Beginners and Beyond

Marathon Training Tips and Advice (Read 114 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've ran two 16 miles this past spring, the one on April 6 was 2:41:16 with an average pace of 10:08 and the last 4 miles were 9:58, 9:51, 9:51 and 9:05.

The other one was April 13, and it was 16.2 miles in 2:46:59 with an average pace of 10:19 and the last 4 miles were 10:13, 9:55, 9:27, 9:26 and the .2 was 8:36

Normally I do much better during races but I'll reassess everything halfway through training. Sixteen miles is still 10 miles less than a marathon.

So 10:18 is GMP.  No one is laughing at you, it is entirely possible with a sub-2 HM to your credit.

Maybe try the last 5-6 miles of your LR at that pace roughly halfway through your training.  If 10:18 feels too hard to maintain then, back off.  If it feels easy and you finish the LR in good shape, shoot for a faster goal time.  If it feels a bit strenuous but like you'd be able to do more miles at that effort the next time, that's your pace.  Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I've ran two 16 miles this past spring, the one on April 6 was 2:41:16 with an average pace of 10:08 and the last 4 miles were 9:58, 9:51, 9:51 and 9:05.

The other one was April 13, and it was 16.2 miles in 2:46:59 with an average pace of 10:19 and the last 4 miles were 10:13, 9:55, 9:27, 9:26 and the .2 was 8:36

Normally I do much better during races but I'll reassess everything halfway through training. Sixteen miles is still 10 miles less than a marathon.

Technically, a non-fastish LR is 60-90 seconds off MP.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You need to be more detailed, I got lost on that.

Technically, a non-fastish LR is 60-90 seconds off MP.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

No more marathons

Couple of quick comments based on scanning the previous 5 pages.  These are obviously only my opinions therefore worth not much.

1.  There is a HUGH gap between hobby jogging and racing on the edge for a marathon.  And somewhere in between those two is certainly a range of "just having fun with it".

2.  The marathon is not like any other race (unless maybe an ultra but I've never run one of those so can't comment).  I say this from the commitment required, and the one shot crap shoot of the weather, how you feel, and a host of other things that can come between you and a good effort on that one day.  All other shorter races you can come back in a week or so and do it all again.  Not so the marathon (unless you're D - then you can).

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

You need to be more detailed, I got lost on that.

She means if your goal pace is 9 minutes per mile then a "non fastish" (come on D, that's not a word) long run would be at 10 to 10:30 per mile.

He's a leaker!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Ohhhh... see that is what I assumed, but you know what they say about assumptions 

I am sure my long runs this summer are going to be awful, or at least 1-2 minutes slower than my long runs during late winter to early spring. That is why I love running long distances in Fall and early Winter 

She means if your goal pace is 9 minutes per mile then a "non fastish" (come on D, that's not a word) long run would be at 10 to 10:30 per mile.

PRs

onemile

I found that as a newer runner most of my runs were near (or even below) MP.  Slowest long runs were around MP+30 seconds per mile.  Now that differential is much bigger. I can easily run MP+1:30 or even a bit slower on recovery days. I wouldn't worry so much about your pace for them (intentionally trying to slow down).

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Yup...

As a comment, the longest runs in my plan are 18 and I only have 3 of those.

Different training method though - a crapload of miles all week (no rest days) and less dependency on a really long - long run.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I suck at slowing down, I normally just let my body do whatever feels extremely easy or comfortable on the easy days, and that is always at conversational pace.... so that's a good thing right? Heck, I honestly think my long runs and mid-long runs are pretty close to conversational pace up until the final 3-5 miles then I push harder.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Eww... that sounds sucky lol  I love long runs, they are my favorite runs and I love my mid week runs that normally half or a few miles less than my long run. Plus, I think hitting 20 miles a couple of times will build confidence for me, I can tell myself "heck, it's only 6.2 miles more" lol.

Yup...

As a comment, the longest runs in my plan are 18 and I only have 3 of those.

Different training method though - a crapload of miles all week (no rest days) and less dependency on a really long - long run.

PRs

No more marathons

Eww... that sounds sucky lol  I love long runs, they are my favorite runs and I love my mid week runs that normally half or a few miles less than my long run. Plus, I think hitting 20 miles a couple of times will build confidence for me, I can tell myself "heck, it's only 6.2 miles more" lol.

Not sure who said it on one of the forums but it was along the lines of since you are running all week, and then running your long run, you should not look at your 18 or 20 miler as the training for first part of your marathon, but rather this is training for the last 18 to 20 miles.

He's a leaker!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I was lost until the last sentence lol. Yeah, I get that. I've read about how during marathon training you want to be running on tired legs, or to get used to doing some of your long runs on tired legs so that you can prepare for the feelings of exhaustion during the later part of the marathon race.

Not sure who said it on one of the forums but it was along the lines of since you are running all week, and then running your long run, you should not look at your 18 or 20 miler as the training for first part of your marathon, but rather this is training for the last 18 to 20 miles.

PRs

LRB

I found that as a newer runner most of my runs were near (or even below) MP.  Slowest long runs were around MP+30 seconds per mile. 

it's kind of funny to think about it now but my marathon pace for my first was only about 25 seconds per mile faster than my easy pace, which I held until an epic drop-off in what I now know as unmarathonable running temperatures (yes that's a word).  My overall pace thus ended up being my easy pace when it was all said done.

I missed my goal time by only 10 minutes but to your point yes, when you are new and training on relatively low mileage there tends to be not much of a gap between marathon pace and easy pace.  And that is perfectly okay when you understand you are racing to your ability for where you are at that time, not where you someday hope to be.

I probably should have waited another year or two to run my first but I have absolutely zero regrets with that decision, not a one.  That whole experience was both the best of times, and the worst of times. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It's a word if I say it is. 

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

MP+30 is a good one for LRs as well.

Like some say, if you ran your marathon slower than your LR pace, you picked the wrong GMP.  Reconvene and try again.

Marathons are hard and pacing them are even harder.  It's an art that we struggle to master.

Damaris