Womens Running

New Week MONDAY (DAILIES) (Read 24 times)

Kilmisters

We have the last regular season game tomorrow (vs Estonia, which means whole DH family will be there, because they never. ever. miss it. I mean, DH being Estonian and me being on the opposite side facing their NT. Ah...), so nothing more than 6mi or so this eve. Have been lazy w running lately, but that probably won't change until floorball is over in midApril. After that (w all the light evenings too!) I won't have any excuses left Smile I don't want to die in that May trail race!

Lizzie, great job! Hoping you can move around w/o the help of HCBF! Big grin And Fargo in about 2.5 months? You are crazy Smile Will you take is a fun run (which you should after this impressive PB)? Smile

Sandy, that's why I (almost) never run w anyone, well, pretty much everything you described. About going faster than intended, because ''hey, you can keep up!'' and then having issues w recovery. Or going slower than planned, which also kicks you off the ''rhythm''. Can't you just say ''no'' this weekend? Or would that be social suicide?

Tessa, wtf, ''therapy/emotional support dog''!? Had to google what it's about. No wonder people are trying to game the system... Poodle, huh...

Diane, great miles! I'd say go out for than run on Monday (as tough as it might me), as a shakeout run, then every next day decide on the go. Midweek longish runs are indeed PITA, but sometimes the only choice...

Waving to everyone else! Hoping you have a bearable Monday. Meaning, w/o ''I want vodka'' moments.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

dhuffman63

Trails

Lisa...lol it's the name's of the races that catch my eye.  Anything with a 'horse' is always interesting.  I've never been to SD so that would be interesting in itself.  If I budget things out then I can get one travel per year with PTO and home things. The pictures look real interesting too.

dhuffman63

Trails

Oh and the pictures in FB look wonderful...at least to me and my fondness of rocks and roots <sarcasm>   The 50, 30 and 20 are point to points and I like those.  Depending on how BB goes maybe another 50 for me on my way to Javalena 100k in 2019.

Seloc

Man oh man I just want to quit this day already.  And, it is now snowing sideways.  I know I know, quit complaining about the weather since it can't be changed.  But, ugh, it is my biggest nemesis.  If I wasn't "training" for a marathon - in quotes because I feel soooo behind - it wouldn't be as big a deal.

Elina - it is a send wine kinda day already.  yeah, I *could* say no to the RBs but I do enjoy company on some runs.  I try to tell them I can't run that fast but they refuse to believe me.  Sometimes I just go MIA to go solo LOL  Peer pressure is harrrrrrrrrrrrrd.  Yes, even for gramma.  Woohoo on the big game!!!  Go get 'em girl!!!  Fun to have all the family watching.  PLENTY of time to get ready for May race!!  Ya know, listen to what I say to YOU not what I whine about haha

Lisa - whoa those pain meds knocked you out!  Best to rest, though!!  That's right - I forgot Afton did a number on your back.  Don't blame ya for not giving it another whirl!  Plus it's in July - toooooo hot and humid haha.  I've heard good things about Moose Mountain but, you are right, a bit of a drive from the Cities.  You are probably familiar with UMTR?  http://www.umtr.net/trail-series/umtr-ultra-series/  I forgot about Trail Mix.  I did their 25K a couple times YEARS ago and now looks like the changed locations but still driving distance from me.  Good idea about sending speedy girl ahead for a longer turn around.  That very well may need to happen!!

Kat - dang.  Bummer you got up early for such a lame breakfast!  I would have been disappointed, too.  Laughing at the poop lecture though I would be interested since the kit kat still is having issues at times.  I've increased the Miralax, however, and that has seemed to help.  Sorry for the TMI!!  LOL

Diane - good luck with your miles this week!

Tessa - oh boy, big dogs for the airplane!  I totally agree that some people appear to take advantage of that.  Also recently heard that one of the airlines is cracking down on such.  I would hope so!!

It's not even lunchtime???  Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh  I might have to run in a blizzard tomorrow just to run out the grumps.  Let's speed up this Monday, please!!

