Beginners and Beyond

Torta Tuesday Penguins (Read 23 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jack - Being 220 pounds when you run it doesn't help.  Trust me on that.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Dad on the run.

I'm in a pissy ass mood today. I had a fantastic week, followed by a shitty week, followed by so far another shitty week. My legs feel like death, my shins hurt, my achilles hurt and I just can't seem to get a grasp on what the hell is going on! I've been at this for two years and any time I try to make progress something goes wrong and this guy who has been running less than a year goes out lastnight after not running for about a week and a half and runs a 13.1 at 9:09m/m. However, he does run with a 5s and nike app and I don't trust the phone GPS at all. When I ran with my phone my mileage would vary greatly from one day to the next, for all I know he could have really only ran 11.5 to 12 miles. I'm beyond frustrated and just got on here to rant a little. He will end up beating me in mileage this month but I wonder how many extra miles he gets because of his phones inability to track accurately? I know that makes me sound like a sore loser but when I run with my watch it beeps without fail in the same spots every time I go run.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

jblack - This sport is tricky.  It can definitely get frustrating.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Meat tortas!

STOP IT!  I am hungry!

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jimmy, give him a GPS.

Dad on the run.

I've thought about it, lol. I have 2 410s not being used.

Jimmy, give him a GPS.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Put your feet up Jerry.  Then, do your research.

Last week I was sidestepping lounge chairs, this week it's puddles.  So possibly a torn/bruised lateral meniscus.  Treatment depends on where its torn and how badly.  Can be degenerative (ouch).   I'll have to make a Dr. appointment.  I'm due for my checkup anyway.

Singer who runs a smidge

I'm in a pissy ass mood today. I had a fantastic week, followed by a shitty week, followed by so far another shitty week. My legs feel like death, my shins hurt, my achilles hurt and I just can't seem to get a grasp on what the hell is going on! I've been at this for two years and any time I try to make progress something goes wrong and this guy who has been running less than a year goes out lastnight after not running for about a week and a half and runs a 13.1 at 9:09m/m. However, he does run with a 5s and nike app and I don't trust the phone GPS at all. When I ran with my phone my mileage would vary greatly from one day to the next, for all I know he could have really only ran 11.5 to 12 miles. I'm beyond frustrated and just got on here to rant a little. He will end up beating me in mileage this month but I wonder how many extra miles he gets because of his phones inability to track accurately? I know that makes me sound like a sore loser but when I run with my watch it beeps without fail in the same spots every time I go run.

Comparing yourself to someone else will only get you hugely frustrated and annoyed.  I ran for 3 years, had finished 4-milers, 10ks, trained at least somewhat consistently, etc.  My sister invited me to a 5k in her hometown, and we drove down because we thought it would be fun.  She had run once or twice ... and she was so far ahead of me I never saw her on the course. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What Hope says, Jimmy.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

I keep seeing this ad here on RA ... "Unjury chicken soup flavor protein is a tasty treat!"  Um hello, do you really think people are going to drink something that on first glance is called "Injury chicken soup"?  Talk about poor marketing!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

I catch up on personals when I get to work. Here's a pic from this morning. Bella and me after 7 miles.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Comparing yourself to someone else will only get you hugely frustrated and annoyed.  I ran for 3 years, had finished 4-milers, 10ks, trained at least somewhat consistently, etc.  My sister invited me to a 5k in her hometown, and we drove down because we thought it would be fun.  She had run once or twice ... and she was so far ahead of me I never saw her on the course. 

Ugh, sounds like my BIL.  He is 48 and can drop a 21 minute 5K like it's a leisurely stroll. He was a XC state champ in HS and keeps in shape somewhat, but does nothing that anyone would consider "run training" for at least 15 years. Showed up a few months ago to run a 5K with me in some 10 year old shoes that looked like he fished them out a dumpster and got 2nd in his AG. Not that I'm bitter or anything 

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Hope all the achy colonists feel better soon!

Aw, hi Bella!

Jimmy - Don't let it get to you. It's totally unfair and I'd be bummed out too but that's life. I'm in a similar boat - after almost 2 years I'm practically skipping and dancing about finally being able to string together multiple 20-mile weeks of easy running. When I started out I thought that I'd have done multiple half marathons and a bunch of shorter races by now. We all improve at our own pace, for some of us that pace is slower than others and riddled with aches and injures. Can't change it, just make the best of what you can do.

AFM - 3.25 on the treadmill this morning with 2x1min and 1x2min pickups at low-9 minute pace. Felt great, especially compared to last Tuesday's death march after doing 2 workouts on Monday. I will take any and all progress I can get at this point Smile I was also able to bump my bench press up to 80 pounds yesterday, after several months of fluctuating between 70 and 75, so that was a nice surprise!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hey, Penguins, I was watching the BBC news last night about the Malaysia plane disappearing.  Crazy stuff and so sad.  Then I recalled something...didn't Bin post a while back that he was going on vacation for about a week or so to Malaysia?  I don't know when he was scheduled to go and I sure hope he is now home safe...but has anyone heard from him lately?  I sure hope he was not on THAT plane as part of his trip back from vacation.

That sounds dang painful, Jerry.  Hope that resolves quickly for you!  I hope you don't have a torn meniscus (said the guy who has had 4 knee surgeries, lol).

Hope you can get your walk in today, HsM!

Well, at least you CAN walk, Jack, so that's something.  Good luck with the easy run.  Heck, if you have to for a while, do what I do and do run/walk, if it helps you ease back into it better.

What a beautiful dog, Mitch!  Who's that bearded mutt with her?

Nice workout for you, Lauren!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Actually, I went out right before lunch.