Marathon Trainers

Week of 11/17 (Read 381 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs pointed out something very important. You guys are the most supportive bunch I know! And I should trust that you won't disown me for evil plans. After telling myself for weeks that I knew the Monkey wasn't smart and after weeks of watching people's training go to pot. I decided I couldn't take the regret I was feeling. LOTS and LOTS of regret. So after a long talk with DH earlier this week I decided I should go to the Monkey and walk/run it anyway. SOO I will be leaving friday afternoon to drive 800 miles - BY MYSELF - and arriving sometime saturday, hanging out with RA folks all saturday night. Running Sunday, then driving all 800 miles home either sun/mon or just monday. I know you (Erika especially and Murphy leastly) are cringing knowing that i am not ready. But I would regret missing this experience - i know it's gonna be there this year, but the people might not be and what if I have a baby or am very pregnant or injured or who knows what else. So please be the supportive group I know you are. I KNOW I'm not prepared at all. I KNOW I will hurt the next day... if you guys have any suggestions for how to best survive it I would appriciated. I didn't want to not tell you, but I didn't want to get yelled at either... but I'm a big brave dog... So the thing I am MOST scared about is the fact that I'll be alone - without DH. This is the first time in 3 years I've left him (he's gone away on business, but i've never gone anywhere) AND I've never been alone in the car that long and I'm nervous i can't drive that far!! ok so that's my evil plan...

Bugs

Hmmm, did it feel like 10 minute miles? 9 minute miles? I'd probably toss 3.5 miles on it, or cross training. Not sure. I've thought about doing that this winter since I work in a building that's 50+ stories. How was it? Was it a Nobby suggestion (I know how he loves hills), or did you just have a crazy idea?
      It felt like HARD hill intervals. Hard going up, but then you recover on the way down. I logged it as a hard 3.5 miles, as it felt like running hard uphill. It was his suggestion, ya he is a big believer in building strength in the legs. It was this or bounding, which I have not got the hang of yet. A nice workout, as I did it in a parking ramp staircase that was cool but protected from wind. I could have used a few more stories, but 50 a bit much. They have a race in the cities in January that is 30 stories. I thought about doing it. I wonder when you race if you take two steps at a time too.

Bugs

Bugs

Shan, I wish I was there to drive you. One of your training partners can't come with you? Is there any RAers you could meet-up with along the way, save you some gas?

Bugs

Bugs

What Brian said. I might go as high as 4 miles since its probably that much effort. I would only try and count that as running if I were trying to beat Shan that week though. Otherwise, its crosstraining.
          Nah, I'm logging as running but it has just as much impact and shoe wear and tare as running on a hill.

Bugs

Dave

Shan, I had a feeling it was something like that. Hopefully you've got a GPS (helps with predicting places to stop and that sort of thing) and some good tunes/podcasts loaded up for the trip. You'll be fine for the trip. Are you meeting up with some of the women from the Swamp who are going there to run it? If rational thought intrudes and you decide to maybe run the first half only, you can always volunteer during the second half. I'd also personally appreciate any humiliating videos so it may be worthwhile to buy one of those little video cameras. Pictures can only tell so much of the story. If you do decide to do the whole thing, you should be deliberately walking the hills from the start, almost treating it like an ultra (which it really is). Think about the walk up, jog down approach. I half thought about going there myself just to volunteer but since I'm going to be up helping a buddy at the JFK 50, it wouldn't work out. Keep us posted.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

I have a GPS and LOTS of tunes as I'm taking DH's car because he has cruise control and I don't. AND he doesn't have a radio so he has a HUGE mp3 player wired in so there are lots of songs... LOTS so I should be ok with that. He keeps saying you get into this zone and it should be fine. I hope with cruise control my leg doesn't cramp as bad as when we took my car down... course I have to get an oil change AND put my spare tire in the back seat of his car because the trunk is wired shut because it's broken and he's too frugal to fix it! Smile I plan on walking up all the hills and if for some reason there is a break I also thought I might walk at the mile markers. so run 1mile walk 2-3 minutes until I can't do that anymore - I suspect hills will interfere with this plan. I will definitely have a camera!! But probably not a video cam. I hope not to drop out but if I have to I will definitely help volunteer.
              Kimmie

one other suggestion, shan- Cell phone... I drove 10-11 hours by myself- with my children- down to Georgia and I talked with friends on my phone almost the whole time. It really helped a lot. I really wish I could run the Monkey, so I envy you- just try to have fun with it. I can't imagine this place ever "yelling" at someone- especially you. and it sounds like dave's plan for you is a good one. I have only heard about the hills, so I don't know anything more. I do think that if you walk a little early on and try to stick with some kind of interval like 10:1, that the end should be better for you. Let us know how it goes! And Cash, I started a user group here for personal trainers and since you teach Spin, I feel like this would work for you as well. There are others there that are group fitness instructors. In fact, I'm thinking about changing the name to include both- feel free to check it out.

Oh Mighty Wing

the hills are brutal. I experienced them - Trent made show to show me the worst ones on our run - so kind of him! Smile So I really do know that it will be as hard as he claims! Yeah I really think the interval thing will help! And yes cell phone will be on and working hard LOL unfortunately I don't have a car charger for it... My issue is how to deal with my thirst... I'm always thirsty and tend to drink alot BUT if I drink I have to use the restroom and if i have to stop every hour or 2 to piddle that will be an issue... I'm hoping to go 3-4 without stopping to piddle. I think I'm gonna try: 3pm - 7/8pm - stop for dinner 8pm - 11/12 pm - rent a cheap hotel 6am - 11/12 am- arrive in Nashville in time for packet pick-up at 2pm. And on the way home I may try to drive an hour or two Sunday night and then finish up Monday. But I gues that depends on how quickly the soreness sets in

Dave

For long drives, I do better with podcasts. This American Life is a full hour long. So is Car Talk. Makes the time go by.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

hmm good call...
                        GO SHAN!!!! Im not worried about you running the race. You'll get through it--it WILL hurt--You WILL feel awesome and feel like you want to die at the same time. More worried about the logistics of the drive. And you are not as undertrained as you are letting on. Yuve run every frikin day for over 40 days. That all counts. A bit of advice. Plan to walk/run from the start at whatever pace feels easy. From what I understand the monkey is a very very hard course. Get a hotel for Sunday. Dont even think about driving. You hurt--you will be tired. Try to stay on your feet after the race. Walk around as much as you can bear. Sitting in a car for hundreds of miles IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING the marathon is not wise. Is a flight an option? Ocassionally there are really cheap flights..that may not cost you much more than driving.

Oh Mighty Wing

Muprhy - Thanks!! I am worried about the drive also. I was only planning on driving 100 miles sunday if at all. I will be able to walk around, eat and get showered immediately afterwards. I will probably look into flights but then I'd have to rent a car. I learned from you and Mr I to walk right from the start - walk early walk often. Really the race is the least of my worries... scary! LOL But here is how i'm thinking about it... the first one was bound to hurt anyway - might as well make it hurt bad but be surrounded by people who care about me and who will make me laugh through the pain! My concern is really the driving!! I definitely think I will drive the drive on Monday - hocked up on Tylenol no doubt. Think if I wear compression hose on the drive home it will help with circulation? will that help at all? does it even matter?? I can take the whole day/night to drive Monday but I HAVE to be back to work on Tuesday. So I guess my thought was that if i can drive for 1-2 hours Sunday evening then it's less I have to drive Monday which means the sooner I get home the sooner I can go to bed! I plan on getting home Monday and laying in bed even if I get home at 5pm - I'll just lay there and watch a movie or something! LOL And what does this mean for my streak???

Bugs

Shan, When driving back just stop every 50 miles or so and stretch legs. As far as streak, you will run 1 miles very VERY slowly post marathon. So what's the weather report for the monkey?

Bugs

Dave

And what does this mean for my streak???
                              After this, you might want to focus on starting your next streak Big grin

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

After this, you might want to focus on starting your next streak Big grin
                                oh i was thinking 1 milers at the 17mm pace might help me recover faster! Big grin Have i mentioned I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! I donno why i was soo nervous to tell you! I think I was concerned telling you would make me more nervous LOL but it hasn't YOU ROCK!!!! MTA: partly cloudy 53 -- that's shorts weather baby!!