50 and over 5k and beyond

January 2023 - Run Resolutions and Race Reports (Read 8 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Happy New Year everyone! Guess I'm starting the new topic! As mentioned I planned today to do a walk as cross training. I left at 2:15 and it was 41 degrees and sunny. I decided to visit the Chanler Preserve. I feel I've neglected many of the nature trails in my area and this one is so close to my house. This tract of undeveloped land was donated to the Genesee Valley Conservancy, the same organization that sponsers the Oak Tree races I do. Not sure why it is called the "Island" preserve since I only saw a small pond not far from this sign.

Here is were I entered, just 3/4 of a mile down the road from my house!

Here is the start of the trails. I did not know what to expect, but the trails were mowed through these grassy fields.

Big fields with tall grasses

and had some sunshine, at least until near the end of the walk.

Some tall trees

and there were areas of woods with paths inside partly covered with wood chips and leaves

To the lower right you can see one of the trails mowed out in the grasses

Some areas of the trail had puddles of water. I wore old shoes and just walked through this one, but one section later on was all underwater and I had to turn back

The preserve's other entrance is on the road that runs past the High School which I frequently run on. You can see that road just to the left of the little pond and part of the school on the other side of the road beyond the speed limit sign.

The total walk was 4.5 miles, 3 of which were in the preserve. The trails were very soft and would make a nice alternative surface for some of my runs! I plan to make more use of this area!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

• HAPPY 2023!! 
        Thanks Altair for starting the year. It’s amazing how much we can take many nearby amazing undiscovered public spaces for granted where we live …. such a nice way to greet the new year. I would absolutely be running there ….. perfect distance for an out and back. 

New Year’s Eve day: Missed group run at 9 am. I had to pick up a few items at grocery store, BIG mistake!!  DH does the shopping so it didn’t occur to me that there would be LONG LONG lines. My run was at noon. Very cold but tomorrow predicted to be worse so ran on cleared urban trail (pavement), 5 miles. 
        New Year’s Day: 6.2 miles. Same paved urban trail. Another cold day but if I can run in MN on NYD, I can run in northern AZ. Predicted snowstorm is later. As it turns out, I’m glad I ran when I did. Interstate 40 (east/west) and 17 (north/south) were closed late afternoon. It was a mess. Windy, sleet, snow and quiet on the highway near our neighborhood. 
        We had turkey and scrumptious side dishes. Recipe cooking is relaxing for me. We stayed home watching movies. Quiet 20th anniversary celebration. We’re so lame  But honestly, the weather pretty much dictates our activity and travel. 
        Mon: the wellness center is closed. Altair: it’s not a 24/7 place. Which is fine as I usually run long out on the trails on weekends or with group, not on TM. So, Just a home workout today. Making soup from a recipe. 
      dhuffman63

Trails

Happy new year.

Looks like I'll be starting the year doing dialysis.  I have an appt with the surgeon who will place the PD catheter this morning and then a meeting with the dialysis center people.  I knew this day was coming but I was hoping I'd get a kidney first.  Oh well dialysis will keep me alive long enough to get a new kidney.

I chose peritoneal dialysis as it's easier on your body and more like what normal kidneys do.  Plus I can still go to work and travel as my dialysis is done at home over night.  Could be worse.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

AZ - Happy anniversary! I looked it up, china is the traditional gift for the 20th anniversary and an emerald is the gemstone. Too bad you missed the group run and I know the paved trail is not your favorite running surface, but at least you got in runs before the messy storm. The preserve was very peaceful, a nice grassy meadow away from traffic. Online I saw it covers 54 acres, but not all of it has trails through it.

Di - I looked up peritoneal dialysis, sound scary having fluid added to abdominal cavity and removed, but at least it will be done at home while you sleep. I pray that you will get a kidney soon.

Monday, I had a honey-do list and it rained all day Tuesday. So, no runs those days and I may not reach my millage goal this week. It was overcast and not raining at noon when I left for my run. I hoped to finish my six-mile route before it rained.
          It was foggy from all the rain. I like the contrast with the dark bare trees

Now these are basically taken of the same view, but the second was taken on my way back when the fog had increased. I do worry about my visibility to traffic in heavy fog, should have worn a blinking light.

In my last mile the rain started! Run did not work out as planned for keeping dry, but at least the rain came near the end when I was warmed up from the exercise and did not mind it too much!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

With no runs Monday and Tuesday and just six miles yesterday I decided to go over ten miles today. It was sunny and 42 degrees when I started. Early in the run I did not remember whether the route takes a street that cuts a corner or not, I decided not to cut the corner and that increased my run distance to over 11 miles! It was a nice day so I did not mind. For those who are expecting snow pictures our weather has been unseasonably warm!
            This is the same area of the foggy views from yesterday, from a slightly different vantage point. Thought it might be interesting to see those trees without the fog.

As sky began to get overcast after the first mile you could see rays coming out from breaks in the cloud bank.

Another selfie, but I kept my shirt on this time, so I'll let you see it! Note I allow my hair to grow all winter, but will get a buzzcut during summer. This was taken at 5 1/2 miles, the highpoint midway of my run, 350 feet above the lowest point. Mostly downhill from here on.

This pond is overflowing into the field! You can see some geese behind the pond.

At the six mile point the sun came out and stayed up to the 9 1/2 mile point. Nice to get some sun after some rainy days! Legs felt tired and I was deliberately keeping an easy, slow pace, but actually sped up a little by the end of the run. Total distance 11.29 miles, my longest distance since some 12 milers in June.

Art in AZ

Happy late New Year.

Sunday was a rest day as it rained most of the day. Cold, wet and dreary describes the weather.

Monday morning did 4.4 miles walking in the neighborhood. The canal part was pretty wet and muddy from what I could see so I skipped it.

Tuesday morning was another rest day because of rain.

Wednesday morning was another rest day because of an early work start.

Thursday morning did a 12.5 mile bike ride through a different neighborhood. Figured I would give my knee some more rest. It's been full overcast all day. Friday is expected to be the same.

Altair - Those trails will be cool in the summer to run on. Though I think the insect potential will be higher than now.  Good job in getting in a longer run than expected.

AZ - With the crazy weather we have been having it's hard trying to get our runs in some times. Happy anniversary.

DI - Sorry for the unpleasant news. Hopefully a kidney will be available soon.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - I also have found that weather can wreck havoc with training plans. Lucky for me work no longer effects that since I'm retired, unless it is home projects I've started. Good job getting in a walk and bike ride when you could! I hope the knee improves. My insect concern in the summer is the biting deer flies. They seem to hang near water, so maybe that meadow will be free of the pests.

I planned out runs for today, Saturday and Sunday so I could reach my 35 mile goal for the week. My leg muscles and joints were still sore from the long run yesterday, but my plan was to do six miles today. It was 39 degrees and mostly sunny at noon when I when for my run. Ocassional dark clouds passed overhead, but did not get the rain or snow some forecasts predicted. The sun felt nice, but clouds covered the sky by mile 4. Garmin said I did 6 1/4 miles total.
                A friendly horse came up to the fence, a bit muddy from the wet ground

Row of trees with cloudy skies

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Overcast cast and 36 degrees when I did a five mile run, lightly snowing the last mile. Legs not as sore today.

Here is one of the roads I ran on

A big tree and the high school

Di: I’m sorry the year is not off to a good start……but it’s good to be on some stage of a beginning treatment. As others have mentioned, we are all rooting for you, you’re a tough cookie. Please keep us updated.

Altair: dreary weather in the photos ….. not keeping you indoors  , good job on getting runs in out in the cold. Foggy days can be eerie …… and affects visibility on highway, good you’re being careful. Nice closeup pic of the muddy horse, seems almost relieved to have company  . Nice selfie too. 

Art:  Hope the combination of walking and biking helps heal the knee. Does it radiate to other parts of the leg? The weather conditions here are nice with the sunny days and partly cloudy ones. It melts the snow which makes for slushy muddy slippery trails. Tourists and out-of-towners get all excited just to see snow. At least there has been some crack down on them stopping anywhere they want along shoulder of roads just so their kids can go sledding   until the plastic sleds break and they just leave it 

Led: how was the CO trip. Everyone ok? 

• Tues: 6.1 miles on TM. 15 minutes elliptical, 20 stretching. 
                          Thurs:  7.1 miles on TM. Joined TRX class (just 3 of us) afterwards. 
                          Fri: Easy Pi-Yo routine to stretch out tight right quads and groin. 
                          Sat: 4 solo miles on mostly slushy trail. Right thigh and groin felt better. Took it slow and easy; shoes/socks drenched. Took down Xmas tree and stuff; took all of 35 minutes.  DH still likes the lights on adobe wall and the huge lighted green wreath. So who knows when that’ll be taken down. 
                          Oh, DH finished and passed the the truck driving CDL program and license from DMV. He will apply at couple of local places. There is a high need for semi truck drivers but he’s not interested. He’s hoping for PT but they advertise for FT only. Since need is high, he might have an advantage to negotiate IMO. 
                        LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Happy New Year, y'all, you've probably forgotten me!  I don't have much time for catching up, but I'd better post something.

The 3 year old who we had spent the day with was the only one who tested positive through the whole holiday period, so either she was not contagious or the vaccinations did a great job. The trip was fine - we had a great time with DD and MIL, SIL BIL - all of those XILs! Smile - and that kind of made up for having to spend Christmas in isolation. My runs during the trip were short, simply because I had lots of other things to do with family.  Posting one pic from 8600' altitude:

We actually hurried home a day early because there was an ice storm on our tail - that was okay, but we would have liked for it to be a bit more leisurely.

Since the trip it's been pretty routine.  Today I went 7.4 miles plus 4 on bike for a quick run to the store for brunch ingredients. It tired me out, I guess, because I took a pretty long nap this afternoon.

Altair - The Boston Marathon book looks great, with Hal Higdon's signature and a foreword by Dave McGillivray (I heard him speak in Lincoln a couple of years ago).  Fantastic that last year was your 2nd highest mileage year! You're still racking up good miles - keep it up!  Nice that you took a run on the Chanler Preserve, although you encountered some mud.

AZ - So you got some significant snow. Not much here so far. You and Bones are having some nice runs. Your Shiprock FM is the day before the Lincoln Marathon. I only signed up for the half, because I'm a wimp. Wink  Congrats on your 20th anniversary. Sometimes a quiet celebration is the Right Thing for the occasion.  Hope hubby gets a good driving job.

Di - Your PT dialysis is something you can deal with.  Not ideal, but it could sure be worse. Hope it's just a minimal inconvenience, and hope the transplant comes along soon.

Art - Good miles in spite of the knee problems.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Az - Good going getting in those treadmill miles without getting too bored. The slushy trail can be messy. Nice to have the Xmas tree put away, my GF want me to keep ours up for a while, guess it cheers up the winter blues. Aren't you and DH some sort of dentists? I assume he does not need the money from being a FT truck driver and is doing it for his own satisfaction. We get many gloomy days this time of year, at least it has been warm for the season. As kids we had Flexible Flyer sleds, but often went down the hill on a piece of metal off an old refrigerator!

Led - was about to post when I saw yours! Glad you did not get sick and enjoyed time with DD and ILs. Family time is more important than runs, although doesn't your DD run? Very jealous of the sharp pictures you smartphone takes! Nice view and colors! I do not know who Dave McGillivray is, I'll have to look him up! It was actually a walk I did on the Chanler Preserve, but it does look good for running!

I calculated I needed about 6.4 more miles for my 35 mile week goal. I decided to do a nearly 3.5 mile long trail, the out and back would give me the needed distance and then some. This was another trail of the Genesee Valley Conservancy, basically a strip of woods with fields on either side with a rough trail going through. It used to be an old railroad bed. Started my run about 2 pm, it was 33 degrees and partly cloudy.
                            Here is the trail entrance. The trail crosses several roads along the way.

One of the fields by the side of the trail. There were signs not to depart from the trail onto private land.

The trail started very nice, a soft, leafy surface. At first I saw only deer tracks, but later some human footprints and further on some horseshoe impressions. I had to watch myself. Near the beginning some tree roots crossed the path.

