Masters Running

Wednesday July 27th mid-week mania (Read 686 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Mornin' all,

Shout out to Tom S - you always give us words of encouragement - time to reciprocate.  Even with a lack of energy and tired legs, you went 8 miles.  Great effort!

Timbo - stellar ironman training.  You will rock Wisconsin.

Some nasty T-storms around here (CT) yesterday during the commute home, but there was a rainbow at the end.  Didn't find the pot of gold though. {TMI on}  Instead, I drained a blister on the side of my foot.  {TMI off}   Foot feels much better this morning.

Long-Suffering has a birthday today.  She shares the day with Peggy Fleming, A-Rod, and Triple H.  Quite an assortment of sports celebrities.

Lift, step (just 15 minutes) and spin this morning.  I'll leave work early to make Long-Suffering dinner and a cake (the cookout/party is this weekend.)   Take care everyone.

Jlynne

Will that be a cake made from scratch PBJ?  Happy birthday to Long Suffering.

Nice to see Tim pop in yesterday.

Great pictures of the project Mary. Please keep posting them. It's always neat to see the "before and after" pictures. Those Adirondac (spelling??) chairs are so cool.

4 miles this morning in the dark. I was out before the birds woke up today. Last nice day of weather before the muggies come back. We took Will and Ben to the beach yesterday. What a riot! Will would take a bucket of sand and walk to the water and dump it in, then repeat. I talked to my DIL last night and she said he took a 3-hour nap. We wore that kid right out!

Got offered another part-time job at a bakery not too far from my house. I'm not sure I could stand the temptation......

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Birthday to Long-Suffering!!!   

Nice to see Tim-Bo hanging out with us last night!   How's the back feeling??

Nothing for me today - and of course - the weather was a cool 58° this morning!   Hailey couldn't get upstairs to the bedroom last night, so I ended up on the couch for the night, sleeping on and off.   She is more mobile today and is with me at work, laying right by my feet.  I just have to keep her quiet.  

Happy Hump Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Happy birthday to Long Suffering!

Yesterday I went to a Funeral for a 94 yo member of our Church.  He and his wife were married for 72 years.  They always attended our Contemporary service, where I and the other members of the Praise team play and sing and lead the service.  You don't often think of elderly people enjoying Contemporary music but they did.  He specifically asked the Praise Team to play at his Funeral and To.Play.It.Loud!  So we did!  We tried our best to rattle the stained glass windows!  I'm sure he loved it.

Another 80° and 75% humidity morning.  So my 10.1 mile run was slow and sweaty.  9:26 avg. pace.  I tried to pick it up some near the end, and other than a six or seven 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile pickups, really couldn't manage much else.  Tramps and I are kindred spirits as far as we both do not run well at all in the heat.  But I do persist!

I'm really starting to envy runners like TimBo, Erika, and others who seem to be able to push themselves to the max. and come out the other side enjoying it.   I wish I had that ability, but i don't.  And it is going to continue to be a limiting factor on me ever getting good at this running thing.  But I do persist!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

good morning to the early posters and those to follow.

3.3 miles around the lake this morning at a 9:20 pace.  65° felt really cool when I started.  Discovered that the dew point must have been about 64° when i came back a LOT wetter than I should have for the distance and effort.

Here's a question for all you experts--How do I make chicken salad out of a chicken S%*# training schedule and run a decent 5K in two weeks?  I've been in a training funk for a lot of the time since my half in early April due to a lot of travel and life in general. (this is one of the many reasons I admire what Karin does)   I had hoped that I could continue the half training into a little speed work, but obviously that didn't happen.  Nothing like realizing that the race is only 2 weeks away to focus my attention.  So what magic workouts can I do to try and squeeze a LITTLE speed out of this race?  My best training run in the past month was 9:00.

Any hints and help would be greatly appreciated Blush

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...did not know

PBJ had married Peggy Fleming.

.eta-

ok,

best I got...it's gonna be a Loooong Day....

HappyB'Day to MrsPBJ////

======

20min on slick soccerfields,

kids, cops, mowerguys.........FirstDay of School

may be relocating the Act over to Y trails,

I enjoy an audience, but this is ridiculous.

................good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I'm really starting to envy runners like TimBo, Erika, and others who seem to be able to push themselves to the max. and come out the other side enjoying it.   I wish I had that ability, but i don't.  And it is going to continue to be a limiting factor on me ever getting good at this running thing.  But I do persist!

Bill

Ahem - evidentallly you don't realize that you are ALREADY a good runner Byll .... I for one think you are great at it!!

Good luck Stump, as a self-proclaimed slacker, I cannot help you.

JLynne - a bakery?    Yikes!!  Wink

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mike E

MM #5615

In high school I had a girl friend who worked at a bakery...I liked her buns...

Great job to BHyll and the Praise Team!  I'm sure it was appreciated!

Mariposai

No advice here stumpy, but on the day of the race just run as if a bull was chasing you, that will take you to the finish line very, very fast Wink.

Happy Birthday to the Long Suffering!!!!

Yoga. Then I took the content of our pantry out (for remodeling) listening to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPni0xeJNO4

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Jlynne

I'm really starting to envy runners like TimBo, Erika, and others who seem to be able to push themselves to the max. and come out the other side enjoying it.   I wish I had that ability, but i don't. 

I'm not trying to be obnoxious here Bill, but don't you think age might have something to do with it?  You've probably got around 10 years on most of the folks you mentioned. You are running so well - and I'd like to see where some of the younger folks are at speed-wise when they get to the late 50's, early 60's.  I'm not anywhere NEAR the runner you are but I can tell that training has become more difficult these last few years, and I've definitely slowed down. Sad

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike E – adorable granddaughters!

Byll – I’m sort of with you on that – my push-through-it ability has been on the decline lately, but, if you haven’t noticed, you are still WAY faster than I am….

Jlynne – what’s my excuse, then?  Undecided

Stumpy – you could always set your hair on fire…Wink

DH had me set the alarm for 4:30 (instead of the usual 5am) so he could go in to work early, so I decided to take advantage and run a few extra miles.  Tomorrow he (we) needs to get up early, too.  By Friday I’ll just be waking up at that time without the alarm… Roll eyes

11 miles for me this morning in 69° and 96% (which felt almost cool), including 6 x 800m/ 200m rec., along with two 1/2-mile hill repeats  at the end.  Paces for the intervals ranged from 7:50 to 8:18.  Since I can’t read my garmin in the dark, I generally have no idea how fast I’m doing these intervals until I get home and download it., so it’s hard for me to be consistent, but it was still a good workout. 

Happily, my hamstring issues seem to be fading, although I'm still keeping and eye on them. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jlynne – what’s my excuse, then?  Undecided

Dear Holly - you are the reason the rest of us need excuses!

Stumps -  Since I don't like to train, I have to make up racing strategies along the way. Two that almost always help me pass other runners are (1) concentrating on powerful, straight back-and-forth arm thrusts to the side (not letting hands cross in front of torso) and, as works on the bike in triathlons too, (2) taking advantage of a little extra power from the ankles by pushing off hard from the metatarsals/toes utilizing the foot, ankle and calf muscles instead of just lifting the leg forward with the quads and existing momentum of the run.  There's more than a dozen muscles in the foot.  Use 'em!   Engaging the ankles for a final downward thrust and initial upward pull while cycling will strengthen ankles for running too. Arms and ankles'll get real tired but it's only for 5K.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Stumpy – you could always set your hair on fire…Wink

That might work, but only for about a 100 yards or so Joking

Thanks, Tet--I'll try that once my hair fizzles out.

Or maybe I'll try imagining being chased by a bull on fire.

Many options to choose from.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I had to laugh this morning when the TV newscaster told us that today is "Take Your Houseplant for a Walk Day".

Happy birthday to Long Suffering.

Nice long runs for bike (and good to hear from you), breger, and holly (with speedwork).

This morning, it was pleasant, in the mid to high 50s and calm.  I got in 5 miles in just over 52 minutes for a 10:25 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nice to see Tim-Bo hanging out with us last night!   How's the back feeling??

Happy Hump Day!

Ummmm, hate to say it........but, it still hurts badly. I talked to my Friend Doctor a few weeks ago, and he said injections is the only thing that will help (I've had all the tests and diagnoses done already). My (stoopid) health Insurance won't cover that, and it's real pricey having that of kinda injections done. I would need 2 sets - one for my lumbar / facet area ( or Facet Joint Rhizotomy Surgery) , and one for the sciatica nerve. I know this is not good, but I hurt in my lower back - feels like a mule kicked me on the right side of my butt - and I feel the nerve pain clear down to my right outer calve. Cycling hurts it more than anything when I'm really pushing hard, but at least it doesn't really hurt much while running, swimming it's pretty much ok. But when I wake up in the mornings, I can hardly move - even tie my shoes. I tried taking some time off, which actually only made it worse. I was telling one of my employees this morning that I have to have something done, but I feel stuck.....and it's not going to just go away. I've kinda gotten use to it, but when it really hurts, it's almost debilitating

Mike E.......yikes, I didn't realize you have had problems like that for so long. Hope you find a solution, that will keep your speedy self running !

Speaking of my back pain, and the pain meds I was taking.............PLEASE DON'T DO what I'm about to say !

About 2 months ago I raced a long Triathlon and I really pushed for a good race time - all out....and ran long afterwords. My back was killing me later in the day, so I took a 1000 mg hydrocodone pill. I got pulled over while driving because of suspicion of drinking and driving - wasn't. Embarrassing I took a Field sobriety test and passed, but.................before that I got patted down for the officers safety - fine. Well, this is where the story goes real bad. I had a few hydrocodone pills in a small Tylenol bottle, because I don't like to carry the big bottle with me...I had NO IDEA that this was wrong, and against the law. The officer said you know that this is a class D felony right - I said no. There was a half in the small bottle, and he asked if I was selling......I said good grief, NO.

I actually got handcuffed and taken to jail for carrying a narcotic in a different bottle, and possibly selling drugs. WOW I thought....I've never been in trouble before. So once at jail they asked if I had someone to call and bond me out  -  I said yes ($500.00 dollars) They said I could use their phone to call, then I asked for my cell phone to get a number or two...they said no. Well, I don't know about you all, but I have ALL my numbers in my cell phone saved by name, I don't even try and memorize numbers. I sat and sat and sat, and tried to remember just one phone number - couldn't. Then the bail bondsman came to the jail and asked if I had $500.00 to bond out, I said yes. He then asked for my credit card information..........I said it's with my wallet and the jail took it. He said you don't know your credit card number, I said no... who knows that ?  

My ex wife sure did  Big grin

I started to freak out a little bit, then I actually got transfered to a freaking jail block.......whoa, wait a minute here. As soon as I was in my cell, the other inmates asked what I was in for...they all laughed (yeah, real funny, but kept my mouth shout - that's scary for a little dude like me) One day passed and I wondering what to do, as I kept trying to remember just one silly phone number. Then it hit me...I finally remembered my brothers home phone number. You have to call collect in there, and I called, but my SIL and brother wouldn't accept the call. You all know how I kinda goof around and joke a lot...well, they thought I was pranking them (trying being funny has it's draw backs sometimes Roll eyes

Day one passed - stuck

Day two passed - stuck

Day three, I REALLY started to worry.....how long will I be in here? I started thinking about my rent being due soon - sooner or later bills due - my car was impounded, so that was adding up quickly. I wondered about my work, and what my employees were thinking....and thought about losing my job for plain not being there.....was getting over the top anxious. I'm a pretty high strung person, and laying around and doing absolutely NOTHING was driving me batty / literally nuts. I was thinking I CANNOT spend one more minute in this place - can't !!!

Day 4 - still stuck. Tried calling my brother again, to no avail. I was not able to run which was another source of anxiety...the inmates said I looked like a runner dude. They all commented too........dude, you just don't belong here (Ya think, I thought)

Day 5 -  (Wednesday) A jail officer came to my cell block and said there was a bail bondsman there to see me. I went into a small room - handcuffed - and talked with the guy. He said someone was bonding me out, and he needed signatures and such. I asked who, and he said an employee of mine who was super worried about me. I was bonded out and released.......and freedom NEVER FELT SO GOOD. (LONG RUN THAT NIGHT)

My employee took me to to get my car out of impound - which was free because I knew the owner of the towing company Smile My employee told me everyone was worried because it was like I fell off the face of the earth....I'm sure it did. I was texting some gals friends of mine right before this happened...then nothing all of a sudden.  My employee and his GF searched hospitals - clinics - (gulp) obituaries - everywhere they could think of. Then he thought........jail ???? Sure enough there I was.

That my friends was like the worse nightmare EVER. I went to my attorney the day after and explained the whole situation and he said.........REALLY??? He made a copy of my prescription bottle and he took it personally to the prosecuter.....the charges were dropped!

Sooooooooooo - DON'T DO THAT. I really hope this may help someone else, if they don't know already.

You can imagine how bad my brothers felt.....I had a few choice words Smile

LOL....this was like writing a RR

Well then, 5 easy miles this morning, as I'm working on running twice a day now...since I'm cycling also for Triathlons.

Smile

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!