Anonymous Guest

Aaaaaaaaahhhh. Peace and quiet. I had a fun weekend, but I am ready for some rest. My friend Zsuzsanna flew in late Thursday night for the marathon Saturday. Riley got all worked up that there was a new person in the house when she got here around 11 pm, so didn't sleep well that night. We did the expo, lunch and just goofing off and trying to take it easy on Friday. DH had a bike race near Austin Saturday morning so he got a hotel there Friday night, which meant no DH, plus some new noises since there was a new person in the house, which meant barking at every little thing, which meant I didn't sleep well again. Race was Saturday and I usually don't sleep that well the night after a race, and this was no exception - legs hurt, couldn't sleep, less barking but still a little bit. Then yesterday afternoon/evening we went to a wedding. We stayed until the music got loud and then looked at each other......both ready to go. I think I went to bed about 9:30 last night and slept until 8 this morning. DH has meetings at the office the next three days, so after three long days of extroverting with little sleep, I am taking it easy!!! My quads are still a little sore, so a rest day today, then probably a slow easy run tomorrow. Boston is six weeks from today. I am thinking I'll start slow at Boston and just try to enjoy it, then hopefully be able to do well at Fargo.

Liz, I am so so so so proud of you! You crushed it. I could almost hear the emotion and happiness and tiredness in your post yesterday. You ran such a well-executed race and yes, I knew you could do it. Enjoy the high of what you just did as long as you can. And when you come back down to earth, I will tell you that yes, I do think you can get sub-4. Maybe not by Fargo, but I'm going to say in the next 1-2 years for sure. The first time I qualified for Boston, a friend told me "congratulations, but you know you can run faster, right?" and for some reason, that was what I needed to hear to set my sights higher. It makes me so happy that I was maybe a little bit of that for you.

Tessa, wow. Congrats on getting Florida the hard way!

Damaris, loved the Disney RR. You guys looked like you were having so much fun.

Carol, that sucks on the shoes, but thank goodness you figured out the problem. I wore nothing but Brooks for years (they gave me a pretty good discount), but they changed my go-to shoes a little too much about 3 years ago and that's when I started branching out to other brands.

Sandy, yuck on the weather. One piece of advice I give my runners is that if they are running with someone faster than them, ask the other person a lot of open-ended questions. You just grunt out a quick question, then hopefully they slow down a bit when they give a nice, long response. I also run almost a half step behind someone if I'm trying to get them to slow down. But yeah, sometimes for longer runs you're just stuck doing them by yourself unless you can convince them to slow down. And then even if they agree, they may naturally start to speed up. One faster than you should long run won't hurt you, just make sure you don't do them all that way.

Diane, Mondays are hard, especially if you do longer back-to-back runs on the weekend. If I do decide to do this 100 miler in December (and the idea seemed pretty stupid at about mile 24 of my marathon......I will be running 4 times this amount and still won't be done????), I'm thinking of doing more of a 10-day cycle instead of weekly. Since I don't work, it's not hard for me to do my long run during the week, and I've read a bit about pros and/or older runners adopting a 10-day cycle and having luck with it. Not that that really helps you at all.........my mind is just wandering.

I want to do Deadwood Mickelson, but not sure what year. I suppose I could pencil in next year, especially if crazysue is on board. Or I suppose I could look at the race Diane and Lisa are looking at......

Kathryn, your week sounds exhausting. Do I remember correctly that you are at Mandalay Bay? My very first trip ever to Vegas was with another engineer in my office for a week. We were sent there because the Vegas office needed manpower - they were doing geotechnical work for Circus Circus because the initial geotech report was bad and the hotel was sinking 1/4" per day as they were building. We were told they estimated losing a million dollars a day for each day they had to delay opening, so were fitting out the rooms on the top levels while we were trying to fix the foundation problems below ground.

Lisa, glad to hear you are functioning on only ibuprofen already. That fall sounded pretty horrible.

Okay, just because I'm taking it easy today doesn't mean I'm not doing anything. I need to get a grocery list together and go get some food for the week.

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Anonymous Guest

Elina, I think it's perfectly reasonable to cut back on the running until floorball is over. You are still in good shape and are getting good workouts, you'll be able to jump into run training easily.

I try to tell them I can't run that fast but they refuse to believe me.  Sometimes I just go MIA to go solo LOL  Peer pressure is harrrrrrrrrrrrrd.  Yes, even for gramma.  Woohoo on the big game!!!  Go get 'em girl!!!  Fun to have all the family watching.  PLENTY of time to get ready for May race!!  Ya know, listen to what I say to YOU not what I whine about haha

Okay, here is your excuse. "My coach told me to slow down on my long runs and not go faster than xTight lippedx pace.If she sees I've run this fast she'll yell at me." You don't have to tell them that I'm not actually coaching you. Or that I hate confrontation so probably wouldn't yell at you even if I were coaching you. But maybe I would do something super passive aggressive........

Seloc

Karen - LOL I love that!  I love you will let me use you as an excuse to slow down.  This girl is the energizer bunny.  I ALWAYS run a step behind.  It'll be fine for one run.  I think I'm just in a whiny mood.  Enjoy your day of peace and quiet and REST!  I always kinda chuckle when you mention DH is in the office because i picture you giving it a silent "YES!" when you learn haha.  That was a LOT of extroverting!  Heck, I'd even skip the grocery today and scrounge.  But, I'm guessing you'll have to feed the DH as well   Enjoy your day!!

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Thanks for the birthday wishes!  It was a pretty relaxing birthday weekend, walked around the mall, saw the movie Jumanji, and had dinner at an Italian restaurant.  I also got a couple walks in, the weather was fairly nice for early March!  I asked DH for bone conduction wireless headphones for running, he got me those and I am anxious to try them out!      Younger DD's team won the Battle of the Books at school for the 2nd consecutive year on Friday, that was pretty exciting.

Lizzie, awesome awesome awesome job this weekend!  I was so excited for you!  It was great that HCBF figured out that he should contact me!    I was dying to know how you were doing.  I had no doubt that you would be awesome though.  Just how awesome was the question.     You are speedy and fast!  I always knew there was no reason that you couldn't be faster than me.  There is no stopping you!     Yeah, the night after the race always sucks.  Hopefully you can rest up today!  Wow on the incident with the car on the race course!

Carol, sorry that the shoes are giving you issues.  Those look like nice shoes!  I have never worn Brooks.

Sandy, winter weather advisory for us tonight.  Yay.  Nice 16 miler, but sorry you are feeling sore.  Those mean girls must have pushed you hard!    You are very brave to train for a spring marathon in the Midwest.  Brave or crazy?  

Damaris, amazing you can get by on so little sleep!

Tessa, I also wonder about all the therapy dogs around now.  I started reading "Librarian of Auschwitz" last night.  Quite a change in gears from my last book, "The Memory Box".  I'm still not quite sure what to make of that one.  

Diane, nice mileage last week!

Kat, a lecture about poop?  Nice.  

Lisa, I'm glad that you are OK!  That must have been scary.  I hope the recovery is quick!

Elina, good luck on the last game of the season!

Karen, nice race this weekend!  Sounds like tough weather.  Very nice AG finish!  I'm glad you can officially mark that race done.  

Cathy

ginnyb

Sandy...complain about the weather all you want, makes me feel better about my complaining!!!  I am grouchy today also, must be something in this northern air.

Elina...I would think you would cut down on your mileage during floorball...you are in shape, you'll be fine.

Lisa...I must have missed your post about taking a fall.  What happened?  Hope you are feeling better.

Karen...do you have a race before Boston too?  Wish I had all of you girls energy, I can't even think of another marathon right now.  Sounds like a good weekend for you , minus the dog barking.  Too bad about the loss of sleep.  Send some warm weather up here please.

I so wish that my trainer was not leaving for these few months.  I hope I keep going with a different trainer.  He just motivates me so much and knows what I can and cannot do.  It just isn't going to be the same and I am sad.

Kat....nice weekend with your mom, better than running a half.  Try and stay awake for your lectures.

SDO for me today, maybe a short run tomorrow , but I also work with trainer,so we'll see, tomorrow is leg day.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Oh, for those that asked about the runner that was hit on the head on the trail near me, all that was reported was an underage person struck a runner in the back of the head.  Someone called 911 and the police responded as well as an ambulance.  Nothing was reported about the runner being robbed.

Lisa, I find a lot of the monthly challenges on Pinterest.  These are the ones I am doing this month:

Kilmisters

Sandy, be happy about the snow. It is melting here and is now a mixture of mud and snow. Not nice. The temps are perfect tho. Few degrees below 0*C. Ouch on the ''send wine'' day. It seems like a Transatlantic pain. My colleague was shouting at freshly received email ''add VAT and the numbers will match, you stupid cow!!'' at the end of the work day, which can only be described as, well, casual Monday. The said cow wasn't within hearing distance, thus the ''conflict'' ended at that point. Oh, blizzard is fun; I once ran in one that just started out of a sudden when I was at the highest point of the literally biggest bridge in Latvia. First thought ''****, really!?!? Like, FOR REAL!?'' then... ''This is ok... This is ok...'' Smile

Cathy, belated happy birthday wishes! Glad you had a great time! Loved the Battle of Books pictures as it seemed like kids enjoyed it being kind of a big deal.. Smile But could you remind this stupid European what it is all about? You have explained before, but I forgot 

Karen, Zsuzsanna? Is that a Polish name? Great advice to Sandy. I'd actually even say ''your sabotaging my training process by pushing me to a pace that's outside my ''easy zone'' ''. Because that's pretty much what it is.

7.5mi this eve; slower than usual, but felt fine. To everyone saying mileage should be reduced during floorball season - of course, it is; and there is zero speedwork, too. But there is difference between skipping a run because of being worried I'll be too tired at the gameday and a simple ''meh, I don't want to'' when game is 4+ days away.  But if I can get the mojo back starting from midApril, it is all good.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Anonymous Guest

Karen, Zsuzsanna? Is that a Polish name?

Hungarian. She and her husband came to the US about 20 years ago for grad school, eventually became US citizens. Lots of interesting conversations with her as she spent the first ~18 years of her life living in a tiny apartment with her family in a small communist country. So different from my upbringing in the wide open spaces of the midwest US.

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Evening ladies!!

I had a very lazy day. I didn't even shower until a few minutes ago. Smile I seriously was on the couch watching Netflix from 7am-1pm and only got up for food and bathroom Smile PERFECT recovery day if you ask me!!

Did have an incident today. A scary one. I went up to take a nap and Ruger came with of course..couldnt sleep (surprise, not really) and was just about to give up on falling asleep when suddenly Ruger started shaking uncomfortably. His front legs were above his head and his back legs were stretched out and he ended up rolling out of bed and onto the floor. I realized what was happening - a seizure - only because one of my best friends went through this with her dog. I sat there on the floor just holding his head repeating "its okay. I am right here. Its ok". He eventually stopped after 20 seconds but then he was very confused and could NOT walk. I called HCBF crying telling him to come home and we took him to the vet. They are running labs but are just classifying it as a seizure disorder. They want us to keep a log of how often it happens and if they become to frequent - then we may have to get MRI and all that stuff. Possibly even medication. He is okay now but OMG SCARIEST THING EVER. I will never get that image out of my head. I am crying just thinking about it. Ugh. My poor baby!!!

Lots of cuddles with Ruger planned for the rest of the evening.

Docket - I can’t sleep for a few days after a hard race. Might have had something to do with HCBF and Ruger taking up the entire bed last night. Good luck on the miles tonight. I wish I could function on that little sleep!

Sandy - I was thinking of you this morning because our “winter” has returned. Highs in the 40’s this week - why do I have to be resting?! Haha. Seriously though, I know you are over your winter. I wish for your sake the snow would stay away! Sad Whats your long run looking like this weekend? I am loving Karen’s advice about the fasties! Smile

Tessa - When you mentioned bagel with peanut butter it got me craving one. Well, I am craving anything right now. LOL. I haven’t had a bagel in YEARS. Very happy they recorded your time!! We have actually thought about making Ruger a support animal so we could bring him places. Opps. Totally get where your coming from though.

Diane - I would have never been able to work in a building where you could feel it sway. NOPE. NO. We have a local theme park that has an “Eiffel tower” and I can’t go up there. I can feel it move with the wind and I panic. Nice job on your 30 mile week! I can imagine being tired with back to back weekend runs. I think that is what Sandy does? Your schedule sounds tough this week - but you can do it!

Hi Judy!

Susan - Nice swim this morning!

Kathryn - At least they cover that much of it! A lecture on poop?! LOL. I would laugh the entire time. But I am 12. Sorry about the disappointing breakfast! I look forward to food and if it sucks I get angry. LOL.

Lisa - No need to look into the HR issue - I was just curious. I don’t want you to go out of your way Smile Mammal is having to leave 3x a week for PT and I don’t think he had to provide anything. Maybe because he is considered “senior management”. I am trying to move once an hour, too! Yours is a bit more painful than post marathon soreness though. Hope you start feeling better soon!!

Kilmisters - Good luck on the last game!!! Smart to cool it on the running until floor ball is over. Not sure how I am going to handle Fargo. Defiantly not trying to PR..we will see how my body handles recovery. Glad I am not the only one who yells inappropriate things in the office. I don’t really call people cows though..just mammals Smile nice run this evening! Smart to not have speedwork right now.

Karen - Holy crap. You had a lot going on this weekend. I didn’t realize you had a friend staying with you. You need a rest day today! You normally take 2 days off post race right? And yay for some “you” time!! I agree - next 2 years maybe sub 4. I am saying 2 years because I can’t see it happening this year. LOL. And yes, you were the one that gave me that push and I am very happy that you did! Good luck with the grocery shopping and I hope you are able to get some sleep tonight! How did DH do in his race?

Cathy - Awe, sounds like you had the perfect birthday! Did you get spaghetti at the restaurant?! LOL. JK. How about cake?! Awesome birthday gift from DH! Those will come in handy when you are back to running long Smile I have wanted a pair of those for a while. They are expensive! Which brand did you get? Awesome for DD!!! Awe, thanks for all of the awesomes Smile Meant so much that you guys believed in me! I wasn’t sure I really believed in myself haha. That is really unnerving about the runner!

Ginny - Sorry you are feeling down! Is your trainer recommending anyone to you?

Tomorrow will be another rest day. I will try for an easy run on Wednesday.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for job news!

Have a great evening everyone!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Elina-Last year you also found it hard to balance running and floorball at this point.. (but I could remember wrong) and that was without little K... funny how different a year can be. You won't actually die in the May race. I never want vodka. Wine, bourbon or good beer but never vodka so it must be a bearable Monday. yeah for getting your butt out the door for a run!

Diane-I like the cutoffs for the horse one. AND that it is point to point. No going back!  <insert attempted evil laugh>

Sandy-hope the blizzard lets up and you can get out for some miles. for the sake of all humanity. And I am with you on what was I thinking when I signed up for a 50 miler at the end of February. Although I guess the taper was good for me. You still have time.

Karen-I can imagine the need for solitude is real. Poor Riley. LOL Poor you! If I wasn't afraid of injury I'd go for the speed work to see what I can do but alas I feel like I have to choose quality vs quantity. If I went for fast I couldn't do as many races and I like doing a lot of races. I guess it's good that I know I can't really have both. Would be nice to not have to worry so much about cut offs on the races though. It is amazing how people's words will stick with you... every time I'm in a tough spot in a race I think of the people who have told me that I'm a stronger runner than I give myself credit for and that helps. "Faster" wouldn't do it for me but "stronger" does.. you might find that you have a student who responds better to different words. Good advice on the questions to ask other runners. This is why I tend to know everything about the people I run with. I'm just trying to survive.. "tell me your life story.. please" The Horse one is on the same trail just different time of year and with longer races associated with it too so that ultra vibe going on.

Cathy-sounds like a great birthday for you! I'll take note. Shouldn't be too long for this rib cage thing to heal.

Ginny-here's hoping that the new trainer is good in a different way so that you can learn different stuff from him/her and then be ready when the other one returns from the land of the Swiss. Fell when cleaning onto the side of the bathtub. Was afraid I broke a rib but just bruised. I'll survive to do safer things like trail running.

Lizzie-so scary for Luger!! I guess when I went to PT for my knee nobody asked me for documentation but I work in HR and they all knew what I was doing plus I had appointments right after work so it just meant leaving a little early then making up the time. Kind of different in a flexible type of office setting.

Back sort of shifting to feeling like achy sore muscles now vs sharp pointy pain. Not good but better. I'll go to work tomorrow. It was so quiet here that I wondered what the sound I was hearing was.. it was my cat snoring. She lays RIGHT on top of the heating vent and snores. LOL

Lisa

dhuffman63

Trails

Lizzie my little beagle Jasper has seizures...they were caused by a tick bite (blood test results).  All I do is hold him like you did and talk to him.

Lisa...lol  you know me...even throwing up didn't stop me...not did back spasms after hitting a deer...I'm crazy like that.  Trying to decide if a 30 mile or a 50 mile race is what I want.  I'm thinking 50 to prepare for Javalina.

Elina, May is far enough away that you'll be fine...you have a great base and do speed work during floorball.

I looked for MO races...not too many trail races but I didn't look much...when you do OK let me know and I'll do it with you.  I really like Pumpkin Holler...great aid stations, long cut off and a very large 29 mile loop. There's a 50k, 100k and a 100 mile so cut off is 2 pm on Sun after an 8 am Sat start.  It's VERY low key tho...no race photos, the packet pickup/dinner was late and I didn't stay after getting mine.  Of course there are all sorts of others to try!