Masters Running

Tuesday, May 3 New Beginnings Runs (Read 395 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, about the job.  I happened across the job posting (paralegal) the week before last, but it had been posted almost 3 weeks earlier. The attorney is known as being an expert in his field of law, and sends out monthly newsletters that I always enjoy – he manages to take a relatively dry subject and breathe life into it.  Anyway, I was intrigued, and sent him an e-mail with a copy of my resume, explaining that I had seen his posting, that I realized it had likely been filled at that late date, but hoped he might consider me for some future opportunity with his firm. He responded to say that he had one finalist, but hadn’t yet made the choice to hire, and wanted to meet with me.

And then I looked it up on a map and went, oh crap, that’s a nasty commute (double my current drive, and right through downtown Dayton and way north). But the side route really isn’t bad, going a little farther west gets me a quiet ride through the cornfields, about 35 minutes. Not ideal, but not stressful like the rush-hour traffic on the freeway.

I had a two-hour interview with the attorney last week. I went in thinking I was wasting my time and his. I came out scarily excited.  The firm is small, but growing fast, cutting edge technology all around – I love that! And I really like the attorney. He loves his work, and his passion for it is infectious. I think he would be a great guy to work for, someone who inspires you to give your best.

He had me complete a Kolbe Assessment, then I did a second interview with his wife (a very successful businesswoman in her own right – I really liked her, too), and HR called me yesterday afternoon and made an offer.  I start on the 20th. 

I’m scared but excited.  This is a different area of law than I am accustomed to, and could be a wonderful opportunity for me to grow and challenge myself in new ways.  He even spoke of eventually having me give presentations to groups and at seminars.  (gulp)  I hope I’m up to it….

Now to tell my current boss…..

5.5 easy-paced miles on the TM.  Legs still fee tired, but the constant rain could just be sapping my running mojo a bit.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

That is a Great opportunity Holly!  I am thrilled for you.  I think you're going to really sprout some wings (sorry Nancy!) and show some really talent and abilities you didn't know you had, now that you will be in a job that excites and interests you.  All the Best!

8 easy-paced (9:33) miles.  I just wanted to get some miles in and save the energy for what is sure to be a hard workout tomorrow - 10 or 11 miles with 6 hill repeats.  Eek.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Very exciting Holly!    You will definitely thrive in that atmosphere.

I am sick .... have a code and feel like carp.    Sad

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

HermosaBoy

VERY exciting Holly -- congratulations!!!

It was a beautiful morning here in Minnesota and I slept in.  Felt good...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Top 'O the World!

That is soo Awesome Holly!!!  ~ it's that last part (telling current boss) that always kicks my butt!

{{{Mary}}}

It was a beautiful morning in Minnesota....I slept in too...in CO Wink

Activity to follow cofffee/internet time

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Tramps

Been busy and haven't had a chance to post but I needed to drop by to say:

CONGRATULATIONS, HOLLY!

I'm very happy for you and wish you the best in this new adventure.  Have fun!

Be safe. Be kind.

Holly S. great news!  Congratulations!  FWIW, my car commute is about 45 minutes in and about an hour back.  It is true I do not have to do it every day so that helps a lot.  But you get used to it.  If you do not have a way to get commercial free music on your car radio now is the time to find a way!

divechief higher pay for some life interfering obstacle is, well, I guess pretty normal.  I guess living on a ship for months on end sounds a lot more exciting when you are 10 then when you grow up and actually do it!  But, the pay does seem like it is pretty good for accepting it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Yes--congratulations Holly--and good luck!  It's really nice to hear someone being excited and looking forward to challenging themselves in their proffession.

Yes--it is a beautiful morning in Minnesota...I got up and came to work...and immediately jumped on the internet...hmmm...   

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly... way to nail an interview!  Congrats... new growth area too!

A bit muggy 62° but a nice 6 mile progression run in 48:36 (8:06)

8:35, 8:23, 8:10, 8:01, 7:48, 7:32

Talk about jobs.. waiting on the edge of my chair for word about the job in Michigan... tap, tap, tap, tap..

Meanwhile my master bath remodel is coming along nicely, almost at tiling stage (fully tiled shower from scratch + bathroom floor and tub surround - used to be carpet - no, not the shower - the floor and tub surround!) All cement board is in place, final mudding of shower pan today then tile!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Congratulations Holly! Excellent news and I am so happy for you. We'll have to do the happy dance a few times at least during our run together on Thursday.

6.6 mellow miles for me at 8:30 am and will run again tonight at the weekly cross-country 5k series...kiddo in tow. Lots of work to do before then so, must scoot!

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Yay Holly!

I would report my run but my Garmin misfired... I know I pressed the button, but as I was approaching the end of my 3ish mile loop, I looked at it and saw the distance was still zero... ack! Now my run didn't happen! Sad

3ish miles in some 30ish minutes. I know I felt like I was going fast, but I'll never know for sure... Good thing I'm running again this evening; track workout, after which the ladies are taking me out for a beer and a bite. Today I am a perfect square! Smile

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Great news Holly.  That commute sounds pretty good - I drive 35 miles to work each day.

10 miles this morning - getting squeezed by the speedy vehicles encroaching in the breakdown lane.  At least I stay awake while running.

Slo

That's awesome Holly ! A huge congrats and best wishes. I'm curious to know how your current employer takes the news...With all you've said in the past I could see that going many ways. I suspect she'll have a wake up call and suddenly realize what she's losing.

Another morning of sleeping in. This is starting to bother me. I usually pop right out of bed...I'm ready for bed at 8:30 and sleeping in until nearly 6:00am.

Finally some nice weather !

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, congrats on the new job!  Tell your old boss:  "Take this job and shove it, I ain't workin' here no more!"  Big grin  My commute is 50 miles each way - waaay too long but I was unemployed when I got this offer, so I jumped on it.  I like the job and my boss is great, so it's worth it. Can't put a price on a good boss.  Sounds like you've got one now!

{{{Mary}}} Get well soon.  Pet the puppies for me!

I had an awesome 6 mile trail run after work last night, 10:05 avg pace.  IRC, 53° and partly sunny, and I had a lot of sproink. I love how green everything is getting.  DH is away for work this week, so I don't feel like I have to cut my evening runs short to get home for dinner.  Of course I miss him, but why not enjoy some longer trail runs in the evenings?  Planning another RAW today.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Congratulations, Holly!!!  You deserve this, and I know you're going to grow and succeed in ways you never dreamed possible.  This is so exciting!  As for your current employer, maybe this is the nudge she needs to push forward to retirement.  With regard to the commute, maybe this isn't the best time to tell you mine's 15 min max. Wink

Mary - Get better, sweetie!  Sounds like you maybe have run yourself into the ground a bit.

Me - Nothin'.  I got nothin' this morning.  *sigh*  Maybe after work.  Dr. appt at 10:45.  Keep your fingers crossed!

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance