Masters Running

Friday, it's Friday (Read 517 times)

Dave59

5.3 miles for me on a sunny, brisk March morning. 

(Yeah, I know the calendar says April 29.)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

any crate trainers have tips for me?

Ear plugs and patience.    Number one tip is to never let them out when they are making a fuss, that teaches them the opposite of what you want.    When they are quiet and sleeping, get them up and take them outside with lots of praise.   

I haven't had a whole nights sleep since Saturday night Tammy.    Running on auto pilot - but it's all good.  Smile

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Did not feel up for a run so did a hike instead - about 3.7miles.  Saw some trilliums.  The ones I planted in the backyard last year got killed by some doofus who threw patio stones on them.  I might go buy some more.

Oh yeah, a wedding, I need to check that out.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

I snuck home during lunch and ran 10.2 miles in 1:09:47.  It was 56 degrees--sunny--and about a 14 mph wind--it was just perfect!

Have I ever told you guys how much I love to run?  And I love my 10 miler (10.22, actually) the most.  It's nothing special--just an out and back course, laid out so I always make turns at any intersection where I might have to stop for traffic had I been going straight.  In fact all of my runs are on this same course, I just turn around at different spots, depending on how far I'm going.  If I'm doing 20 miles, I do my 10 miler twice--if I'm doing 22 miles--I do my 8 miler twice and my 6 miler once--and so on.  So, over the last 18 years, I have been up and down this road a whole lot of times.  I'm sure most people would get pretty bored running the same dang route all the time, but I love it!

One of the few things that I love more than running, though, is watching my son run.  He's running the 5K at 9:30, tonight, down at Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa.  It's a 4 1/2 hour drive--one way--for me and I'm trying to decide if I should go.  It wouldn't even be an issue, but I have to be back for a "final dress rehearsal/choir practice" at our church, tomorrow at 9:30 am.  (My grandaughters' soccer team--which I help coach--is also in the championship game at 10:00--but I've already decided to miss that.  They're in good hands with my daughter, anyway)  That's one of the reasons I went home at lunch to get my run done.  Boy...decisions, decisions...   

I have no idea why I went through all of that with you guys...I think I was going to make a point about something but my thoughts got side-tracked...hmm...oh well...sorry to take up so much of your time with my nonesense...

HermosaBoy

You know what I would do Mike...

Cam and I drove down to ISU right after the Securian race in January to watch Kyle run a 3k.  Got there 1/2 hour before the race, spent 10 minutes watching the race (he was done in closer to 9)  and then got back in the car and drove home.

You can be sleepy at the choir practice.  Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marathon Maniac #957

...sorry to take up so much of your time with my nonesense...

Good gracious - what do you think we're here for?  Our lives are made up of just such nonsense....talk away, we don't mind....Smile

9 hour round trip?  You are a great dad......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mike E... nice post!  You need your own helicopter!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

lamerunner

Greetings. Back in NH after our whirlwhind tour. At least it has been a warm day. 6.5 miles this morning, not that energetic, but I think it is the traveling and ridiculous amounts of  urban walking the last few days.  We had fun in San Fransisco too; DD really liked USF, which we toured Tuesday afternoon.

I ran 9 miles or so Wenesday morning from up on a hill down to the water and along the Marina Green trail to the golden gate bridge, then we walked on the trails at Muir Woods later in the morning and saw the redwooods, then walked all over the city in the afternoon. Hours and hours of walking an d sightseeing!    My DH's cousin lives there so we had a place to stay and a tour guide.

We have to decide in the next day basically; deposits are due May 1. Yikes.

Nice running to everyone, and continued hugs to Leslie and Shorty.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Good Luck to all the races this weekend!

04/30 fatozzig - Leona Divide 50-Mile Endurance Run, Lake Hughes, CA

04/30 Sarge - Kentucky Derby Mini, Louisville KY

04/30 BlazinCajun - Glory Run 5K, Augusta, GA

04/30 bobev - Texas roundup 5K, Austin, TX - probably run BF

04/30 OrangeMat - Clinton Township Country Run 15k

04/30 Hemerocallus - 5 Peaks Albion Hills half marathon

05/01 pfriese - OKC Memorial Marathon Relay, Oklahoma City OK

05/01 Ileneforward - OC half marathon, NB CA

05/01 Mariposai - Bloomsday 12k, Spokane WA

05/01 Daddyo - 10K,  Toronto

This morning I ran 7 miles with miles 5 and 6 at tempo pace:  8:13 and 7:52.  Better.  Approve

I wanna Puppy ... Cry

Bill

I won't be running a race this weekend. Will be at DD2's watching the twins until late evening. Will miss an opportunity to line up with 15+ other BF runners in a race...

Got in 4.5mi in 1:03 this morning. Ran with a Galloway group that does 3/1 run/walk,a bit faster than I can keep up with them. I am ok with that but was able to stay close for almost a mile. Most of them were going 10mi this morning and I didn't want to go over 5 anyway. Still had a good time chatting with folks before the run. My "more natural" form seems to be quieter and easier on the bod. Not quite a habit yet. Have to keep podcasts low so I can hear foot strike and change when it gets louder. The running place suggestion to get the right feel of ball foot strike I got at Wed mights BF group track run seems to be working for me so far. At least from a quieter running viewpoint. Now to see how it works over the long term.

MTA: We've used an old wind up clock wrapped in a blanket in the crate in the past. But that was with one puppie. Wasn't as much of a problem when we had an older dog that we could crate with the new one.

bob e v
                    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

...MikeE//.......we Love Running too, so we get it.

now,

about that QuiltingThing.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MikeE - I can be the Queen of Rambling.  Sometimes we just need to get it out - good, bad, or indifferent.  So let the fingers fly, my friend.  We're all ears eyes  - well, you know what I mean.

The lunch party was good, the cake was delicioso!  Then my sweet buddy, Denise, was my grocery cart pushing lachy.  What a sweetie!  Twocat, I looked at Safeway on line, and it looks like they have delivery.  If I'm not off these crutches on Tuesday, I may look into that, depending on the cost.  It's extreme penny pinching time around here right now. Roll eyes

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

Mike E,

I certainly understand always doing more or less the same course.  99% of my runs start in Myrtal Edwards park in Seattle,  one block from my Condo.  The park is only about 2 miles long, but I can continue on paved trails for another 2 miles to a big marina,  or go straight on lightly traveled roads with nice sidewalks to a nice park 3 miles past the end of the park, or run over the ship locks and continue on paved trails to another nice park 8 miles from my home.  about the only time I do something different is either when I run with a neighbor who has different routes, or when I go for 20 milers.

Dave

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I have a 5k to run tomorrow and a 12k on Sunday.

Nancy - there couldn't be a better inaugural family run than with the 40,000 revelers at Sunday's Bloomsday. 

It's pretty gutsy taking on 12K when you're doing a 5K on Saturday too. 

Howewer, it doesn't count unless you tell ilene, you know.

ps dave - is that the waterfront run with all the shipping going on in front of your eyes, views of Mt. Rainier to the south on the way back, parasails being pulled around in the summer, to say nothing of a host of seafood/oyster restaurants?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Claire Visits Rock!!

Sometimes you gotta hike Enke. Our wild leeks are coming up and the mushrooms are due any time.

When I have goal races Mike, I love my pre-measured routes.

I love Denise!

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

So, I had pretty much decided that I was going to drive down to Iowa to watch my son's track meet.  But, when I called home to tell my DW, she informed me that one of our grandkids had it in his head that we had made plans to take him bowling.  So, I went bowling, instead.  I had to wait all night to find out how my son did and all I got was a text message from his girlfriend, "...the same as last meet."   I guess his phone wasn't working.  So, this morning I had to look up his results and found that he placed 9th in the 5000 meter run in 15:28.53.  Of course, he's dissapointed but, man, I wish could run that fast.