Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Rusk Runner

Damaris!  TWO donuts?!  You must run another marathon immediately.  The donuts must be exorcised!

One mile - I always wear compression shorts under tights.  My wife probably would not let ne leave the house otherwise.  She thinks I should wear running shorts over my tights, and that just aint gonna happen.

cbus - Most of the 5Ks around these parts are never more than 20 bucks and quite often a majority of the money goes to charity.  Small 5K races are fun and a good confidence booster.  They are also hard if you look to compete.

Josh - Are you planning to do any of the tuneup races in the program?  If I remember correctly, you will be doing a tempo run on Friday  with a short recovery run on Saturday before your first 20 miler.  So, I wouldnt recommend doing a 5K that Saturday, cause you certainly arent going into that 20 miler fresh as it is.

Jedi - Plus One and a high five to your comment about running fast to get faster.  I love easy running, but every now and then I need the pain and mental anguish of a hard run.  Its good to get out of that comfort zone.  Aint that right Nachos!

Got my 6 recovery miles done this afternoon after staying at work 2 hours longer than expected, eating less than I should have, and drinking too much coffee.  Not suprisingly, my heart rate was a bit high for the paces that I was running today.  Probably going to make my easy 8 tomorrow easier than usual.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

The following year my time was beaten by an 80 year old- though it was Ed Whitlock, and he did set a world record.

When I'm Ed Whitlock's age, I'll be happy just being on the correct side of the grass and running around.  Setting world records would be lagniappe. Big grin

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Ball of Fury

Cbus:  in July, we are doing a race called the Meltdown, which is a series of 3 5Ks, one at 8 AM, one at 9 AM, and one at 10 AM....I think it's around $25.  Maybe you would feel like you got your money's worth??

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

When I'm Ed Whitlock's age, I'll be happy just being on the correct side of the grass and running around.  Setting world records would be lagniappe. Big grin

Flinders, Big grin

I've looked around, and 5ks around here are typically $25. But you get a medal! Really? For a 5k? Don't get me wrong, I love my half and full medals, but a 5k doesn't seem warranted. I wish I could forego the medal and t-shirt for a lower entry fee. But the fee is only part of it. The other part is the pain and suffering of a 5k! Well, I guess I already pay someone to inflict pain on me when I go for Graston, maybe i should go ahead and pay someone to make me run so fast I throw up.

Ami, that Meltdown sounds terrible. Dead I'd rather run 26.2 than race three 5ks consecutively.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Me too!  Marathons don't give me asthma attacks.  5Ks do.

Big grin

I've looked around, and 5ks around here are typically $25. But you get a medal! Really? For a 5k? Don't get me wrong, I love my half and full medals, but a 5k doesn't seem warranted. I wish I could forego the medal and t-shirt for a lower entry fee. But the fee is only part of it. The other part is the pain and suffering of a 5k! Well, I guess I already pay someone to inflict pain on me when I go for Graston, maybe i should go ahead and pay someone to make me run so fast I throw up.

Ami, that Meltdown sounds terrible. Dead I'd rather run 26.2 than race three 5ks consecutively.

Damaris

We should all start chanting 5 ....K.....5......K....and so on. They are fun for a change of scenery.

Rocket- I hear three donuts is the record Smile

onemile- how are the legs doing?

josh & mdawg- give us a shoe update

cbus- I laced parallel and the foot didn't start to go numb until closer to 4.5 or 5 and it took longer and didnt seem to go as numb. 6 @ 8:44 negative splits.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

White Lightning

Josh - Are you planning to do any of the tuneup races in the program?  If I remember correctly, you will be doing a tempo run on Friday  with a short recovery run on Saturday before your first 20 miler.  So, I wouldnt recommend doing a 5K that Saturday, cause you certainly arent going into that 20 miler fresh as it is.

I have a HM the week after that first 20 miler that I'm going to race.  Not sure if its advised to go all out on it but I really want to see what I can do in a HM.  My PR "racing" a HM is 2:04 (1 year, 40 pounds and 1100 miles ago) and I know i'm faster than that with my 1:49 HM training run 4 months ago.  Still early enough in the cycle to recover if i'm too toast after.  Supposed to be 16 that weekend so will get a few miles before and after the race.  The only 10k I could run would be the first of the three scheduled tune-up races.  Was looking at them this afternoon.  To be honest, I want to make sure I can get through my long runs comfortably before I decide to run a 10k the day before one.  Time will tell.

Rollcast - still in my 12's.  Picking up my 13's tomorrow.  So scared to make a change right now because things are going really well and I don't want to lose the momentum.

Play the Game Hard!

Rusk Runner

Josh - I raced a HM after a 56 mile week.  I was definately tired but I still managed to PR by 2 minutes.  If you remember I had actually added a  week to my schedule to account for the HM.  I did not do any of the tune up races.  They were both hard to schedule without too much travel, and I was always on the verge of being overtrained or injured that first time through Pfitz 18/55.  The training has me getting tired now, but I think its closer to the tired that is the goal of the program as I am able to hit all of the paces and accomplish all of the scheduled work.  I dont know if I will be doing any of the tune up races this time through either.  There is a 10K that I would like to run that meets the schedule.  It is going to happen in Terra Hautte on the course where the NCAA Cross Country Championships are run.  Its about a 2 hour drive for me though, so it requires some thought.  I have never run a 10K before, and I wont be rested enough to do as well as I think I can, but any time I run would be a PR and probably a good tempo run for the week.

I have been experimenting with having a little less arch support in my shoes over the last week.  So far so good, but it has not been long enough to really make a good assesment.

I am working a temporary promotion at work for the next 120 days.  I hope to keep my stress level in check since I know all about the life of middle management.  Hopefully the running will relieve the stress instead of the stress affecting my running.  This old Chief needs to learn to chill even more when things get hot.  Its a life long learning process.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Roll, is this happening only in the Launch? Or has this always been an issue? Do you have an old pair of shoes you can try a run in to see if it happens again?

Josh, I definitely think you should take advantage of your full training to PR a half. I would even alter the schedule to rest the legs a little--but I place a high value on the half.

Indi, congrats on the mini promo. You'll smash it chief! And you should definitely race a 10k...especially if I'm gonna race a 5k Wink.

Good luck to Onemile! It's 17 degrees here in Ohio, so it's gotta be colder in Wisc--brrrr. Smash it!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

Indy:  Good luck with the temporary promotion!

Roll:  Sounds like the run was a little better...hopefully that will continue!

CBus:  The Meltdown was actually really fun last year (even though it was hot and humid...yuck!).  There was a woman in her late 70s that ran all 3...very inspiring!

One Mile:  Good luck today!!

Just finished my easy 6-miler....it was great!  Hudson suggesta sometime running the Sat run on the faster end of easy pace and I thought, "No Way!" when I got up this morning.  But, once I got out there, I felt great.  Did mile 1 at 9:38, then the next 4 at 9:06, 9:05, 8:59, and 9:01 before slowing down to 9:31 on the last one.  They all felt great!!  think it it was the old school hip hop I was listening to....who doesnlove over Snoop Dog and Dr. Dre?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Too sleepy to wake up at 5am to do my LR, so I did 7 miles before the temps hit 80F and the sun was killing me.  Bah.

AmiK, sounds like a nice run!

onemile, good luck!  And yes, brrrrrrr.  Are you wearing your FB ninja outfit?

Damaris

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Josh:  I agree with Cbus; race a half to see where you are.  You only need a mini-taper of two or three days or reduced mileage and intensity, and the same after the race to recover.

Ami:  Three 5Ks in a row sounds like fun.  Slightly nuts, but fun.  It is something I'd do.  A LRS puts on a race near me in September that is a 5K followed by a 10K; they encourage you to run both, but the 10K gun goes off exactly an hour after the 5K gun, and you have to run the mile and a half from the finish back up a brutal hill to the common start line.  It was fun to do something like that because it was a little out of the ordinary.

Onemile:  Smash it!!

Me: 13.2 mile LR @ 8:27 this morning.  33F with gusting 20mph winds from the north.  Began ickily with the wind in my face and going uphill, but then I dropped into a park and was sheltered from the wind for a couple of miles.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

onemile

1:11:22 official time, 4/38 AG!!  but my garmin only measured 9.22 so I'm afraid it was short!  Official pace was 7:40 but my avg for 9.22 was 7:44.4.  Two of the miles were pretty slippery so I'll take it!!  Now to decide what this means for my MP dilemma.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Onemile - nice race Smile  thanks for the well wishes.

Spin today but I"m exhausted- I woke up with a sore throat and feel like I got hit by a bus.  Don't worry, I'm nuts enough to still go, plus I pre-paid.  Movie tonight instead of birthday party that I was planning on attending- don't think other runners would appreciate me getting them sick (plus, I am dead, literally).

Dog went nuts in the snow...this is a pic from yesterday before the storm:

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job!  That sounds tough.

Did you run it at 15K pace or at MP?  Assuming it's short, 7:40-7:44 is pretty much on the ball park.  What MP does that give you?  You also must take into consideration the difficulty of the course (ice, etc.), just like I take into consideration the heat and humidity.

1:11:22 official time, 4/38 AG!!  but my garmin only measured 9.22 so I'm afraid it was short!  Official pace was 7:40 but my avg for 9.22 was 7:44.4.  Two of the miles were pretty slippery so I'll take it!!  Now to decide what this means for my MP dilemma.

Damaris