There were also some small branches fallen on the trail, tripping hazards.

Here I had to duck under a fallen tree, you can see another fallen tree further back on the trail.

I had to cross a couple small streams.

As I was running a man came out from a side path. He warned me people ahead were hunting and beagles might jump out in front of me on the path! I mentioned the trail was muddy is some parts and he said they did not cover it with gravel because of the horses. I could see a group of like ten people, male and females, up ahead. When I reached them I heard the beagles off in the fields barking, I did not see anyone with a rifle. I asked if they were hunting pheasants and a man replied bunnies! I was traveling slightly down hill and after I passed the hunters the trail had more and more sections that were muddy or covered with water. I thought of AZ just running through the water and I did wear old shoes so I did not care if they got wet or muddy, but my feet would sink into the mud and I was afraid it would pull my shoes off! So, I decided to walk around or slowly through the wet or muddy sections. Areas where the horses had passed though the mud were often bumpy and uneven from thier tracks. I had to pick my feet up more than my usual shuffle to avoid tripping.

After 2 3/4 miles the trail looked more like a stream! Time to turn back, perhaps will try again in the summer when it is dry.

Almost back and on higher ground again. I did stumble and fall, but with the soft leaves the only thing hurt was my dignity! I did not see what tripped me, perhaps I was not paying attention to my stride. My glasses flew off and I had to look for them. Next trail run I will use some elastic cords I have that attach to the earpieces so the glasses can't come off.

The long shadows of the tree trunks and the camera's inability to handle the full range of light values give this photo an abstract look. That little dark spot in the center is actually where the trail slips into a tunnel of shade.

Found this little skull, my guess is raccoon, but could it be one of the bunnies they were hunting?

Well I only did 5.7 miles on the trail, with some of it walking. I needed about .8 miles to reach my goal. So I put my gloves, hat and sweatshirt in my car, I long ago had taken them off when I warmed up, and ran down the road a little ways. Did another .9 miles, giving me 35.3 mile total for the week.
                            From the road I saw these migrating geese.

A stubbly field with an irrigation pipe.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Considered a 9 mile run, but got a late, 2:15 pm, start. Overcast, just below freezing. Did 7.4 miles.

Bare trees

tangled clump of trees

Art in AZ

Friday morning was just 1.6 miles because it felt colder and was windy. Thought of going out later but got busy with other stuff. Next thing I knew it was dinner time.

Saturday morning did 4.5 miles. Spent part of the day cooking. Made what's called a Rueben casserole. First time with this and it was delicious. Definitely will make this again.

Sunday morning did 5 miles with a little exercise. After breakfast worked in the garden. Took out 2 cauliflower heads, a broccoli, some radishes, lettuce and carrots. Blanched the cauliflower and broccoli and put in freezer. Used the rest to make a salad. Made stuffed chicken wrapped in bacon. More yummy food.

Monday morning did 4.2 miles and did some work in the afternoon.

Tuesday morning was another 4.2 miles with exercises.

Still walking and the knee is slowly feeling better. No pain when walking just a feeling of discomfort and soreness. Hard to explain. The pain is next to the side of the knee on the inside. Like now, I don't feel anything from that area. But there are times when I feel the discomfort. So still taking it easy for a while more.

Altair - Nice job getting in a 35+ mile week. I don't remember mentioning this earlier. When we were getting all that rain I drove by the bike/golf course area in Scottsdale. A few of the roads were blocked off filled with water. Some areas of the bike paths were still under water. Now that we haven't had rain for a few days I might ride the bike to there this weekend. The overcast days sure do make us wish for sunny days.

AZ - The treadmill comes in handy when the trails are wet and mushy. You would think people would know better than to stop along the road instead of going to a park. The pain hasn't moved to any other area. Just to the side of the knee on the inside. Hopefully DH can find something. Took the other car to the dealer this morning and they had signs up telling they were short staffed and things were taking longer than they wanted. The waiting room was packed. We just left the car and told them to call when it was finished.

Led - Too bad you had to leave a day early to beat the storm. But anytime with family is good.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