RA Coaching Forum

SurfNRun - Quest for Sub 4 hr Honolulu Marathon - Dec 9, 07 (Read 973 times)

Week 3 of 18 5,6,5,10 (6+4). I really wanted to put in more runs but stupid me i agreed to do a 13 mile canoe race on Saturday which wiped me out on Sunday morning so I decided to split my Sunday run into two runs...The paddling training and running combo is wiping me out and my running is suffering a bit. Oh well, just got to keep on trucking and maybe work on getting better nutrition for recovery. P.S. Pam - you'd make an excellent outrigger paddler..
    Nothing wrong with splitting your long run up if needdd! How was the canoe race? Thanks Steve!! I have done a little and actually enjoyed myself immensely (boy do I miss Hawaii & Panama) Hope your week is going well!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prophet!

Week 4 4 runs of 5,6,5 and 13.5 miles. Missed a run on Saturday due to LIFE!. Really didn't feel that great this week, just pretty tired from moving and i think the paddling race did me in a bit too. But Sunday's 13.5 was the longest i've ran in a while and it felt pretty good, definitely felt the best out of the runs of the week. Hopefully this good feeling will carryover to the next week.
      btb1490

Good solid week, Steve. It seems you are getting back into the groove!

Prophet!

thanks Bob. I'm really struggling with doing both paddling and running but am unwilling to give up on either one. After the paddling race in October then i can fully focus on running and hopefully won't be as beat up.
            Nice long run Steve!! I know it's hard work doing both the running and the paddling, but think how it will be once the Paddle race is over! Training will feel like a breeze! Keep up the AWESOME work!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prophet!

thanks Pam. I was thinking about how much easier the runs will feel after paddling is over. Part of my problem i think is that i'm eating like crap these days which probably not helping with recovery process. Ocean sports (paddling and surfing) always makes me feel super hungry. Week 5 4 runs, 6,3,6,13.8 miles .... so close to 30 mpw Smile . Weekday runs from our new house have hills that i'm still not used to, so paces are still a bit low. Almost didn't do the long run because I still felt tired from a 4 hour paddling run the day before but i managed to pull it off. Pace is a bit slower than last week at 9:40 and i felt pretty worn out after. Recovered pretty fast though and managed to go surf for an hour after. Still haven't been able to put in a day of MP run that i'm supposed to do (with the Higdon Intermediate plan) on Saturdays because of paddling but maybe i'll start doing shorter MP runs before paddling practice. This week is step down week according to the program, which is good cause i have a 30 mile paddling race on Sunday, so might just do an 8 or 10 miler on Saturday.
              btb1490

You're doing great considering you're trying to train for two endurance sports at the same time. Just a few more weeks of both, and then you can concentrate on your running. We're gonna see things really take off then! Good luck on Sunday!
                  You're doing great considering you're trying to train for two endurance sports at the same time. Just a few more weeks of both, and then you can concentrate on your running. We're gonna see things really take off then! Good luck on Sunday!
                  DITTO!!

Prophet!

Week 6.. Only managed 17 miles this week on 3 runs due to paddling race on Sunday. Race went pretty well considering a crew that was put together recently and me having returned to paddling training 3 months ago after 4 years layoff. 33 miles with better than expected conditions with little trades giving us small chops to ride all the way. Felt pretty good after. Three more weeks till Molokai-Oahu race then back to marathon training. We'll see how week 7 will be. Actually, took monday off and today's run was pretty crappy, probably still recovering from the race. I got a 5K race this sunday and given my sporadic running, i don't think i'll be expecting a PR...but you just never know Smile .
                    btb1490

Well ok, we'll let you slide with only getting in 17 miles this week, given that you paddled 33 miles. Wink Holy cow that seems like a long way to paddle! Good luck with your 5k this weekend! Report please!

Prophet!

thanks bob...its actually sort of like a relay, where there is six paddlers in boat at a given time with 3 relief paddlers... so its basically 20 minute sprints, change and recover, 20 minute sprints and so on...i guess its like a 4 hour speedwork Smile personally i prefer to paddle 'iron' or all the way but changes add that element of excitement...nothing like a 400lbs canoe (+paddlers) speeding down towards you in open ocean swells and you try to grab the hull and pull yourself up without getting clobbered. I think outrigger paddling is unique is that it is a sport that requires a good balance between endurance and strength training. Plus you get to play out in the ocean Cool
                        btb1490

Sounds like a pretty cool race! I can't imagine trying to maneuver that thing in the ocean, you're talking well over 1000lbs of boat and people. I'll bet there are some pretty funny sights that take place during the switchoff!
                            WOW I CAN"T even imagine padeling 33 miles Shocked I have to agree with Bob about seing things take off once your paddle race is over in 3 weeks and you've had a chance to recover! GOOD LUCK at your 5k on Sunday!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!

muse_runner

keep running.

how are you doing? how is life?
                              running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

Prophet!

how are you doing? how is life?
                                Life is good. Thanks for checking in. Getting ready for my Molokai to Oahu paddling race tomorrow. Cranking winds, 10 - 12 foot seas...rough conditions but should be fun. Then i gotta focus back on running and training for the Honolulu marathon, oh and finishing my revisions, graduate and find a job Smile . How is the Pfitz training going ?