4 this morning, simple run, only decision was whether to turn right or left when I got to the end of the street. Turned right which means downhill most of the way out then uphill back. Tiny sliver of fourth-quarter moon. Then 6.54 on the TM at lunch -- intervals, 3 minutes easy, 1 minute hard, steadily increasing the difficulty. I was pleased with myself for finishing the entire sequence.

Oh, and GREAT news! DSBF texted me to announce that his employer (big discount store) has offered him a promotion. Lead in a department which he has been working in for a while, different store but it's less than 10 miles away, and he has transportation (our old van) so can get there. This job involves more responsibilities, like arranging deliveries and participating in weekly conference calls regarding inventory and sales, and it is full time with benefits AND a pay increase. He is extremely proud of himself and rightly so -- this is a big step. Now if I could get him to take a class or two at the community college that would be even better!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It was a cold 85F and 72 dewpoint (I'm not kidding on the "cold" part; it is for us compared to the rest of the year), so I ran outside.  The achilles just needed to walk a bit today during the day to let it loose.

Diana, ugh!!!  What an ass (that's how I almost broke my patella once on a road 5K when the stupid tripped me trying to pass me).  Glad you are OK and that you did great considering the ankle and all.

Tessa, 6th marathon this year.  Nice run.

Damaris

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

No energy to read through personals now, will cruise through them tomorrow.

HORRID day at the fill in clinic.  Even the owner was shaking his head at things.  Just tough.  I had an emergency come in around 10am and we tried, but couldn't save her.  Really beat me up.  Then a bunch of weird cases and frustrating ones.  Made for a super long and hard day.

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Kat, sounds like a trying day.  But OMG, such cuteness!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Half Crazy K 2.0

1.5 miles trying to see what type of numbers I got with GPS vs the footpod. Then tried it on the treadmill & it said I was barely strolling. I gave up after that and did some strength training.

KatS, sorry you had a rough day. Cute picture of your dog, that's definitely a what are you doing to me look.

MyMomRuns, no pets for me. Hope the purring isn't when you are trying to sleep.

LCRuns, do you get off work early enough to run in daylight?

Lizzie, take the rest day!!! Or a few.

DHuffman, are you looking at mostly established events? I find that a lot of races aren't on the calendar yet.

Seloc, 25, brrr.

JudyRuns, maybe the cold will keep the creeps away? I've noticed when it is is cold out here, ok, like 30, there are very few people out, aside from those who have to walk dogs.

Kilmisters, I cannot believe the mileage you are doing.

Docket, ouch on the achilles. I tend to hit mine on the car door.

Turtles, glad the foot seems to be cooperating. I've been using a McMillan plan for my race. It isn't for me. I find my easy runs are much slower than the paces and there have been a few insane workouts that just didn't fit or make sense (to me).

GatsbyBird, hope you feel better.

AnonymousGuest, has Riley done long car trips? That sounds like a lot of driving.

AZ2MN Trail, hope the ankle feels better. Sounds like you had a good race aside from that. Knee deep water??

Arimathea, congrats to DSBF. I don't think I could function getting up at 2am for a race.

HuronHeart

Hello all.  Swimming tonight for me.   Planning to get back to running tomorrow.

Lisa, time with your DD sounds fun.

LC, nice miles.

Lizzie, enjoy your rest.  Does your SIL know whether she is having a boy,or girl?

DHuffman, nice of your DH to watch the animals so you can make it to your races.  A train trip would be a fun vacation. . I haven’t been on one in years.

Seloc, nice 5. Not sure what a virtual summit is, can’t imagine 6 hours of virtual anything being a ton of fun. Maybe it is?

Judy, having a 22 year running partner is pretty amazing.

Kilmisters, I agree on correlation between frustration/Problems and mileage.  Some of my best runs were when I was burning off frustration.  The marketing department is going to love you!

Damaris, ouch on sore achilles.

RTurtles, elliptical and 1.5 miles without foot pain. Yay!

Tessa, hope the ringworm clears up easily. I’ve never had it but DH has. He picked it up from cattle.  Tough decision on the race. Driving to the race wouldn’t be bad if you could share it with someone else.  Having someone to chat with makes the drive seem faster.  Congrats to DSBF, fulltime with benefits and a raise is fantastic.

Gatsbybird, get well!!

Karen, nice recovery miles.

Az2, you are tough, running a HM on sprained ankle.  Happy it was a good experience for you,   On the runner dislocating both shoulders, major ouch. Good luck running Monument Valley this weekend.

Kats, it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas, 😃

HuronHeart