Womens Running

Pinelands FE, May 2018 (Read 24 times)

Starting a new thread for our Pinelands FE (forum encounter) on May 26-27.

Here's the race info:  http://pinelandtrails.com

Here's who I've got on the list so far:

5/28/18 Lisa O'Grady - Pinelands 50k, New Gloucester, ME
    5/28/18 Kathryn Schade - Pinelands 50k, New Gloucester, ME
    5/28/18 GatsbyBird (Margaret) - Pinelands 50k, New Gloucester, ME

Anyone else interested (and what distance?)?  Anyone else signed up?  Anyone on the fence? (If so, I'm going to sic Lisa on you!   Wink

If it's just a few of us, it shouldn't be difficult to find somewhere to stay together, whether hotel or an AirBnB/VRBO.  If there's a bunch of us and we all want to be in the same place, then that will take more planning.

Just getting the ball rolling, slowly...

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Margaret, I am pretty sure Diane is going as well.  Chime in Diane!!

Are people up for sharing?  Or at least booking the same hotel??

If I drink too much, I am a snorer...  Sad

I am going to fly in Friday and leave Monday.  If we get in at similar times, maybe we can share a rental car even.  Just looking to save a few bucks...

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Arimathea

Tessa

I want to go however have not committed yet due to $$. I should be able to register before the end of the year. 50K.

I am fine with sharing rooms/beds and rental cars. A VRBO or airbnb would probably work best if we have a group, much easier to self-cater rather than go out for meals.

Flying into Portland or into Boston?

dhuffman63

Trails

I've registered for the 50k and if we share then my cost will go down but right now it's about $1100 for me so I'm  on the fence about spending so much.

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Margaret, I am thinking of a hotel in Freeport, seems the closest to the race.   Also it is close to the bay, bet it is pretty.  Race site says it is an 18 minute drive.  Some hotels have sold out so I am inclined to book now.  Were you thinking of anywhere specific?  Town or hotel??  My only stipulation is that I cannot/will not stay in a Super 8.  AWFUL experience, gives me the willies 2 yrs later....  I am debating booking a king for myself, or a double hoping to share.  I also will spend the extra money to have a fully cancelable room, that way if more folks come we can consider an AirBnB instead.  Personally I think it would be easier being at the same place - carpooling, etc...  I'm OK with spending up to $150/165 (Holiday Inn/Best Western) or $100/120 (Econo Lodge.)   Do you know what Lisa is thinking of?

Tessa, I will fly into Boston, Portland was significantly more expensive.  Like almost double.

Diane, I am there with you on the cash aspect, I HOPE I have enough saved for my fall trip by then...  Yeah, I figure about $1000 too.  I saw a flight already for about $425-450.

OK, my super early/planner side is coming out already...  My friends/coworkers laugh at me...

K

Yes, I was thinking of a hotel in Freeport.  Staying together would be best.  I messaged Lisa but haven't heard back.  Will text her.

I didn't see anything very good on AirBnb.  If anyone is better at searching than me, feel free to weigh in.

Holiday Inn Express is $179 for a 2-bed queen if the reservation is cancellable, $161 for non-cancellable.  Econo Lodge is $125 for 2 queen beds (cancellable reservation) and $100 for non-cancellable.

My needs are pretty basic.   I just booked a cancellable room (2 queen beds) at Econo Lodge for 3 nights.  Arrive Friday 5/25 and depart Monday 5/28, total including taxes will be $408.75.  If someone else wants to book a second room there that's cancellable, that will at least give us beds for several people.  If more research reveals a better option, we can always cancel.

How does that sound?

PS I will never mock anyone for planning too far ahead.  

PPS Kat have you booked your flights yet?  I be interested in sharing a car if we can make it work.

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Margaret,

I got a message from Lisa just after I posted.  She is thinking AirBnB, but if you weren't finding things, that may not work.  Per Lisa, Susan from FB is definitely going for the 25K.  I just booked a second room, double.  Same, $408.75.  That gives us 4 beds.  Mine was a double, so sharing a bed isn't an option really.

No, I haven't done the flight yet.  There is one that would get me in on Friday at 3pm for $425 and departs 4:30pm on Monday.  I believe it is a 2 hr-ish drive from Boston.  There are no direct flights from SA to Boston...

Oh heck, I just looked at flying from Austin to Boston and it is only $250!  NON STOP.  Gets me in at 12:30...  wow.  Only return is 7:30pm though on Monday.  It is a 90 minute drive, worth it for direct and $200.

K

Hey there!

Work has been busy and life has been great and here we are talking about an FE!!! Woot!!!

THIS weekend I promise to pull some airBNB's and post links here. found good rated for Poland, Maine. Places that slept 6 or 8, on lakes, with kayak/canoes. $300-ish/night.

I've messaged Susan asking about if she would be in on the place to stay. I certainly would be. Haven't booked flights though or anything that far ahead.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa!  Poland, ME looks like it would work.  Pickings were pretty slim in Freeport, ME.  Probably because that where the race website tells everyone to look.  

During the day on Saturday the 26th, I'm hoping to meet up with a friend who lives about 15 minutes from Pinelands.  So excited!  She also has birds.  

I mentioned this meet-up over in the Ladies Locker Room (LLR) here on RA.  I'm not sure if there will be any interest, but possibly.

I had posted from my phone... honest!

Oh well... need possibly count for people attending for AirBNB.

Lisa - 2

Susan - 2

Margaret - ?

Kat - ?

Diane - ?

Tessa - ?

how many for each of you and would you want to go in on splitting cost of house? I would think we would divide cost by person.

Finding some good ones in Poland and will post links so that you can let me know which looks good.

Lisa

I had posted from my phone... honest!

Oh well... need possibly count for people attending for AirBNB.

Lisa - 2

Susan - 2

Margaret - ?

Kat - ?

Diane - ?

Tessa - ?

how many for each of you and would you want to go in on splitting cost of house? I would think we would divide cost by person.

Finding some good ones in Poland and will post links so that you can let me know which looks good.

Just one for me.  Yes, I'd be interested in going in on a house.  I'm planning on arriving Friday and leaving Monday, but haven't looked into flights yet.

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Lisa, one for me on splitting a house....  I'm Friday to Monday as well.

I booked my flight, I couldn't resist for $250, non stop...

K

Arimathea

Tessa

One also on splitting a house, and I'll look for fares Friday-Monday.

Looks like 8 people... assuming Diane is successful in finding a flight or we figure something else out.  I am pretty sure that we will be driving in from Detroit.

Rank houses in order of preference with 1 being the best.

A. Thompson Lake $233/night

B. Sebago Lake $250/night

C. Unnamed but "idyllic lake" $225/night

D. Unnamed but "FUNky" lake $165/night

Lisa

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Lisa, I am up for whatever the group decides.  A) looked just fine.  I am totally fine with a twin bed too, Im happy to send you money for it and the deposit whenever.  Smile

K