Masters Running

Wednes Day, 5.13.15 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Busy day yesterday: Bacon, digging, working (too much at times) and even some running/swimming/biking and hiking! And Deeze, with her new doo, is cute as a button!

I'm following Evanflein; I have too much to do today, and not nearly enough time. We got our conference cartons packed and shipped yesterday, so today will just be a different kind of insanity.

5.6 RW miles at j o'clock this morning. I only stopped to take this shot of the predawn light creeping over the horizon. I'm finally starting to get a little daylight on my workouts, which is a real treat.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

evanflein I always figure it is better to be too busy at work than not busy enough.  Plus it gives you something to do between runs!

coastwalker how come everybody has better pictures to post from their runs than I do?  

Down to the gym for an hour on the elliptical this morning.  With just under two weeks before my marathon I am in the no gym work part of tapering.  You have to love a sport where not working out is part of getting in shape!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Where I'm at now, so far half of the sales staff have approached me to explain my primary responsibilities. Not one of them have told me the same thing. I was working in the rain most of the day and didn't motivate out the door after.

Good to know that everyone is on the same page.  But now you can go to management and tell them that you have so many new responsibilities, you need more money.

A one hour 10K for two lake laps this morning.  I start late enough that the sun is now up for the majority of my run.  After downloading yesterday's run last night, I found that I had negative mile splits the whole 5 miles.  That was pleasant to see.  Don't think I'll see that today.

Yeah, if I had to choose, I think I'd probably pick Carolyn's views and not TC's, too.  eta Jay's win, too.  Morning, Matt.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning Jay, Twocat,Kevin and all to follow. Gotta agree on how jobs cut into our time to do fun things. And I don't even work full time any more. I always figured I'd be retired by age 62 but there's this thing called "health insurance" that I need to pay for....

Awesome picture this morning Jay. And Carolyn? Wow! I'd be worried about sliding off some of those trails and ending up at sea level. You are one tough cookie!

Love the new haircut Deez. You look beautiful.

Good luck with your race Posie.

Hey Mike! I sent you a message last week. Do you still want me to pick up the packets for your entourage when I work the expo on Friday? The forecast doesn't look so hot (and I'm blaming this on Slo for not running this year). Low of 60 with rain and thunderstorms. I know it's too early to predict, but all of the weather people have been pretty consistent with what they think conditions will be like. Not sure how to dress. When you train for 5 months in temps around 20-40° it's hard. And then factor in the rain part of it.

Last "longer" run before the half on Sunday. 5 miles in beautiful clear skies, no wind and 39°. Wish it would be just like this for the Cellcom

Dave59

jlynne - It could be worse. If I was coming to Green Bay, it would be 90 & humid and the race would run out of ambulances.

Hey!  I had eggs and bacon yesterday for breakfast like I do 50% of my mornings.  I just decided to bake the bacon since I hear so much about that.  I usually just microwave a couple slices.  I'm not some bacon obsessed person or anything.  Today I had buttermilk Eggo waffles.

One of those days where I don't feel like running, or working for that matter.  (Although I will work most the day.)  I plan to cut the grass sometime today.  First time in about 6 months for that.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good am!

Oh, Jay, you inspire me to take photos some morn.  Very lovely.

Erika, you hardly ever complain.  Call in sick; I know, you probably feel as if you can't, but that's precisely when you really really must.  They will get along without you and you just go do fun things for yourself all day.  I bet you get lots of permission from folks here, right?  C'MON people!

marj, so interesting!  I had no idea that sort of thing was going on, and at 3 sites.  Are you at Latin?  I want to do that!

Kevin, I was going to quote Steve's description of his job as well.  Too funny.  --Erika, wonder if you asked various groups/people at the U about your job responsibilities, if you'd find something similar?  [I believe most job descriptions are impossible in that one person usually cannot do all the items listed and so we tend to focus on what we can, while the critics will then pick out those items we're not so expert at completing.]

And nice 10K this am, along with negative splits earlier.  Are we going for a rematch Somerville 2016?

Deez, very sharp.

Great photos from WC and then TC's "compare and contrast."

Wait--Karin said the marathon I'm doing is tough (well, the website said that, and she sort of confirmed it) so I amped up my running.  Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

First Tuesday night speedwork with Speedsters in many months.  We did (warmsups and cooldowns, of course) 600 fast, 200 slow x6--felt good (well, not at the time, but you know) to be back at it.  So much better to do with folks.  I would just wimp out, take breaks, not go fast if left to my onesies to do that drill.   So seven and half easy this am.

And I'm out......grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good to know that everyone is on the same page.  But now you can go to management and tell them that you have so many new responsibilities, you need more money.

Erika - I like Amy's idea.

Jay - lovely!

Twocat - is that really where you run every day?

Re: Charlevoix Marathon weekend.  For those who are interested in staying in the house I have reserved, please read my message in the Charlevoix thread.

I decided on fartlek-intervals this morning, which means they were all roughly the same (unmeasured) distance of approximately 300-400 meters in length and I threw them in whenever I felt like it.  One of those runs where I pretty much felt wonderful the entire time, and afterward, too.  In fact, I just feel pretty happy today, for no apparent reason.  Must be hormones or something.  

5 miles for me today in 46 degrees with 7 x 300-400m intervals ranging in pace from 8:05 to 7:38 with random recoveries in between.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Yes, amusing at it sounds, there is a serious side to the Steve P comments in that it suggests a casual sitdown with the manager to clarify any misconceptions about the job responsibilities.  Nod and smile at the sales guys and say "thank you; I'll check that out with (name of manager)."

4 slow recovery miles this morning, meaning about a 10:45 pace.  With two-tenths of a mile to go I got what felt like a charley horse in my upper right hip muscle.  Stretch it some at the Y and assume it will be fine tomorrow.  May be a short week for me after missing Sunday.  Spareribs

Bacon?  Coat it in either maple syrup or brown sugar, then bake it.  OH FRIGGING MY!! 

I am totally and completely out of the loop here.  Between working at work 6 days a week the last two weeks, working at home, and helping The Hub with his work on the weekends, then catching up on stuff that needs to be done to our own abode, neither The Hub nor I have had much down time, and I don't see it getting any better any time soon.  Things here at work are keeping me busier 'n a one-armed paperhanger as our dept secretary has started her various medical treatments with regard to her cancer and the other PT paralegal is out this week on vacation.  My office looks like a storm hit it.  Oh well!

I did, however, started running on a regular schedule last week.  Nothing big.  I think I did a whole 12 miles.  This week it'll be about 15-17.  My hamstrings don't hurt, but feel more on the sore side after a run, so we'll see how it goes.  I agreed to be the sweep for a tough 30k trail run on June 6.  Hopefully I'm up to snuff!  Thankfully, I can't go any faster than the slowest person and unbelievably enough, that wasn't me last year.

Have a great rest of your week ~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Carolyn, you are just freaking amazing!

Really nice photo, Denise -- you are quite the knockout.

Nice sunrise photo, Jay, That's my favorite time of day whether running, biking, or even just driving.

Marj, I really enjoyed your write-up, as I dig that kind of stuff (pun intended). The coolest thing in these parts was when they were digging a new roadbed close by and turned up a mastodon! But usually it's things around town like old interurban railway tracks and such, or an occasional Indian burial.

Well, two things to never do in Michigan before Memorial Day: (a) Plant your annuals outside, and (b) pack away your cold-weather running gear. After flirting with record highs a couple days ago, this morning we were back in the low 40s and with a stiff breeze blowing I was once again in tights, long sleeves, and gloves. 4+ miles at a decent pace with only a couple of breaks and some minor pain from my hip area. I'm thinking that the recent changes in my medications might be affecting my running as well, but it's something I'll just have to get used to considering the alternatives.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Erika - I like Amy's idea.

me too and, having been up there too, I know erika's feeling. .

However, as long as everyone keeps running when it fits in to stay healthy and in shape, you'll all have many years of running ahead whenever you want and doing whatever you want, even if it's some more of the same or different working that satisfies you too.  If you ever get down-and-out and wonder if it is worth it, just read any one of marj and henry's posts. It is.

ps deez - since I’ve had lots of experience being one myself, I’ve been pretty successful over the years in talking regular runners, who aren’t that good either, into extending their running horizons into marathon distances but, for some reason, I’ve completely failed to imbue anyone with my love of the benefits and fun of x-training in triathlons, . . . even though most runners could, at least, sie-stroke the quarter of a mile in the super-sprint triathlons in 15-or-20 minutes with me (vs 4-6 minutes of proficient swimmers) and then using natural leg strength to start catching up on the ~12 mile cycle leg until passing hordes of runners on the run leg. 
                        That’s because I didn’t have a fantastic picture of a triathlon goddess to show them.

thanks and have fun in all your tri’s this year.

How many in the Max series and others you’ll be doing this year?

My PR was five in 2005 of all distances from supersprint (0.25/12/3.1) to IM (2.4/112/26.2).

Those were the days.  They may never come again but they can't stop me from reliving them

through your and others'  posts. Thnax.

Nice haircut, Denise!  You are a lovely lady!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm going to sneak in with a random picture of our new grand-dog, Miss Harper.

Carry on.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

"Hey Mike! I sent you a message last week. Do you still want me to pick up the packets for your entourage when I work the expo on Friday?"

Yes, absolutely!  I just sent a reply...sorry it took so long.

C-R

Hey All.

Busy place in here.

We struggle with some role issues at work too and what makes it more fun is that we are all remote and deal with the same big customer. On the flip side, my very first boss said this and it has stuck for many a year, "Son, we give you three weeks of vacation per year but if we can afford to let you take two weeks in a row we really don't need you." Welcome to the working world and how do I get to stay in college forever.

Good for you Leslie.

Nice 7 at lunch under wonderful skies.

Back at it. The business trips are starting to pile up.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

. . . my very first boss said this and it has stuck for many a year, "Son, we give you three weeks of vacation per year but if we can afford to let you take two weeks in a row we really don't need you."

Hmmm . . . when I approached my boss a couple of months ago about taking a 3-week, once in a lifetime trip later this year or next year, he didn't really hesitate much except to say I needed to ensure there would be coverage.  Hmmmm . . .

Miss Harper is adorable!  *sigh* I'd have a dog if I didn't have Shorty. He's an "I like dogs so long as they belong to someone else" kind of person.  Doesn't dislike them, but doesn't want one either.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance