10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

My Sub 40 10k (Read 644 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Posted also on the main racing forum. Hi folks... Couldnt wait to get posting the result of my race on Saturday! The result... 38:59! (now official. 9th in age category, 27th overall from 988 finishers) I can hardly believe it. Im still on a high. I must thank you all for your support and encouragement over the past while. This was my big race in my home time and I wanted to prove to myself that I could go sub 40. Race conditions were perfect. Cool, overcast and only a slight breeze. I was nervous but had warmed up well and felt reasonably good. I got myself intoo the second row of runners at the start to make sure I wasnt held up and took off at what felt a comfortable pace. I arrived at 1k in 3:30 which frightened me a bit. I wouldnt be able to keep this pace up but I new I couldnt drop off too much. There was a slight climb up to 2k so I dug in to try to keep on target and made it there in 7:15. I was feeling the pace now and had to try and relax without dropping off the pace. There was another rise to the 3k mark and I decided not to check my time and to push on to the 4k mark. 3- 4k was on forest trail but felt fairly fast so i was a bit dissappointed to hit 4k in 16:04. I got talking to another runner just before the 4k mark and he was aiming for 39 we chatted a bit before being jokingly being told off by a runner comming up behind us that we were going to too easy if we were able to chat. He invited me to keep up with him. I tried for a few hundred meters but had to let him go or I would have blew it. At the 5k mark it was 19:19. I was pleasantly suprised but knew that with a huge hill between 7 & 8K this is where I had to be to go sub 40. It was dig in time now. I was starting to hurt and I had to try and relax. I let my 39 pacemaker go and tried focus on my own goals. I kow I checked my watch at 6k but I cant remember the time. I started to feel relaxed between 6 & 7, there were some thoughts in my head at this stage that I might not do it. Maybe this helped me relax, I dont know. At 7k I was off the pace, 28:14! There was a whopper of a hill coming up. In training this was tougn and it could be as much as a minute on your time. It was dig in time now and hope for the best. Ididnt check my time at 8k! 8 to 9 was a fast section and i new this was it. No regrets! I had to push! At 9k I couldn't believe it! 35:04! I was going to go sub 40. and probably well under. I was running out of steam now but just had to keep going. The last 300m were on the running track and I thought about saving a bit til then. But there could be no regrets. I dug deep. I reached the track and I heard my name. I heard it again. Shouts of encouragement from the crowd. with 150 to go I heard my name a gain and i started to lengthen my stride. There was nothing there. I dug deeper! at about 50m to go I could see the clock. 38 something! a bit closer and I could read 38:50. I sprinted on empty! I had to be close to 39:00. I finished gasping. I had given it everything! But what a reward! My wife had photographed me finishing, the clock said 38:58. I was 2m off the line in the photo. I'm going to say 38:59 until I get the official result. Running. The most rewarding sport in the world!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

A Saucy Wench

Congrats again!!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Future running partner.

That is quite a milestone! Congrats!!! Smile
          Great news, Banana Man You have some natural ability to show that kind of improvement on such limited mileage. Even though you are in your 40's I believe you have potential to go a lot faster too. Congratulations!
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          Eustace Tierney

YoYo

You have some natural ability to show that kind of improvement on such limited mileage. Even though you are in your 40's I believe you have potential to go a lot faster too. quote> Cheers Jim! Will try to train properly from now on. Will keep my feet on the ground and set myself some realistic goals. Thanks again to all!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Marquess of Utopia

Very impressive. When is your next race?
              Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Very impressive. When is your next race?
                Next race is either 22nd or 24th July. Another 10k. Will be interesting to see if I can reproduce thjat form. Cheers!