"I ran 938 miles in March" DoppleBock (Read 1336 times)

Why is it sideways?

Very un-Jeffy. Smile Not vibing well with the philosopher image of you i have conjured in my head.

Ha, well as a philosopher, I am not so into indulging fantasies.

I worked pretty hard at getting under 2:30 for about 4 years. I coulda worked harder and probably gotten there. Now I am pretty happy with racing shorter distances. Who knows, maybe some day I will make my return. For me, it would probably take a 5k time of close to 15 -flat to feel super confident about running under 2:30.

Also, I am not temperamentally well suited for grinding 100+ mile weeks and physiologically I seemed to break down pretty quickly once I got over 80 or 90 on a consistent basis, but probably if I had stuck with it and done it more progressively I could have gotten to the point that I could handle it.

MTA: Wait, was this thread about me? JokingClown

"I have time for 14 miles a week. That’s my life. I couldn’t run more if I wanted to, because there’s no time." - me, Sept 2010 

Hahahaha. I was a real bonehead 2 years ago.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

"I have time for 14 miles a week. That’s my life. I couldn’t run more if I wanted to, because there’s no time." - me, Sept 2010 

Hahahaha. I was a real bonehead 2 years ago.

Looking at your log, this is funny stuff.  Nice work.

It is amazing what we can do when we put our mind to it.  Something seems ridiculous one day, but then you put your head down and get to work...a couple years later you look up and it's right there in front of you for the taking.

I remember circa 2003-2004 running 8X1000m intervals with a buddy and averaging 3:06...we joked how awesome it would be to string 10 of those together and go sub-31 for 10K.  It seemed so outlandish, we were 33min post-collegiate guys who had already been training hard for a decade.  Then a couple years later I did it and he wasn't far off (31:30ish).

Of course now running like that is again about as outlandish as repeating a sub-2:30 marathon....though I can't quite give up hope of a marathon PR yet.

For me this whole thread boils down the Slo_Hand's quote in my sig line.  You want it, stop making excuses, stop talking about it, and do it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

on that note... I am going for a run. 

jfa

DB has done all of us hobby joggers a tremendous favor. Not only is he an inspiration on motivation ,endurance, and fortitude ( though most of us will come nowhere near his goals) ,  he has also provided us a very lofty comparison to use when we hear things from non runners like   "you ran how far, 26.2 miles? Are you crazy? 60 mile weeks? ". Thanks to DB, we have first hand knowledge and can promptly reply " that's nothing. There's this guy on the forum that has run154 miles, in 24 hours! He runs 600 miles per month ! , etc, etc "

Makes us seem, well, almost normal.

Whenever DB shares his training, I feel like such a slacker.  As I know that If the body can handle it and life allows it, most people should be able to fit in 2 hours of running/exercise each day, an hour in the morning/Lunch and an hour in the evening. Working close to home or at home certainly helps.  Driving to a gym or going someplace to run takes up more time than we realize. Race weekends takes up 4-5 hours for  25-60 min of running.

2 X 5 weekdays + 3 X 2 on the weekend gives us 16 hours and at 9 min miles, that is 100 miles a week. While if running 100 miles is ideal for most folks is debatable, finding time to run should not be.

(I took a couple of months off from all activity, but...)

I got to thinking about the "2 hours per day" should be easy, and tried to figure out how easy it could be.

So far this year, I've averaged 48.5 minutes per day of activity, but couldn't imagine averaging double that amount (let alone 2.5x that amount). 

The first 5 months were preparing for an Ironman.  June and July were recovery, vacation, and dealing with 100+ degree temperatures here in Dallas.  In August, I've begun re-building my base and preparing for 2013.

Basicallly, I'm not sure that 2 hours per day is "easy" to find.  I think it takes quite a bit of effort to find truly 2 hours of elevated HR activity time.

<colgroup> <col width="100" /> <col width="220" /></colgroup>
                                    3.15 days run (75:42:36)
                                    3.55 days bike (85:13.37)
                                    1.51 days swim (34:20.35)
                                    8.22 days active
              3.40% of the year (as of 2:15pm on 8/29/12)
              195.25 hours active
                                  48.49 minutes per day

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Purdey

Self anointed title

Basicallly, I'm not sure that 2 hours per day is "easy" to find. 

It depends on your motivation.  Back in the day when I was pretending to be a runner, for me it meant getting up at 4am instead of 6am.  It was that easy.

It depends on your motivation.  Back in the day when I was pretending to be a runner, for me it meant getting up at 4am instead of 6am.  It was that easy.

And you went to bed at same time, functioned just as well at work? 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

L Train

Purdey

Self anointed title

Yes thank you Nads. I tend to turn in early anyway. It made zero difference to my family time if I rose at 4 or 6am. For ME it was that easy. YMMV. I only needed 6hrs solid sleep to function. I can send my annual assessments from work if you would like. Wink

Yes thank you Nads. I tend to turn in early anyway. It made zero difference to my family time if I rose at 4 or 6am. For ME it was that easy. YMMV. I only needed 6hrs solid sleep to function. I can send my annual assessments from work if you would like. Wink

I did not mean it rhetorically.  I was asking for my own benefit, as I test the limits.  Thank you.  

MTA: And that is the thing: It also means little to my family time whether I wake at 4 or 6. That is why is it so temping to borrow heavily from that end of the candle.  

Purdey

Self anointed title

As you can see from my reply I didn't take it as a rhetorical question, rather as a literal question.

Purdey

Self anointed title

To be fair, I was exhausted in the evenings. Impact was more on my wife than my children. Expect to be ready for bed by 9:30pm.

To be fair, I was exhausted in the evenings. Impact was more on my wife than my children. Expect to be ready for bed by 9:30pm.

Perfect. Everyone knows the demons come out after 11:00 p.m., anyways.  

This will work in my wife's favor as my ability to resist her preferred programming will be weak(er).

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Not only is DB an awesome runner and an inspiration to us all, he makes a damn fine pretzel dip to boot. Wink

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.