2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

DoppleBock

If you go - Still try and find me before the race - I would love to meet you - I will be warming up stretching in front of the start line the 10 minutes before the race starts.

Also - In Case a miracle happens and I go out @ 3:00 hour race - I would like to know who your friend is that is shooting for it.  No promises as currently the thought is to avoid a PW (3:09:48) - Although I have run slower pacing my sister a few times. 

Hey Dopplebock,

My training has been going horrible this year.   After running Boston this year, I took five weeks off to try to heal my heel problems that I had since last year.  One of them got better the other one has not, I'm still running through a lot of pain.  The pain is from the inflammation of the bursitis sacks behind the heel, probably due to heel spurs?     My training is also inconsistent due to two vacations this past summer.  I've also lost motivation due to above mention items.  I've only done two races since Boston,  this past weekend I did a 10K which was 50 seconds slower than last year.   I also do not have enough miles this year to be confident I can go sub three. Like you, I am still going to attempt it.  My revised goal is 2:59:59.  The main reason I'm still attempting sub 3 is because I talked a friend into running Lakefront again this year (he just missed sub 3 by 3 minutes last year) so I am going to try and pace him as long as I can.  I'm not very confident I can achieve the goal this year.  Do you think running around 65-70  miles per week for the next three weeks will help?  If you have a chance look at my log. It's horrible this year.  I hardly even have any tempo runs.  Thanks.  Good luck to you.        

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Flovesparko - I am leaving for Florida tomorrow ... so please give me a shout out at the marathon start line.  A week of vacation before a marathon is a crap shoot - If it goes well - I could be @ 3:00 if not closer to 3:10.

God, I wish I did not love beer so much!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DB - I just added this a week ago. I think I'm next up.

This course is not flat as like Glass City (ran in April) as there's some hills in the second half. And I might not be as sharp as I was then. Akron this weekend will have a different feel for me as I plan to race instead of going for a specific time. No idea how this might unfold.

With the assistance of a downhill 25th mile (100 ft elevation loss) I squeaked by in 2:59:08. Akron a more challenging course than my PR course in Toledo.

The men's race was a sprint finish and a 1-second margin of victory. Video here

I hope everybody's training is going well.  I had a shit week.  Only got in 45 miles due to a slight calf strain that forced me to skip my mid week medium run.  Did manage a 18 mile long run at MP +10%.

Just checked my log and I've done 12 runs of 18 miles or more over the past 90 days.

2 weeks left until 2:59:59 at Mohawk Hudson so it's taper time for me. 

kcam

Nice run, roots.  I think I have a 2:59:08 result from one of my marathons last year.  

My 2nd training week:  64 miles (8 runs).   All easy except for a  very hilly 5K XC race on Saturday (with warmup/cooldown runs actually ran the course 3 times so I got a great hill session with some fast running in) and an 18mile fast-finish long run this morning.  The LR this week felt so much better than last week's 16mile suffer-fest.  

mikeymike

Nice job, roots.

I got in 73 miles this week including a half marathon race today in 1:19:13.  I was pretty happy with that.  Three more weeks!

Runners run

The King of Beasts

94 miles 7 runs.

1 good long run, 21 miles

everything else was easy, but not shakeout easy.

feel pretty good.

the pack of guys I have been running with are all racing a marathon in a few weeks so I am a bit excited about training again.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Feeling the growl again

Well, September is going about how I expected it to months out when I saw my work travel schedule shaping up.  Ran 100 miles the last week of August, haven't broken 55 since.  Questionable next week.

This week we was "eh".  Could not get a workout in early in the week between jet lag and 94 degree weather in mid-sept (WTF?).  Had a bad cold by Thursday.  Ran crappy 16:19 5K and even more ridiculous 2:21 800m on Saturday.

Today I was scheduled for my last shot at a good, fast long run but still felt terrible in the morning.  But I manned up and stuck to the plan, 3 mile warmup then 13 miles 5:56 avg, then 5:36 mile and finished off for 19.  For how I felt I'll take it as a sign that while my speed is terrible due to few workouts this summer due to the heat my marathon conditioning still might get me 2:32-ish.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

Good week for me with 112 miles in 12 runs--a new weekly mileage PR.

No races, but a solid workout of 6 x mile, starting a little slower than MP and finishing a little faster than 10k pace.

