How many marathons is TOO MANY in a year? (Read 924 times)

Are we there yet?

Myrlte Beach 2/14 Virginia Beach 3/22 Buffalo 5/24 San Francisco 7/26.. Potentially My wife is concerned that my new hobby could be harmful to my health. Does anyone know the proper amount of marathons that can be done in a year without adverse effects on the body? Confused I figured a two month window between races is adequate time to recover and prepare properly for the next.

Dave

Not sure anyone can give you an answer. http://www.chuckengle.com/ http://moostronaut.blogspot.com/ I'm fairly certain that 4 is not too many.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

1 is too many for me. 20 is just fine for some people. So the answer is somewhere between 0 and 52 depending on your fitness and ability to pound the pavement without damage to the body. Somebody who knows more than me can spy your log and say whether they think you should have 8 weeks between marathons or whatever.

Think Whirled Peas

srlopez is not impressed... Wink

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Not sure anyone can give you answer. http://www.chuckengle.com/ http://moostronaut.blogspot.com/ I'm fairly certain that 4 is not too many.
            From what I've seen after observing hundreds of runners is that it is way too many. For someone who wants to do well competitively it is definitely not a good thing. If you want to continue to run well on into your 50's, 60's, and beyond it is probably not a good idea either. Sure, you might do ok for a couple years but it will almost surely catch up with you. If seen hundreds of runners come and go during my 30 years of doing this, and the overwhelming majority who have overdone it with marathoning have not fared well. You can point to the Chuck Engles and other exceptions, but they are exceptions and even they would in all likelihood do much better if they ran fewer marathons. I'm quite involved in the running scene and know who most of the top masters runners are in Northern California. I can't think of a single one who does multiple marathons year after year. I also spent 14 years in Arizona before moving here and it was the same thing. This isn't something I'm making up. All we have to do is pay attention to what the great majority of the most successful runners do. One, or at most 2 marathons in a year, should be plenty and even that is pushing if done every year. As for the effect on one's health that's a whole other issue. I didn't used to think it was bad for us in this respect, but more and more I have seen evidence that it might be. Ok, now you can go ahead and pelt me with eggs and rotten tomatoes Black eye
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Definitely NO EXPERT here - since I have only run one marathon at that was 20 years ago (Come Patriots day in Boston).... BUT - my gut tells me the right answer has something to do with whether you want to simply run them or race them....If you run them easy and forget the watch (like along training run) I suspect you can run quite a few of them.. If you go all out and push it --- we're probably talking one or two in a year........

Champions are made when no one is watching

C-R

Interesting question - I have 6 planned this year starting with one on Sunday but I only plan on racing two of them. My take is that if you build a consistent base, running multiple marathons at training paces should be ok (SR should chime in) if you have recovery built into the schedule and pick a "goal" race or two at opposite ends of the seasons (Spring/Fall - Summer/Winter). Racing all of them would be very difficult IMO and increase the probability of injury but since I've not done this I have no personal experience just what I've read/heard.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BUT - my gut tells me the right answer has something to do with whether you want to simply run them or race them....If you run them easy and forget the watch (like along training run) I suspect you can run quite a few of them.. If you go all out and push it --- we're probably talking one or two in a year........
                  I agree, it all depends on if you want to race or just simply run a marathon. You can start looking at some of the running logs on this website and find some people who consistantly run long runs of 26+ miles every week (Dopple Bock comes to my mind). So that being said if you want to race every marathon then running a few a year you might be ok. But the guys that are doing 20+ a year I can garentee they are not putting 100% into every one of them.
                  Roses Revenge

It depends on whether you are running them or racing them. Since I'm only competing against myself, I think too many is one more than I've done so far. I'm two weeks past my first marathon this year. I was significantly undertrained because of what else was going on in my life. Last week end, I considered whether I would have been ready to do another one and decided I wasn't. Today, I feel like I could do one tomorrow or Sunday and probably beat my time from the one two weeks ago. Based on past experience, I'd be comfortable doing a marathon every three to four weeks, but I'm not going to because life and budget gets in the way

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well I am about to test the theory of racing two with only a month apart. The first was a disaster because I started too fast. We will find out about the send in a little more then two weeks. I think you should be able to do two marathons without a problem. I've done this for a few years without much problem. I think it is when you start to get them too close together that you might be asking for trouble. I know I am challenging the normal. Is your schedule for next year or this year. If this year then how did Myrtle Beach and Virgina Beach go?
                        2011 Goals:
                        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                      kcam

OP did a 3:07 and a 3:30 so far in his list of races. Sounds like maybe the first was a race and the 2nd was a long run. Race the next one and then jog Frisco (I love calling San Francisco 'Frisco', cuz local Bay Area peeps absolutely HATE it!). I think you could do something like this year after year without too much problems. But if you want to get faster/better at the marathon it's too many.
                          Agree that if they are run easily rather than raced it would make all the difference. I'm still not crazy about the idea, though, unless they are trail marathons to be run on soft surfaces. Twenty-six miles on pavement gives the body quite a pounding at any pace. To race a couple close together, like a 6-8 weeks apart, should be ok once in great while, but definitely not something to make a habit of.
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          bhearn

My wife is concerned that my new hobby could be harmful to my health. Does anyone know the proper amount of marathons that can be done in a year without adverse effects on the body? Confused.
                            Racing 4 in a year is pushing it. You won't be fully trained for all of them, especially with only 1.5 - 2 months apart. If you're treating some (most) as long runs done with a huge group of friends, then the sky's the limit... as long as you've built up to it gradually, over a period of years. But even there the limit is a pretty individual thing. You really have to listen to your body. The number I did per year, starting in 2004, is: 1 1 2 7 13 ? but I've only raced 1-2 per year. Most of those are training runs. A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to try to qualify for Marathon Maniacs, so I ran two marathons two weeks apart. It was hard, but not as hard as I thought. Then I got hooked... I moved up to two marathons one week apart, then a few weeks of one per weekend, then two marathons on successive days. Each time it gets a little easier; my body adapts. And my numbers are pretty wimpy as Maniacs go. Last year a Maniac set a world record and ran 105 marathons. Maybe Jim is right, but (1) if you build up slowly, and listen to your body, I think it's possible for your body to adapt, and get stronger, and (2) in my case, I actually believe running so many last year improved my performance on the ones I raced. That really shouldn't be too surprising. Specificity of training says that the best way to train for a marathon is to run 26 miles. The problem is, that takes a large toll on your body, so most training plans don't have you run that far. But if you can reach the point where it's just another long run, then you can use marathons with positive training effect. That's a win-win in my book!

Are we there yet?

OP did a 3:07 and a 3:30 so far in his list of races. Sounds like maybe the first was a race and the 2nd was a long run.
                              Yeah I raced the first one and had signed up for the second just in case I didn't BQ in the first, but after accomplishing that I was able to relax on the second. Now that I can wrap my head around the feeling of a marathon I have upped my training to try and go sub 3 in Buffalo. Then I will back off my pace in "Frisco" and enjoy the scenery. But after these four in 6 months, I will be looking to join the 5K circuit until Boston training Tongue