3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

If you can do 8 x 800 on a treadmill, something in you is broken, and I don't mean your hip.  I can't even get myself to *run* on a treadmill, let alone do a workout on one.  Hope the hip is sorted soon.

I did 8X800 on the treadmill and didn't break myself.  The treadmill is another story.

I still feel a burn deep in my right hip, like what ended up locking me up during the marathon attempt last week.  I've got no clue.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

C-R

I did 8X800 on the treadmill and didn't break myself.  The treadmill is another story.

I still feel a burn deep in my right hip, like what ended up locking me up during the marathon attempt last week.  I've got no clue.

You killed another treadmill?

Did you get an MRI to rule out any stress fractures? Labral tear?

MTA: there is a Woodway TM for sale in Fishers. It's out of my price range but I doubt you could kill this one. They are damn fine machines and I recall watching a video of Wanjuru running 4:30s on his.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

#artbydmcbride

I came home from work and lay down for a few minutes before going out to meet the running club for a run.  2 hours later of deep, drooley mouthed sleep, I got into my pajamas and went back to sleep.   I guess it was my best 'workout' this week.  Smile   Hopefully it makes my bronchitis and hamstring pain better in the long run.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

You killed another treadmill?

Did you get an MRI to rule out any stress fractures? Labral tear?

MTA: there is a Woodway TM for sale in Fishers. It's out of my price range but I doubt you could kill this one. They are damn fine machines and I recall watching a video of Wanjuru running 4:30s on his.

The console is starting to act whacky for what, the 6th time.  When you are going 12mph and get to the end of an interval and hit the 6mph button, it would be nice if it actually slowed down.  Then you hit stop and it stops, but the decline also goes down 1/2%.

It's under 7 year full warranty with service -- I am going to make them escalate it this time.  A fancy machine would be nice but I am cheap and going to hold them to the contract on this one.

No MRI or anything yet; this is now the OTHER hip from the one I was seeing the chiro for (which is now fine).  I'm hoping it's just tight from running so little, one reason I did some speedwork to stretch it out.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

No MRI or anything yet; this is now the OTHER hip from the one I was seeing the chiro for (which is now fine).  I'm hoping it's just tight from running so little, one reason I did some speedwork to stretch it out.

There are other ways to stretch it out you know.  You don't have to go kill your treadmill and try taking yourself down with it too.  Oh wait, you like that kind of abuse, never mind.

Prince of Fatness

My injury crap started as a left hamstring tendon tear.  Now it is on the right side.  It's like I am chasing imbalance around my body.  I would think that there would be an end point but so far no.  I wish that I had some answers for you.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

There are other ways to stretch it out you know.  You don't have to go kill your treadmill and try taking yourself down with it too.  Oh wait, you like that kind of abuse, never mind.

It's the Hurtlocker. It's sort of par for the course.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

It's not so much that I enjoy constant, unproductive pain when I run, but that every time I take action to fix something it whack-a-mole's to another location.  Dropping coin on the chiro fixed one problem, now this came up without me doing anything that could have pulled/torn it.  It was fine before I pretty much stopped running for a couple weeks.

If there is one thing I have learned, disuse is not helping.  So I am carefully trying to get back out there.  I had planned more running after the intervals last night; I cut it short to make sure I was not over-doing it.

Now, the treadmill, that SOB is going to take its beating like a cagefighter in three weight classes over his head.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Walk-Jogger

I came home from work and lay down for a few minutes before going out to meet the running club for a run.  2 hours later of deep, drooley mouthed sleep, I got into my pajamas and went back to sleep.   I guess it was my best 'workout' this week.  Smile   Hopefully it makes my bronchitis and hamstring pain better in the long run.

Ilene,  I've done that "workout" a few times myself, and when that's what your body needs, that's the best thing you can do for it! Were you disoriented when you woke up form the nap? If I sleep through sunset and it's partially or mostly dark outside when I wake up, I sometimes can't tell if it's the next morning already, or what. Hope your hamstring and bronchial stuff gets better soon. 

Retired &  Loving It

Walk-Jogger

Spaniel, good work on the 8x800 and stopping before you  (or the treadmill)  went up in flames!

As for myself, I've had no exceptional workouts this week, but my left tibia has been painfree for a week now, so I will try running a low-key 10K race (nice and flat course!) on Saturday morning.

I had a very interesting dinner conversation last night at a university social function (grad student awards ceremony) with elderly a co-worker of mine. Jim is 89 years old and has been officially "retired" for many years, but still maintains an office here at the university and comes to work every day, and is still sharp as a tack mentally and has better memory than I do. I know that he used to work out regularly at the Rec center where I do all of my indoor running and weights, but I haven't seen him there for a couple of years now and I don't know anything about his sports background.  My DW teaches German language and culture, and she and Jim were engaged in a wide-ranging conversation about places they've both visited in Germany, and WWII and German film and Leni Riefenstahl, and then Jim, knowing that I'm a runner, mentioned that he had clear memories of the 1936 Olympics in Berlin (he was 12 years old), and what a big deal Jesse Owens was back then. Jim then mentions casually that he had met and knew Jesse Owens in person in New York sometime after the Olympics. This caught me off guard, and I didn't think to ask questions such as what year it was and what their association was (school? athletic events?) to get more of the details.  Made for a great dinner conversation though. 

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, good work on the 8x800 and stopping before you  (or the treadmill)  went up in flames!

As for myself, I've had no exceptional workouts this week, but my left tibia has been painfree for a week now, so I will try running a low-key 10K race (nice and flat course!) on Saturday morning.

I had a very interesting dinner conversation last night at a university social function (grad student awards ceremony) with elderly a co-worker of mine. Jim is 89 years old and has been officially "retired" for many years, but still maintains an office here at the university and comes to work every day, and is still sharp as a tack mentally and has better memory than I do. I know that he used to work out regularly at the Rec center where I do all of my indoor running and weights, but I haven't seen him there for a couple of years now and I don't know anything about his sports background.  My DW teaches German language and culture, and she and Jim were engaged in a wide-ranging conversation about places they've both visited in Germany, and WWII and German film and Leni Riefenstahl, and then Jim, knowing that I'm a runner, mentioned that he had clear memories of the 1936 Olympics in Berlin (he was 12 years old), and what a big deal Jesse Owens was back then. Jim then mentions casually that he had met and knew Jesse Owens in person in New York sometime after the Olympics. This caught me off guard, and I didn't think to ask questions such as what year it was and what their association was (school? athletic events?) to get more of the details.  Made for a great dinner conversation though. 

Back in around 2006 as a friend and I waited for the Univ of Michigan indoor track to clear, a guy who looked about 70 came up and started conversation.  Realizing we were fairly serious runner he asked if we wanted to see something neat.  He showed us his watch....from Penn Relays, circa late 1920s.  The guy was really 93 or something like that at the time, but sure didn't look it.  Turned out to be a retired former UofM coach.  He RACED Jesse Owens!  It sure is nice finding some connections to such events.

#artbydmcbride

Wow, Cecil and spaniel!  That is so cool!

Runners run

Wow.. thats crazy.

And we run because we like it
                            Through the broad bright land

kcam

Man, that is cool spaniel and Cecil!

This guy (Ralph Gamez) is next-door neighbor to Jim Howe (poster here on RA).  Check out the picture titled "12/27/63 Examiner Indoor" in this link.

Modified to take out something I should not have said.

Walk-Jogger

Man, that is cool spaniel and Cecil!

This guy (Ralph Gamez) is next-door neighbor to Jim Howe (poster here on RA).  Check out the picture titled "12/27/63 Examiner Indoor" in this link.

Modified to take out something I should not have said.

That's cool! I see he raced Gerry Lindgren in the two-mile in high school in 1963.  Gerry went on to attend college here at WSU and minored in Russian language, which he studied right here in this very building where I am sitting as I type this.  (It' s my lunch break, if anyone asks...).

Henry Rono and Bernard Lagat both also went to school here at WSU as well, but I don't know if either of them took any classes in this building. Lagat was here at WSU from 1996-2000 as an undergrad, and I probably saw him around all the time but didn't know who he was. I wasn't running or following the sport much at the time. Also Michael Kosgei, a 2:08 marathoner went to school here, although I'm not familiar with him.

Retired &  Loving It