Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Hi Michigan, yes, I still ran 80+ miles this week.  May be a little crazy.  But I wasn't planning to run a hard 5k.  Originally, I planned to run a fun 1500m track race in the afternoon today.  The heat wave (95F) changed my plan.  I still want to race today so the only other good race was the morning 5k, and so I ran it.  No taper!

A good time for you on the treadmill!  Looks like you are going to be ready next month!

Way to go Gcklo!

80 miles this week you are one crazy fool!

I didn't run today...went camping and ran some nice hills this past week.

Last 3 weeks (Sunday to Saturday) 46, 39, 35 but a big zero so far today as I feel tired.

I did run a treadmill time trial 5k last night at 1.5% grade and managed a 20:36.

My wheels were really feeling fatigued.

I hope to race July 26th.

My plan is to take it easy this week then try for my 1st 60 mile week next week.

Follow that up with 50 miles or so the week of July 18.

Then a taper week for the race....maybe 40 miles should do it.

If I follow that plan I guarantee a sub 20 on July 26th.

Great job!  Awesome negative splits!

My 5k this morning went surprisingly well.  I was aiming for just under 21, so 6:45 miles.  My runs since coming back from my trip haven't felt great, and I've thrown in race-pace 1/2-mile sections just to get a feel for the pace.  Those 1/2-mile sections have felt pretty difficult, so I wasn't very confident about the race.

Fortunately, conditions for the race were pretty much perfect.  About 70 degrees, overcast, no wind, and a pancake-flat course.  I went out at a comfortably hard pace and finished the first mile in 6:45.  The second mile went by in 6:38, and though I was tired I still felt in control.  I unconsciously picked up the pace in the third mile; I remember looking down about halfway through it and seeing 6:25 for the lap pace on my Garmin!  I ran the final 1.1 miles in 7:00 (6:22/mi) for a final time of 20:25.  That's a big improvement over my previous PR of 20:59 and a big step toward my sub-20 goal for this summer.

Given my big negative split, I probably could have run this a bit faster, but I was feeling very iffy about this race and wasn't confident enough to go out any faster.  I'm very happy with my performance and feel like my consistent 40-mile weeks and interval workouts for the past couple of months are paying off.

MoBramExam

Not only good times, but two well-ran races.  Nice work, geklo and Afty.  MrPHinNJ, will be pulling for ya on Wednesday.  Good luck!

Prince of Fatness

My 5k this morning went surprisingly well.  I was aiming for just under 21, so 6:45 miles.  My runs since coming back from my trip haven't felt great, and I've thrown in race-pace 1/2-mile sections just to get a feel for the pace.  Those 1/2-mile sections have felt pretty difficult, so I wasn't very confident about the race.

I've run some of my best times when I felt like crap in the days leading up to the race.  In fact, I almost look at it as a good sign.  Nice job.

Not at it at all. 

Nice race Afty! PR too. Those 40 mile weeks are a good thing.

Mobram, how did your race go? I know it wasn't a 5k but remember you said it was going to be hot.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

We are in the middle of having a heat wave and so temp was about 80F at 9am.  But that wasn't the biggest problem.  This course is always tough, not because of some mild hills and many frequent turns, but because it is an open course.  The majority of the running path is about 3-4 ft wide and we have to share with hundreds of walkers, dogs, and casual joggers.  Weather was warm this morning so they all came out.  Hard to go more than 5 sec without dodging someone. 

I was also running this race, and can vouch for the heat and obstacle course. My training has been going well and thought I had a shot at sub-20 but didn't come close on this day. Right before the race, my friend's Garmin's battery quit, so since he's faster and had a shot at winning the 10K, I lent it to him and had to run by feel, really concentrating on slowing down off the starting line. It seemed to work as nobody passed me after a mile, and I passed about 5 people over the last 2 miles. I even won a sprint to the finish line with the last guy I passed, who was in my age group! Ended up getting 2nd in the 50-59s.

I agree that this course is about 25 seconds slower than a flat and fast course. My PR on a certified course is 20:30, and on this course, 20:54. Yesterday, I improved that to about 20:45, though I don't know my final time as I didn't have my watch, and can't remember the clock time as I crossed the line. My brain isn't working right when I reach that point in a race.

Got my 2nd sub 20 today - but only barely - at 19:59.  I have a few "theorectical sub 20s" based on the finishing times from longer distances as calculated by the calculators. 

We are in the middle of having a heat wave and so temp was about 80F at 9am.  But that wasn't the biggest problem.  This course is always tough, not because of some mild hills and many frequent turns, but because it is an open course.  The majority of the running path is about 3-4 ft wide and we have to share with hundreds of walkers, dogs, and casual joggers.  Weather was warm this morning so they all came out.  Hard to go more than 5 sec without dodging someone. 

I accidentally kicked a dog after about a mile.  I was trailing a guy for about 7 - 8 yards.  He passed the dog.  I was just following his path.  Then, the dog owner suddently loosened the leash and the dog came onto my path.  I tried to avoid it but couldn't. Good that I wasn't tripped by the dog and fell.  Hope the dog is ok too  (I am an animal lover with a dog and 3 cats myself) and I really think the dog owner should have been more careful.

Then just before mile 2, a high school kid passed me.  But he cut in front of me immediately and slowed down!  And the back of his feet kicked into my legs! This brought back the bad memory a few years back when a high school kid elbowed me to the floor in the last 50 yards in a FUN 5k track race.  I spent several seconds scolding this kid this time!  I don't know what their coaches taught them in high school but this is really poor ettiquete.

I should have a race in 2 weeks, I hope.  Just waiting for Jim's notification!

Nice goin George on what is definitely not a PR course. The track race will be at West Valley College on Jul 11. Most do a 3-mile warm up on the roads starting at ~7:30 on Douglas, which is off Fruitvale Avenue. The race is scheduled for 8:00 but will probably be a few minutes after. Feel free to drop me a PM if need. I'll check back again next week

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

I hear you, the heat, the construction stuff and course changes (added a couple of sharp turns in the 1st mile) kind of made it tougher yesterday.  I also pressed the wrong button on my Garmin when I finished.  Just was glad that it was over.

I was also running this race, and can vouch for the heat and obstacle course. My training has been going well and thought I had a shot at sub-20 but didn't come close on this day. Right before the race, my friend's Garmin's battery quit, so since he's faster and had a shot at winning the 10K, I lent it to him and had to run by feel, really concentrating on slowing down off the starting line. It seemed to work as nobody passed me after a mile, and I passed about 5 people over the last 2 miles. I even won a sprint to the finish line with the last guy I passed, who was in my age group! Ended up getting 2nd in the 50-59s.

I agree that this course is about 25 seconds slower than a flat and fast course. My PR on a certified course is 20:30, and on this course, 20:54. Yesterday, I improved that to about 20:45, though I don't know my final time as I didn't have my watch, and can't remember the clock time as I crossed the line. My brain isn't working right when I reach that point in a race.

Thanks Jim, I will be there!

Nice goin George on what is definitely not a PR course. The track race will be at West Valley College on Jul 11. Most do a 3-mile warm up on the roads starting at ~7:30 on Douglas, which is off Fruitvale Avenue. The race is scheduled for 8:00 but will probably be a few minutes after. Feel free to drop me a PM if need. I'll check back again next week

I keep running my 30-40 miles a week and keep wondering why I am not busting through the sub 20 barrier.

That is alot of miles to be running for someone as thin as me who has been running for 4-5 years yet seems like I hit a lull.

I try to do the same 8-10 miler every Sunday...the same 5 mile easy runs....the same interval work every week.

I know I have to step it up a notch in the mileage to see some results. But I am comfortable with my 5 mile daily mileage totals. Adding miles will make me tired.

My goal is 200 miles in July.

I want 60 miles in a week for the 1st time as well.

I only want to do this for one month however.

I have a July 26 race and another 5k in early August.

If I can earn some fast times (low 19s) then maybe I will stay hungry with the running.

Its a constants struggle to stay running. When I miss a day I am afraid of losing touch with sub 20.

We need to keep posting and let the other posters know we are rooting for them.

Keep on running....your day will come.

djtaylor

I keep running my 30-40 miles a week and keep wondering why I am not busting through the sub 20 

I don't know how injury-prone you are, but going from ~35 to 60 is a big jump.  I hit 60 for the first time last week after many months in the high 40s / low 50s.  Was I extra cautious?  Perhaps.  However, I currently feel as if I'm riding that very fine line between breakthrough and injury, leaning towards the breakthrough.  We are all certainly different, but in my case I have little doubt I'd be injured hitting 60 for the first time after a quick jump from 40...

I've hit a low/down time. My home town had a race for the past 25 to 30 years, it was a five miler. This year they didn't put it on. I planned to do a 5K June 27. Turned out that one was taken off the schedule too. Top top things off, it has been raining/gloomy the last few days. I am feeling unfit, but I know I am in good shape. Just need to find a race!

Can't wait to see the results of the races coming up. Way to go gcklo, another sub 20. 

Hi Michigan,

Even though different runners have different talents and that some people can run pretty well on low miles, I do really believe in the benefits of consistent higher miles, as suggested by Jim. 

Right now, it is likely that if you keep doing what you are doing, you probably will be getting the same result.

I think 30 - 40 miles is not a lot of miles even for me who is very thin and light (~126lbs only).  I think it will be very beneficial for you if you can increase your mileage gradually and stay there for a while.  50-60 miles is good mileage and in my opinion, it would really help if you can stay at that level consistently.

I keep running my 30-40 miles a week and keep wondering why I am not busting through the sub 20 barrier.

That is alot of miles to be running for someone as thin as me who has been running for 4-5 years yet seems like I hit a lull.

I try to do the same 8-10 miler every Sunday...the same 5 mile easy runs....the same interval work every week.

I know I have to step it up a notch in the mileage to see some results. But I am comfortable with my 5 mile daily mileage totals. Adding miles will make me tired.

I only want to do this for one month however.

I have a July 26 race and another 5k in early August.

If I can earn some fast times (low 19s) then maybe I will stay hungry with the running.

Its a constants struggle to stay running. When I miss a day I am afraid of losing touch with sub 20.

We need to keep posting and let the other posters know we are rooting for them.

Keep on running....your day will come.

MoBramExam

Mobram, how did your race go? I know it wasn't a 5k but remember you said it was going to be hot.

Didn't post report because (1) it wasn't a 5K and (2) I wrote a book.  I finished in 50:22.  Very happy with time with heat index in the 80s and inexperience at this distance.  I learned more about running, racing, and myself in less than an hour than I've learned in almost a year of running.  Also finished one place higher in AG than last race.  Here is a link to the race report if anyone is interested:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/bb6c497b284b43409db3c4ace52839f3/workouts/93704f4a224a48dfb7685a5ad300fc9c

Mobram, thanks for the link. Didn't realize you had written a report. Way to finish, especially after going through that situation mid-race and working your way through that. That would have scared the crud out of me. Gotta be a shot in the arm to feel strong like that in the end. Keep it going. You're onto a good thing.

Current Goals: Run and stuff