Masters Running

Thursday runs (Read 522 times)

Dave59

We had a pretty simple open house for my oldest.  It was nice because friends of Cindy and mine came over and we sat around and talked all afternoon.

Youngest daughter didn't want an open house.  That was easy.

My kids weren't involved in sports or band so they had fewer friends to invite.  Don't know what the parents of popular kids do.

Graduations and Proms - It amazes me what parents are willing do (aka how much money they are willing to spend) so their kids aren't "one upped" by someone else.  Thankfully, I know normal people. Wink

My brother's youngest child is graduating this year.  Her mom is a broom-riding $itch from hell (and I'm not the only one who thinks so).  Unfortunately,  my niece is turning out just like her.  Because of that, my brother has struggled with his relationship with his daughter.  She won't return his phone calls, emails, text messages, anything.  When he would drive the 6.5 hours one-way to see her once a month (letting her know ahead of time he was coming), she would barely give him the time of day.  The only time she would contact him was when she wanted money (he's broke, her mother and grandparents are very comfortable).  The kicker to all this - They didn't send him her graduation announcement.  Sent one to her half-sister and half-brother (my brother's two oldest), but not to her own dad.  He's showing up anyway and taking pictures so that in the future, when she tries to throw in his face he didn't even go to her graduation, he can produce proof.  My heart aches for him.

Holly - Kick butt at that 50k, girl!!!  (Next, a 50-miler.  Next, a 100k.  Next, a 100-miler . . . )

Karin and Stumpy - I was thinking of you guys when I heard about the tornado.  Unbelievable.  So happy you and yours are all safe and sound. 

Wish I could be Newport with you all, especially since it's not that far away (wait, I just looked it up.  7.5 hrs one way Blush ).  I still wish I could be there with you all.  Have fun!

Forced myself outta bed this a.m. (okay, Ziggy forced me out of bed to feed the gang) for 45 mins of cycling whilst watching "When Harry Met Sally."  Love that movie.  And that's about tall the excitement for the morning!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

pfriese

No run today.

When I went for a run yesterday morning, about 1/2 mile into it, I got tangled up in some baling wire and fell. Went all the way down. Only injury, I thought, was having sprained my thumb while bracing myself on the fall. Dusted off and finished my planned 8 miles. By the time I got to work, thumb was swollen, so I iced it all day long. That evening when DW got in, she was convinced I had broken it. I went to the doctor this morning for x-rays, she was correct. Sad They'll cast it when we get back from Seattle on Tuesday.

Speaking of Seattle, we're going up for eldest grandson's Bar Mitzvah. It should be great fun and who knows, maybe I can still sneak in a run or two while up there.

Paul

Tramps

a bunch of the kids getting together in the ravine with a few cases of beer. 
          Guess we are all tightwads, unswayed by commercial propaganda.

Good times.

And another reason I love Canajuns.

Be safe. Be kind.

Enke, we somehow escaped the whole graduation party thing.  We did go to a neighbor's party.  I hear that in some places in the U.S., it's a bigger deal than in others.  Every day is Open House at our house anyway.

Paul, that's the closest to a running injury you've come.  Sorry to hear that.

Had a good lunch run.  I was wearing my Super 8 shirt from the Super Summer 8k race, so of course it's got the Superman logo but with an 8, when lo and behold a pickup truck goes speeding down the street where I'm running.  He turns left and almost jumps the curb.  Soon a motorcycle cop comes but bad guy is out of sight so I point left, helping keeping the world safe.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

pfriese

Paul, that's the closest to a running injury you've come.  Sorry to hear that.

As choovie said over on FB, "A broken thumb isn't your normal running injury."

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting discussion about graduation parties.  We didn't have one for DD last year because we live in the middle of nowhere, and she graduated from a high school down in Golden, 25 miles away, so no one would have come.  She went to several friends' parties and seemed happy enough with that.

We sent graduation announcements with a copy of her (expensive) senior picture.  These resulted in several relatives sending money. Smile  I guess that's the point of sending them?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Had a good lunch run.  I was wearing my Super 8 shirt from the Super Summer 8k race, so of course it's got the Superman logo but with an 8, when lo and behold a pickup truck goes speeding down the street where I'm running.  He turns left and almost jumps the curb.  Soon a motorcycle cop comes but bad guy is out of sight so I point left, helping keeping the world safe.

Big grin

{{{Paul's Thumb!}}}

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

lamerunner

Greetings! They changed the air  and it is lovely! Cool and breezy, IRC... I finally got out and ran, about 4 miles. Legs feel better for it. I recommend that you do NOT bike the day after a 50k. Your quads will whine.. or at least mine did. But then Holly runs double digits the day after so who knows??

Interesting about the graduation parties. My DD graduates from High School  June 11. Several of her friends are having parties or Open house type things. She did not seem to want anything here; she thinks there are too many out there already.  We will have a small family gathering probably. I agree it all gets over the top. My DSS and DSD had dinners which were like wedding receptions.. but then the "prior administration" is a bit of a showboat.  We were always invited and treated graciously though.

Prom tomorrow. I got a funny text from DD asking if I would "sponsor " her to get her nails done. This is a rock climber, so we are talking  a paid nail polish job. I should have extracted some advertising space.  She has a lovely dress and accessories we bought last night but no real date. She had one, but he got grounded. Kind of funny. She conciously avoided having a boyfriend this year; wants to get out of Dodge with no strings I guess.  The good news is kids now go in groups to the prom and have more fun than we ever did.

TammyinGP

The weather changed here this afternoon. The sun actually made an appearance and unless I was hallucinating, I think I even felt a bit of this warmth like sensation on my arms. I ran 4.6 miles (42:00) and I even got a little sweaty! wow!   I better savor this moment.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Fun 7.2 mile mountain  trail run after work. It was hot in town, pushing 90°, but it was 70° when I got to the trail head and much cooler when I finished, since the sun had gone down behind the divide.  Very steep and technical trails, which explains why my average pace was like 13:38. Total elevation gain/loss was 2475 ft.  Here's the elevation profile:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SuWEET!!!!!  Nice run, Carolyn!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I got a bunch of baking to do, treats for my DD's class tomorrow since it is her birthday on Saturday.  She has really come a long way since the beginning of the school year when I was thinking of taking her for therapy.  I think it is entirely to do with her making a good friend.

This is good to hear.  I was wondering how she was doing.   Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

This year's Northampton High school prom was interrupted by tornadoes. Dr J's daughter had just arrived with her group of friends when they sent everyone home. The PTO will sponsor a free dance party after graduation. Memorable! Lots of folks do the open house style party. Not sure the kiddo will even want that and that's fine by us. Mr.CNYrunner and I answered phones at aRed Cross phone bank yesterday afternoon. They were turning volunteers away after awhile. After the volunteer stint I went to group track practice---barefoot form drills , 600 meter repeats (shod) hills and good fun. Ages 66 to 20 and all grateful to be there. The air had definitely changed and we may even see frost on Saturday morning. Dishwasher closed for now! Wow Carolyn!
                              HermosaBoy

12.2 miles last night.  First 4 solo and then the last 8.2 with KeeMan and his teammate who is going for the Olympic Trials time at Chicago this fall.  Fun conversation...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob