RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

I say count it as a time trial!! Well I say you all need to move that running community to PA! Tongue Very cool. Too bad dh has no interest in living in Texas. No need to taper on the food, especially this week!! This is one week we can eat what we want and really not feel bad (well to a certain level). GOOD LUCK on Sunday!!!! I'll be thinking of you when I'm running Philly. Funny how I'm feeling jealous of you right now, but I know come crossing the finish line on Sunday I'll be thanking my lucky stars that it wasn't any longer.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Cool - I just switched it. A new PR is a new PR! No worries - you guys don't have to move. Maybe next year we can all converge on the Monkey Marathon! Thanks, Pam! You might be jealous of the distance - but I'm going to be jealous of your time! I'm actually running from 3pm to 9pm on Saturday afternoon/evening, and then probably hang out and rest up for a couple hours before driving home, so I will be probably asleep when you start Philly! GOOD LUCK to you too on Sunday! I'm sure several of us will be cheering you on remotely!!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

So i dropped my truck off to get repaired yesterday and ran home (a little less than 5 miles). This went fine. It was even fine when one of the roads I ran on had no sidewalk and I had to run in the ditch. It was like trail running. Except more like ditch running. I'm in taper mode, so I didn't want to run back and end up with 10 miles for the day, so I decided to ride my bike to pick up my truck. I figured it would be easier and faster. Holy crap was I wrong - well it was a little faster - but I wouldn't call it easier. There was a strong head wind for about half the ride. Let's just say that it sucked and I should have just run. I have a new found respect for cyclists - when running I can step on glass with no worries - I had to do a fair amount of swerving to avoid a popped tire. Sidewalk runs out when running? No problem - run on the grass. It also seems easier to me to manage traffic and crossing the street when running. I will admit, I've been known to mutter "F'ing biker" as they fly past me on a downhill. Now that I've ridden uphill into the wind, I understand their pain to get up the hill. They deserve to fly downhill. Just thought I'd share that.

Cool - I just switched it. A new PR is a new PR! No worries - you guys don't have to move. Maybe next year we can all converge on the Monkey Marathon! Thanks, Pam! You might be jealous of the distance - but I'm going to be jealous of your time! I'm actually running from 3pm to 9pm on Saturday afternoon/evening, and then probably hang out and rest up for a couple hours before driving home, so I will be probably asleep when you start Philly! GOOD LUCK to you too on Sunday! I'm sure several of us will be cheering you on remotely!!
          Um I was think YOU all would do the moving Wink Why was I thinking you were running on Sunday as well? Well GOOD LUCK Mike!!! Can't wait to hear your report! Make sure you sleep in on Sunday and start recovering! Thanks hun!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Um I was think YOU all would do the moving Wink Why was I thinking you were running on Sunday as well? Well GOOD LUCK Mike!!! Can't wait to hear your report! Make sure you sleep in on Sunday and start recovering! Thanks hun!!
            Haha - I don't think I'm moving back to PA - I had my fill of snow during the three years I lived there. Thanks!

So Ultracentric is in the bag. Here's a link to the race report. All in all a good experience - even though it was quite boring running loops like that. Next year I want to try some more 50ks but on trails. The Palo Duro Canyon 50k looks interesting. As much work as it was to run for 6 hours - I may have to rethink my goal of attempting a 50 miler next year. It may be smarter to continue to get more fit and finish losing the weight. Maybe run a marathon or two and a couple 50ks. We'll see how the year goes. So my plan was to run 17 miles before UC and I ended up only running about 5. Ended up with just shy of 37 instead of the planned 48. Hopefully, this is a good thing and allows me to recover quicker. We shall see.

btb1490

Mike, another congrats on your Ultra! You're a natural! I'm thinking we've only seen a small glimpse of the craziness you have in store for us. The shedule looks good from here on in till Cowtown. Rest up and keep up the great work!
                  Mike, another congrats on your Ultra! You're a natural! I'm thinking we've only seen a small glimpse of the craziness you have in store for us. The shedule looks good from here on in till Cowtown. Rest up and keep up the great work!
                  Thanks, Bob! I really appreciate the advice and kind words! The jury is still out on whether I'll be extending the craziness distance or just making the current craziness go faster Big grin

Yes another CONGRATS on the ultra!!! You are soooooooo going to rock Cowtown (mixed that up with white rock sorry bout that) How ya feeling today?

Yes another CONGRATS on the ultra!!! You are soooooooo going to rock Cowtown (mixed that up with white rock sorry bout that) How ya feeling today?
                      Thanks, Pam! I'm certainly going to try like hell! Feeling pretty good. My legs felt progressively worse yesterday - I think it's because I spent the whole day sitting down (except for the 30 minutes of vacuuming). My awesome son rolled me with The Stick twice - once in the morning and again last night - this helped a lot. Today I resolved to at least walk a few miles - took the kids to the park with their bikes and after walking for 5 minutes - I felt up to running - so I got in a nice easy 3.5. I feel 10x better now. Totally wishing I would have at least gone for a short walk yesterday. Oh well. No worries on the mix up, Pam. I am doing the half at White Rock in a few weeks - but I am going to run at whatever pace modal (Tim) wants to run at. Right now he says 9:30, so that should be fine. It's basically my first long run for Cowtown training - so even if it's slower than that - it will be fine.

btb1490

Mike, it sounds like you are well on your way to a good recovery! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Enjoy that well derserved break and feast on Thursday!
                          Mike, it sounds like you are well on your way to a good recovery! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Enjoy that well derserved break and feast on Thursday!
                          Thanks, Bob! And a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

Prophet!

MI'm thinking we've only seen a small glimpse of the craziness you have in store for us.
                            yup, i think pretty soon we'll see a Lynn-like summary graph of your log soon Smile
                              Ditto!!! Hope you have an awesome Turkey day!!

yup, i think pretty soon we'll see a Lynn-like summary graph of your log soon Smile
                                Ha. I hope not. That will only mean one thing. That I'm a bigger boob and an idiot than you guys thought. Oh. Wait. Big grin