Womens Running

Weekend Women (Over40) (Read 17 times)

Not so creative but it's all that I've got this morning.

Went to HS production of Les Miserables.  60 kids with extremely strong voices was amazing!!  Considering there are less than 1000 kids in the school, they are extremely talented.  The show sold out.  I kept thinking that they had allowed some adult on the stage.  I mean, you usually have 2 or 3 strong voices but to pull off this production you need around 10 and they did it.

Going for a run this morning then driving up to see step son #2 and family in Alpena. Somewhat last minute since we didn't know what dd's schedule would be today with her practices.

Getting some not positive vibes in a follow up message but if it isn't' going  to make sense at this time status quo is fine with me and I know that I've followed something I long time ago said I wanted to do.  And.. you never know, still could work out, or could be a 3 year down the road thing or not at all. Still keeping fingers crossed but thinking it's a long shot that would work out. Expectations firmly being managed. :-)

Ginny-glad your leg is improving!

Karen-yeah for comp days!

Damaris-funny about cat eating the vet!

Marjorie-sun burn?  sigh... we are back below freezing with wind chills in low teens. nice work with all of the painting!

Lisa

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

5.3 for me. Puppy pool, finish the paint and we need to get the new hot water heater and water filtration system and arrange for the instal.

Morning Lisa. Yes sun burn. It isn't terrible but enough I can feel it on my back.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Not sure what I'll do today, as I plan on heading out with hubby and make up the difference if possible.

Lisa, Summer never left down here, we're opposites.  Nice Les Miserables production, looks like.

Marjorie, nice to see your miles getting to where they should be.  I should be doing above 50mpw again this week, which I have not done in months.

Damaris

Bikerchick1

Morning!

Lisa - Enjoy the drive to Alpena, at least there is blue sky to make it a pretty one!  You certainly have the right attitude about the job....you never know what  or when things will happen, it is sometimes about the patience to wait....very hard.

Damarias - Enjoy your run!

Marjorie - Painting on your schedule for the week-end???

Did a fun 6 miles last night in the misty rain.  Today....sigh.....SDO, to clean house, and then 14 tomorrow.

Carol

Hooray for the weekend.  Glad we had a good amount of rain this week, even though not enough to eliminate "drought" from the conversation.  Running 12-13 with DH and RC this morning.  Then cleaning and a visit from my dad this afternoon.

Lisa, I'm with you on trying to manage expectations on the job front, although I'm not very good at it.   I had a couple of interviews over the last two months that apparently didn't go anywhere (and why can't they just tell me what's going on, anyway?).  All of  which made me want to make a change, but then there's no change to be made.  Sigh.  Trying to tell myself I'm okay staying where I am...  Hope your run and family visit went well.

Marjorie, have fun at puppy pool.   Sounds like another productive day for you with the house projects.

Damaris, great to see you getting your miles back up there.

Carol, good luck with the day of domestic cross training....

Hi to everyone else.  Back later!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

11 miles this morning.  Yeah me!  Wind was wicked though... when running into it.

Also allowed me to think about this job thing too.  I had 2 people talk with me on Thursday.  After the 1st I had an email that was all positive.  That person and the original one are both high energy, exclamation point using people with 500+ connections on LinkedIn, and both fairly new to the company.  Last has 28 connections, been there 8 years, and was pretty structured sounding. After that call was when I had the not as positive sounding communication.  I may turn this around into a recruitment opportunity in case I need any new hr people myself down the road in our NY office.  Welcome to my brain.  LOL  "Negative" part centers around my need for flexibility in a move date and if DD has something going on at school.  Dealbreakers for me that frankly, surprise me if those are dealbreakers for them. Interesting. I have no real reason to go anywhere else but nice to know I was able to get even that close to working for Runner's World. LOL  Maybe they looked at my finishing times. Ha!

Karen-awesome finish for you!!

Marjorie-you always have stuff going on!

Damaris-my face froze, nearly literally, when running into the wind.  Not sure we will ever get summer.

Carol-sun is nice.. wish it brought warmth with it though!

(Hmm... I guess I'm an exclamation point person too! and I like it that way!!)

Lisa

Lisa, exclamation points are fine!  Keep using them!!  I use them too!!!

Just don't start using ALL CAPS for stuff that you think is REALLY IMPORTANT but other people MIGHT MISS if you don't MAKE IT REALLY OBVIOUS how IMPORTANT it is by YELLING at them.

13.6 done.  Time to commence cleaning the house.  After one more cup of coffee...

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Anonymous Guest

Beautiful morning for a race today. Yes, the course was hilly, and yes, it was really really windy, but none of that matters when you finish the race and they announce that you are the FIRST FEMALE FINISHER!!!!! Oops, did I just yell that? I finished in 22:14, so it was definitely slower than I can run. In fact, I saw coming around the last corner and back to the high school for a lap around the track to the finish that there was nobody behind me, so I kind of eased up a little. I didn't know who all was in front of me (I knew at mile 2 I was tenth overall and one guy passed me shortly after that, but I didn't know how many were women). Turns out none of them were! I won tickets to a Nationals game, which is kind of funny, as just the other night DH was saying we should go to a baseball game this summer.

It was a really cool race. A small town experience just a few miles outside the beltway. The volunteers were all high school students, the race was started by the mayor. Ended up running 9.5 total for the day. And since I was in that part of town, I went to the grocery store after running. Two things: there is not a single package of skinless, boneless chicken thighs in this stupid town, and I bought so much food I wouldn't normally buy. I guess I was hungry.

Lisa, it sounds sorta cliché, but I really do think things happen for a reason. Whatever happens with the job, you'll end up where you're supposed to be. But I still selfishly hope you end up out here. And in a place where we all have an "in" with Runner's World. The "in" with the newspaper in Detroit was great for the marathon, after all.

Marjorie, hope you get everything accomplished today. Wait, it's you....of course you will!

Damaris, enjoy your run.

Carol, I'm supposed to be cleaning today too, and running 16 tomorrow. I'm not doing much cleaning though, more playing on the internet and watching TV, which I rarely do anymore. I hope you're getting more done than I am!

Gatsby, nice run. And no hurry on the cleaning, I'm three hours ahead of you and I haven't started yet. The right job will come for you as well. There were a couple of jobs last year that I thought I would be perfect for that I didn't get. I'm glad now I didn't, because the job I have now is such a challenge (in a good way) with so much more potential than I think I could have found anywhere else.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Karen that is amazing!  Go you

Lisa way to make it positive

painting is done. Need to do some minor touch up here and there. No one can see it.  But I know so I will do the little touch ups on the trim. I painted the linen closet upstairs, too. Tight space and hard to paint.  Cleaning of the two closets done since everything had to be taken out. The two new area rugs are here. I need to roll up the old one in the family room and the formal living and put down the new ones.

So painting is all done. I'm not doing the dinning/formal living room. The guest room and upstairs bath are good too. So I'm done.

We have them coming to look at the hot water heater and install. They will look first to make sure we get all the right stuff. We got a full house water filter system too which they will install when they do the hot water heater.

Doggies  had theif Easter pics done today at the pool.  I need to see if they are up yet.

Marjorie

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

We're back home after our Disney trip - drove back yesterday. We had a great time, especially the boys! Didn't do too much running, though - which made today's 7 miles a little rough. Hopefully I'll bounce back quickly.

Marjorie - I'm impressed with all your painting. I don't have the patience for it.

Lisa - I'm glad to see your mileage getting back up there. I know it's been a frustrating ride.

Karen - congrats! That's awesome! You should yell that!

Gatsby - I'll take coffee over cleaning any day.

Carol - when is your trail half?

Damaris - hope your run with your DH went well.

So this is the conversation I had with my Saturday RB a couple of weeks ago:

RB: I'm thinking of doing another marathon. I feel like my motivation could use a boost.

Me: Huh. When are you thinking of?

RB: Maybe the fall.

Me: It would be pretty hot, training through the summer. But then again, if I go out with you on Saturdays, maybe it would keep me more motivated than last summer.

RB: I was kind of hoping I could talk you into doing it with me.

Me: (right away) No. No, I don't think I can do a full. I'm not sure I can handle the mileage.

RB: You know, when I did my last marathon, my mileage wasn't that much more than you do now.

Me: Well, maybe.

(There was a bit more back and forth, but I won't bore you with it.)

So then I came home and started looking at fall marathons. And I found one (Richmond) that would be a good fit in terms of timing, location, etc. So now I thinking about it. And looking at training plans. I haven't decided yet, but I'm definitely thinking about it. And I knew if I came here, you guys would totally talk me into it!

I do have a question - I've looked at several beginner's plans, and most of them top out at 20 miles. I'm concerned about not going longer before my first full; there's a pretty big difference between 20 and 26.2. Suggestions?

Off to bed -

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

ginnyb

Cindy...you know what  slow runner I am.  My longest run for my one and only marathon was 20 miles, I think I stretched it to 21 and I did finish the marathon, although very slowly and with some struggle ( ask Tessa) but I did finish!  I toy with doing another, but the way I have been feeling this year, the mileage just seems so daunting.  You would do great!  Just is time consuming getting all the miles

Bought new running shoes yesterday, Planning on a test run this morning.  Cold out still, but winds seemed to have calmed down considerably from yesterday.  Yesterday the winds were brutal, no way I was doing that again!  So tired of being cold.  Let you know later how the shoes worked out.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Bikerchick1

Lisa - So nice to see you in the double digit's running Smile

Gatsby - Coffee is always better then cleaning 

Karen - Great job on the race yesterday!!!

Marjorie - Sounds like your spring cleaning is done!

Cindy - Your conversation with RB had me nodding my head and smiling before I was even done reading it.....I'm thinking, yep she is going to do a marathon.  IMHO....20 is plenty.  All the reading/experience, etc., I have done, is that doing more (especially for the first one) takes too long for recovery.  I have been a fan of Hal Hidgon's plans.  But ususally find myself looking at several.  You go girl!!!  My trail half is 4/26.

Ginny - Hope your new shoes help.

Up and out the door for 14 with RB.

Carol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Ended up doing 10 with hubby last night and 11 this morning solo.  Of course, those 11 were tiresome and I wanted to do more but after a 10 miler last night, it was all I could do to finish the 11.  Still, a very good week for me at 51.80 miles.

Carol, hope the 14 go well today.

Gatsby, hope your run yesterday went well.  Good luck with job hunting.

Lisa, I'm an exclamation point person as well.  Good luck with the job opportunities.

Karen, congrats on the race!

Marjorie, nice miles.  Woohoo for painting being done.

Cindy, oh, boy.  Good luck with marathon training.

Ginny, good luck with the new shoes test run.

Have a great Sunday!

Damaris

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Cindy most plans are 20. A few will go to 22. If you Galloway it goes over 26. There are a few plans out there that font even do 20.

They always say the last 10k is mental.  If you can do 20 you can do 26.2. If you need confidence make sure the plan has several 20 milers. That way if ine goes bad you have others to fall back on.

Need to go run.   Touch up paint to some trim is needed but not pressing. Dh went yo the office. The yard needs mowed badly. If it isn't raining I may mow the back so the pups don't get lost in the grass, ha!  Or, so Hammy doesn't get a rash with his allergies. It is getting pretty tall. Not sure why dh didn't mow yesterday. If he waits until next weekend it will be out if control.

Marjorie

Anonymous Guest

Hmmmmm, Cindy, what do you think I'm going to say? Do it do it do it do it do it. I've heard really good things about Richmond. I'm actually leaning towards that one as a backup if Erie in September doesn't go well.

Back from the Cherry Pit 10 miler. This race was started by my running club years ago as an alternative for those that didn't get into the Cherry Blossom 10 miler, which is also today. Now it's part of the club race series and gets several hundred runners. I planned to run it at marathon pace (8 minute miles), since I had 16 on the schedule, and then run 6 easy after. I did a pretty good job of doing that. Except for one mile that was a lot of downhill. And then with two miles to go, I was just feeling really good so I decided to speed it up a little. The last mile is almost all downhill and I ended up running that in 6:51 - oops, that's kinda my 5K pace. Ended up with a 1:17:46, which is actually a PR. Only because my 10 mile PR is extremely soft. I'd consider this a soft PR, and it's over 2 minutes faster than my previous best. And it was actually a much better course for me to run two weeks out from Boston, because it was horse country/rolling hills instead of flat DC. I have probably been lacking in my training of half to 3/4 mile hills. I was glad it went well.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel