Womens Running

Race Weekend! (Dailies) (Read 24 times)

Kilmisters

Good luck racers!!!!!!

Heading to road game (easing back into floorball the way I eased out of it - selective powerplay/special team time on field). Excited and feeling ready! DH's & K coming to watch Smile We absolutely HAVE to win today. Coach has caught heavy cold so we'll have to go w assistant coach only. He's quite hilarious, hopped in the team bus shouting "A LITTLE BIRDE TOLD ME KEKAVA WILL KICK SOME LEKRINGS' A-- TODAY!!" Big grin Hoping he's right.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

dhuffman63

Trails

That sounds like fun Elina, good luck to the team!!

Good luck Lizzie!

Who else is racing this weekend?  Good luck!

DH is off to a gun show with a couple work friends.  It's the big one they have here every fall before hunting season.  I've got the farrier coming so I'll do that then go to the library and drop off my books.  May get some more but since I'm leaving Friday I don't want to have any go past due date.  I'm eating some cinnamon rolls and drinking coffee til it gets light out and I can go up to the barn.

I'm sorry the kittens got sick Tessa.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

LC Runs

Happy Weekend!!

I missed yesterday's thread.. 4 afternoon miles since it was frigid in the morning.  I think it warmed up to 22 degrees or something LOL.  Heading out in a bit, then meeting my DD up at a craft show as she is working there for her Jamberry nail business (fingernail decals).  I really want to tackle my bedroom today (closet, etc).  Well, I really don't 'want' to but I am semi motivated to get it done ha ha.

So, to follow up on my work drama from a couple of weeks ago....the big wigs were in the office Thursday (Director, Associate Director and Direct Supervisor).  They went back and talked to the nurse that was the subject of the harassment complaint, door closed.  They were in with her for about 20 minutes.  Then they went and talked to the social worker who made the complaint for about 3 minutes.  Social worker texted a few of us to let us know they completed their investigation and basically are just going to monitor the nurse.  They felt the issue was closed though told social worker to let them know immediately if another incident occurred.  They are allowing them to travel separately if that works better to help them get along.  So, social worker is looking for another job.  But, the really surprising thing is our direct supervisor, has put in her notice and is leaving in December.  She is one year away from retirement and apparently is taking a job with a Hospice agency.  I don't know how this affects her pension.  This is going to get really interesting and not  in a good way.  Even though I don't think she handles conflict very well, she is a nice woman and very knowledgeable  about what we do.  She was always a good sounding board, but about 3 months  ago, they opened a small office about an hour away and gave her the job of supervising that office 2 days a week.  So, basically, they set it up for failure since there is no way to attend meetings, sign paperwork, explain changes AND monitor/help with the interpersonal workings of 16 women.  I'm sure her lack of being in the office added to the situation with the nurse/social worker.  Obviously, that situation was the last straw, since she was thrown under the bus.  So, in a nutshell, the supervisor is leaving, the social worker will likely be leaving once she finds another job and the cause of the problem will still be working there 

Elina - have a great game!!

Good Morning, Diane!!

Lizzie - good luck, I am tracking you!!

I will try and catch up with everyone, I skimmed yesterday's thread but brain is not fully awake at the moment!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  The cats woke us up at 6am, FFS.  Hubby went back to bed but I didn't.  5 miles and weights tonight.

Elina, good luck at the game!

Lizzie, good luck and EAT ALL THE CAKE AFTERWARDS!

Diane, enjoy the alone time.

Laura, ugh.  Sounds like everybody involved has lost in this situation.  Hoping things calm down.

Damaris

dhuffman63

Trails

Cats...all I have to say...lol.  I had one running across my pillow at 530 this morning.

Laura...oh my...i hate work place drama...cant seem to avoid it no matter where you work.

HuronHeart

Good luck to our racers!    Not sure who all is running besides Lizzie.

Last two days have been busy for me with no time to read/post.  I did make it to Core and Stability class on Thursday morning.  Then I was hustling to office to prep for a 10 am hearing when I lost a cap off a tooth. What a way to start the day! A day which was already going to be stressful.  Ugh.  God bless my dentist office, the dental hygienist was only one in and she patched me together and sent me on my way.  I have a more permanent fix scheduled for Monday morning.

Cold yesterday.  Office closed for holiday and unable to work because servers down, so I hopped on the TM for 45 minutes and then headed out to look at vehicles.  My lease is ending.  Narrowed down my options and need to go back to test drive with DH.  Years ago DH was in a bad accident and as a result cannot bend and twist well.  Have to make sure he can get in and out without banging his head.

Last night was a ladies night scavenger hunt, a local fundreaising event.  Was an 80s theme so we got our 80s on.  Big hair, off the shoulder tshirt and leg warmers.  We had 7 ladies on our team and had fun but the event itself was a bust. In the past this has been a great event, not sure what happened this year but it was an unorganized mess.  Not good. We bailed when two teams started squabbling over prizes.

Carol, sorry about FIL. Sounds like a difficult situation.  Hope you get a chance to run in the warmth.  I have run the Irish Double in Bay City but nothing else.

Hi Lisa, I am a new to the forum. Age 58, also from Michigan, and am planning to retire at the end of the year.  I started running a few years ago and with my longest race a 25k. These women inspire me!  Your tutoring sounds rewarding for both of you,

Seloc, Bootcamp and Beauty sounds fun.  I like HIIT style workouts because they feel like they go by fast.  Nice of you to start tutoring.

Karen, excited for your HM group. I read your response to Cathy, do you think most people run their easy runs too hard?

CrazySue, busy and productive Friday for you.  Happy your evaluation went better than expected!

RTurtles, DD party sounds like it will be a blast.  Hope you resolved your furnace problem, this is a bad week for no heat.

Kilmisters, good luck today, hoping for a big win!  On your business news, I would be very angry about someone leaking business plans to a competitor.

Kats, Thanksgiving hosting sounds fun but the house cleaning not so much fun.  I try to reduce my stress when hosting by telling myself people will be focused on food and company and not whether I cleaned behind the toilets.

DocketRocket, nice miles.  Enjoy your visit with Dad.

Atimathea, nice miles with your busy week. Sad about the kitties, I hope the virus is treatable..

HC, nice miles for you. This cold came on fast.  It’s better when we can ease into it.

Diane, cinnamon rolls and coffee sounds delicious.

LCruns, nice cold miles. I was a wimp and ran on the TM.  Your work situation is quite a drama.  It’s hard to understand management risking losing good performers because of one problem employee.

Lizzie, good luck! Excited to hear how your race goes.

Hello to everyone else.

HuronHeart-Kathy

Kilmisters

8:3 victory! It started in a shaky way and seemed like could go either way, but in the second period they started to tire down (both team had short benches but apparently we had better endurance for second part of the game). Really happy about a win and scoring a goal on the powerplay, a rebound while ball was still in the air - it used to be my "trademark" goal but I lost that volley touch a bit. Also noticed what DH had be telling me the whole time - how the "endurance runner profile" shows on the field too - in the first part of the game I seem a step behind the fastest opponents but keep that speed steady throughout whole game so later in the game it already means that I'm able to outrun majority of ppl out there. It's not perfect but not the worst scenario either, I guess.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Woot woot, it is the weekend.  Too bad I have to clean today and work tomorrow!!  

Elina, Hope the game went your way! - Just saw your second post, great job!!

Diane, sounds like a busy, but nice day.

Laura, that is a lot of drama, still...  Good luck with the closet.

Damaris, you need to let the kitties know 6am is way too early.  I am lucky, even with 4 critters, they let me sleep.

Kathy, glad the hygienist was able to help.  You are spot on about the minor details nobody will notice.

Tracking Lizzie at Richmond.  Her first 10K was at 10:18 pace!  We all know how she speeds up at the end.  Her half split didn't register.  Sad

Sitting her procrastinating with wicked anxiety for some reason.  I get this way on occasion.  I think part of it is that I just have an overwhelming amount of cleaning to do and don't want to start.  Hopefully a run later.

Pups are sound asleep on the couch with me, sweet.  I got them Christmas clothes.  Boys got Santa, girl Mrs Santa along with the most adorable reindeer sweater.  Silly really, but I couldn't resist.

Guess that is it.  Hopefully I will start on things soon...

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Anonymous Guest

Morning all! 5 miles this morning with those not racing tomorrow. I had a 14 miler mapped out with an earlier start time for the marathoners, but one is running the half tomorrow and one emailed last night that he wouldn't be there. That left just one (of those that show up on Saturdays), and he isn't actually training for a marathon, he is just running with us to get consistent training and more mileage for shorter races. So I texted him last night and asked if he'd rather start later with the half people and got a resounding YES. He complains about the early start, so I figured he'd be good with it. So I slept in a bit and met the group at 7 for 5 easy miles. Between the end of daylight savings time and not meeting at 5:30, it seemed really weird to be running on Saturday morning in daylight! It was a nice run and I think the girls training for a January half are planning to come out and cheer for those running tomorrow.

Karen, excited for your HM group. I read your response to Cathy, do you think most people run their easy runs too hard?

A lot of people do. I don't know if I'd go so far as "most," although if you're talking newer runners, yes, most do. I try to get it into my newer runners heads that it doesn't matter right now if they feel like they can walk just as fast or faster than they run, they will naturally get faster as they run more. And then once I get them to slow down enough to run longer distances, I often see them trying to run faster on their easy runs. If I see that happening in our group runs, I will run with the person and ask them lots of questions, then slow down our pace a little bit. They are talking so they can't keep up the "too fast" pace anyway, and they are distracted so they don't realize we're slowing down. Then at the end they are amazed they just ran that far and feel okay. Anyway, a guy that used to post on RA a lot summed up training as "run lots of miles, mostly easy, occasionally hard" and to me, that is really all there is to it. A coach or a training plan just defines "lots of miles" so you don't overdo it, and figures out "occasionally hard" to be beneficial for the distance you're training for and what works best for where you are at and how to improve on that. Wow, that's a long answer, can you tell I like doing this stuff? I could go on and on and on...

Cathy, speaking of, yes, Tammy did decide to do the second marathon. She said she got a free entry, so she might as well. Hopefully she'll have cooler weather for it.

Elina, wow, nice comeback to floor hockey! Sounds like you really enjoyed getting back on the floor.

Lizzie, hope the race is going well! You should be running as I type this, so when you read this you'll be finished......so, congratulations! Can't wait to hear about it.

Laura, that sounds like a kinda crappy resolution to the work drama. Well, at least you don't have to work with the crazy lady - sorry, that's the best I can come up with!

Damaris, I was hoping to sleep in until 6 this morning, dog got me up at 5:30. Can't complain too much though, at least he seems to be finally adjusting to the end of daylight savings time.

Diane, sounds like a productive day ahead of you.

Tessa, I'm sorry about the sick kittens. That has to be hard.

Okay, off to get some things done. I am still feeling behind from being out of town earlier in the week. And I want to get to Kohl's - I saw some cute holiday stuff there when I went shopping with my mom but didn't have room in my carry on to buy there and bring back, then came home to a 30% off coupon in the mail.

Karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

LC Runs

5.5 miles, was actually one of the better runs I've had in a while.  Ended up being a progressive run but likely because the wind was at my back most of the second part lol.  9:06 pace according to my Garmin.  20 degrees but, except for my hands, I was pretty warm once I got going.

Damaris - my cats wait for me outside the bedroom.  If BF gets up first, they scatter!  Ha, they don't bug him at all for food!

Diane - ITA about work place drama...I just hope it doesn't get as bad as my last job.  That place was full of crazy people and it was the Community Mental Health agency ha ha!  The level of stress drove most of the management to need more mental help than the clients!

Kathy - that fundraiser sounds like a blast, especially for us 80's girls!!  I am planning on the Irish Double in March, as well.  Carol is there most years, too.  Maybe a mini FE is in order!!

Carol - hope things with the FIL are going okay!

Kat - I can relate to the anxiety, it is bad for me this time of year, as well.  I really do not enjoy the holidays, well, mainly the shopping and getting things together.  I am trying to go low key this year but then I start thinking about all the little things that have to get done, ugh.  It helps when I organize things in  a list, then I can tackle it one thing at a time.  Speaking of which, I have yet to tackle my bedroom LOL.

Elina - whoo hoo on the victory!!

Karen - glad you got to sleep in a bit and enjoyed the group run!  I am with you on the work thing, not much to say about it, other than 'not my monkey, not my circus'!!  Maybe the crazy nurse will get promoted to Supervisor, wouldn't that be something??!!  Then we can all see how whacko she gets!!

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Diane - We have our big gun show next weekend. I am sure HCBF will be in attendance Smile MMMM cinnamon rolls! I don’t know how you stay so tiny eating pancakes and cinnamon rolls. I am jealous. And you are right about workplace drama..its everywhere.

Laura - Oh God Laura that is awful! What a drama MESS going on in your office! So, are you sad that the direct supervisor is leaving? Bummer that the problem is staying behind. IT ALWAYS HAPPENS THAT WAY. There have been several instances in our workplace where HR should have been involved..but it is like, what is the point? People are so scared of firing anyone that they always do warnings or whatever. Have fun at the craft show! I have never been to one but they do a huge Christmas one around here in December, and I think I am going to go this year. You can find some good gifts there! Sorry about the anxiety - I get it too. Don’t we all get it!? LOL. Running should help Smile Nice run today!! Speedy!

Huronheart - Oh no! What a bummer on the tooth. What is the permanent fix? What kind of car are you getting?! That is exciting! Have you always leased? Sorry about the ladies event..Sad LOL Love your motto for Thanksgiving hosting. Can you pass that onto HCBF? He frantically cleans the house before anyone comes over.

Kilmisters - WOOOHOOO for the win!! Was this your first game back? Awesome comeback! Smile

Kathryn - Christmas clothes?! Where did you get them?! I would love to get Ruger a Christmas sweater! Sometimes if you do the exercise first, it will help be more productive. I have found that to be true on many occasions.

Karen. - I love how you love talking about running. Smile COACH Smile Good explanation. I think I find myself running my easy runs too hard. Though, training through the summer months will fix that real quick. LOL. What kind of Christmas stuff are you getting!? Kohls has cute holiday stuff..especially kitchen towels. AHHH I sound like a grown up. Okay, so now I need a new goal. So if I wanted to shave 8 minutes off and be at a 4:15 marathon what would that entail? More miles on my feet? Like, 60mpw? Or more speedwork? Not sure where to start. Like I said on FB, I know I can be faster - you are right Smile I SAID IT AGAIN Smile I had PERFECT weather conditions today which is probably why it felt so easy..

Cathy - Have fun with the girls tonight! Smile

Sandy - Hope you had a safe trip!! And have fun!

Okay I will post a separate race report

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

26.2 for me! A FULL 26.2!!! 4:24 was my time - I wanted under 4:30..so...GOAL CRUSHED. I managed to take 2 bathroom breaks, too!

It was COLLDDD out there this morning!  Start time it was 26! I had on my running gear - pants, calf sleeves, long sleeve, ear warmers. On TOP of that I had 2 pairs of sweats, 2 sweatshirts and I had handwarmers everywhere. I ditched all the extra gear before I crossed the start line. I kept the hand warmers until about mile 6. I actually had to wear my gloves the entire time! I would get real warm but then we would hit shade and I would be freezing again.

I stuck with the 4:30 group for most of the race. Oh yeah, I decided to race Smile That cake gave me some extra energy! They had started too fast and actually kept up a fast pace the first 10 miles. That was one of the reasons I texted Cathy and asked her how my pace was looking because I was staying a little far behind from the group. I could have kept up with them (they were doing about 9:45) but I was so worried of crashing and burning like i did in MKE. After talking with Cathy I realized that my halfway point didn't register! I don't know why..HCBF said it didnt show up on the app either. Weird. He tried to see me at certain mile markers but with the tracking all screwy I didnt actually see him until the end.

OH and the bathroom breaks! What the heck! The lines were too long to stand in at the start so I waited until mile 2 and darted off in one. Had to bust my butt to catch back up to the group. Then I had to go again at 17...luckily I was already in front of the 4:30 group so by the time I darted out of there, the 4:30 group was passing. I dont know why my bladder was the size of a pea today!

I dont have anything bad to say about this race. The weather was perfect, the sun was shining, and I felt like a million bucks. I obviously was starting to get some mental fatigue around 22-25 but I just kept telling myself to keep pace and keep going. When I hit mile 20 I passed the 4:30 group and was keeping a good 9:55-10:00 pace.

I felt very comfortable during the paces I was doing today. I know I could be faster. I was SHOCKED at how good I felt. I actually started to get a little emotional towards the end - so corny - but I was realizing I could do it. I was doing it and it did NOT feel like it did at Milwaukee. It didn't feel HALF as hard. Those weeks, months and 2am wakeup calls..they all paid off. I am so super proud of myself. When I was nearing the finish line I started fist pumping and screaming "FU*& YES" over and over. I hope a photographer caught that! LOL. When I crossed the line HCBF yelled "HUN" and there he was holding Ruger! I started crying. LOL. I just was so happy.

Post race was awesome - PIZZA. I got my slice and took a bite, there was a cop standing right there and I looked at him and said THIS IS SO GOOD OH MY GOD!. He laughed. Lots of good swag - a cup (instead of a hat which I am sour about. I wanted a hat!), medal and finishers blanket!

I am at home now showered and in my blanket. HCBF is napping but I am too hyped to nap. My body is so tired but I just can't sleep. We are having spaghetti for dinner and then the rest of my CAKE! Smile I am feeling okay just PF in my left foot! SO RANDOM! Not sure what that is from! Especially from shoes I have raced in before. Who knows.

Richmond Marathon is my favorite favorite marathon. The crowd cheering your name the entire race...and vibe..the GORGEOUS views! If anyone needs VA...DO RICHMOND! I plan to do it every year. Its in my backyard..how can i not Smile

Next race isn't until Spring..though training for that starts soon. I am going to rest for a few though!! Smile Smile

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

PS I am giving all the credit to the cake I ate last night. Thats why I felt awesome. LOL

LC Runs

Lizzie - you did so AWESOME Girl!!  So proud of you, you worked so hard and deserved this!!  Your finish line moment sounds like Shalane Flanagan's last week, don't know if you saw her "F*** Yes"!  as she finished LOL!  Yes, the work drama sucks, why can't people just be adults?? The craft event was kind of a bust, it was a smaller venue and not well advertised.  We also have a big one the first weekend in December at the High School and it is a good place to get gifts.   Have a great night!!

Huron/Kathy - I guess I didn't read all of your post about last night, sorry it was so unorganized!

I managed to clean out about half of my room, one garbage bag filled LOL.  Tomorrow I'm planning on tackling the closet and dresser if I don't meet my mom for lunch, she wanted to meet for a birthday lunch but my step dad isn't feeling well so I'm not sure it will work out.

Have a great night, everyone!!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Lizzie, great race! Congrats on the PR! Do you think the cold had anything to do with the pee breaks? I had that happen last year at NCR and am convinced it was because I was cold.

10 miles for me with 3 x 2 miles at HM pace or something.