I also had a couple of solid steady runs that finished around MP, including 14+ miles today with the last 10 around MP.

I'm feeling strong even with the high miles and excited to see what happens with a little rest and sharpening over the next 3 weeks.

6 days to go. Last week was blah. 42+ miles, with a 3x1mile workout from 5:56-6:05. Yesterday's 11 felt like crap, my right hip muscles hurt and are tight on every stride. What else should I expect, its the taper right. So Wineglass should be epic for me. Epic good or epic fail. No in-between. Having a 2:52 PR means theres no use in running slower, or a 2:50 or a 2:51. Might as well go for the whole-enchilada and try for 2:49 even though I have yet to run a single race that predicts it. Who cares right?

I weigh 155.8 lbs though which is pretty-much an alltime low. At least I can do that right!

The shirtless wonder

6 days to go. Last week was blah. 42+ miles, with a 3x1mile workout from 5:56-6:05. Yesterday's 11 felt like crap, my right hip muscles hurt and are tight on every stride. What else should I expect, its the taper right. So Wineglass should be epic for me. Epic good or epic fail. No in-between. Having a 2:52 PR means theres no use in running slower, or a 2:50 or a 2:51. Might as well go for the whole-enchilada and try for 2:49 even though I have yet to run a single race that predicts it. Who cares right?

I weigh 155.8 lbs though which is pretty-much an alltime low. At least I can do that right!

Good luck.  I think you'll do very well.  I'll be at wineglass but I won't be running.  I'll be a running mom for a good friend.  If you see a bald guy there that looks really jealous that's me.

flovesparko

Flovesparko - Where you at brother

I never got to training - But I will be there

Funny I did striders (Only speed work in a while) in the last 2 runs and my calves are sore.

I will be wearing my green swamp2k singlet, black race ready shorts and Asic 1140s - Blue & White - I have shaved off my goatee, but have really short hair.  I am 6'2 and @ 220# - I will have bib #2 on.

Hey Dopple Bock, I did respond back to you on 9-9-10, you must have missed it. I have some training but definitely not what I should have for a marathon. I ran a half two weeks ago, all out effort with a time of 1:20:50. About 90 seconds slower than last year at the same race with similar conditions. I was able to fake a decent half but I don't think I can fake a marathon with my half ass training the last month or two. I barely went sub 2:56 last year with good conditions. I have a feeling my legs are going to cramp somewhere around 20 miles. My plan is still to go out at 2:59:59 pace and hope for the best. My Bib number is 413, I will be wearing either a Black or Yellow singlet (They both have Brookfield Fleet Feet on the back) 5'8" 140lbs so just about half your size. I will try to get to start line 10 minutes before race. I will try to repost this Friday or Saturday.

I ran Lakefront last year too, and if I recall, you had way more in the tank when finished.  If I ran Lakefront at 2:57:01 with a half PR of 1:24:17 a month earlier, you can easily pull off a sub 2:57.  I think you are not giving yourself much credit here...

I ran a half two weeks ago, all out effort with a time of 1:20:50. About 90 seconds slower than last year at the same race with similar conditions. I barely went sub 2:56 last year with good conditions. I have a feeling my legs are going to cramp somewhere around 20 miles.

Almost wish we were doing Lakefront this year.  My wife and sister-in-law actually made the front cover of the runner's guide.  Too funny.  Training been's so-so as I've been sticking to XT-ing the last two-and-half weeks.  Two weeks until Chicago and what will hopefully be a <2:50 effort.  I've backed off the stretch goal of <2:40 since the achilles flared up.  Been keeping it at bay since and know I'll at least able to toe the line ready to go.  Not what I wanted for the last 5 weeks heading into the marathon but we'll see what happens.

flovesparko

I ran Lakefront last year too, and if I recall, you had way more in the tank when finished.  If I ran Lakefront at 2:57:01 with a half PR of 1:24:17 a month earlier, you can easily pull off a sub 2:57.  I think you are not giving yourself much credit here...

Hey Flatfooter, how's the training going? Is the injury completely healed? Thanks for the boost to my confidence but I've only averaged 37 miles for the last 18 weeks. The last time I tried to go sub three with that kind of mileage, I was walking at 20 miles. If that happens, I deserve it for training like a bum.