What muscle groups does running affect? (Read 2244 times)

Baby bean!

Basically, is it a lower body exercise or total body? I know, kind of a dumb question. Just looking for answers for a discussion I was having with a friend.

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

rlemert

Lower body and heart. How much work does your upper body really have to do? In fact, one of the 'secrets' to a strong finish in a race is to concentrate on pumping your arms. They will still be fairly fresh and will respond to your demand, and your legs will be forced to keep up to keep you in balance. It's also not even all of your lower body. I've been told by my doctor (who's also a runner) to concentrate on my inner quads when I do my cross-training weights. The outer quads get plenty of work while running, but the inner quads don't and as a result fall out of balance.

De-slacking in progress

Having a strong core helps also- the longer the distance you run you'll need a strong lower back/ab muscles to help keep your form. I usually notice it when hitting the 9-10 mile range and need to remind myself to maintain proper form- I'd say it works your entire body depending on if you are running uphill/ downhill/flat, etc.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

Having a strong core helps also- the longer the distance you run you'll need a strong lower back/ab muscles to help keep your form. I usually notice it when hitting the 9-10 mile range and need to remind myself to maintain proper form- I'd say it works your entire body depending on if you are running uphill/ downhill/flat, etc.

I would second that.  Had pretty sore quads and calves, but also really felt it in hip flexors and even obliques a bit the next day after marathon.  I had been trying to work on core and probably need some more work but was "nice" to see after the race the core is very important.

I think even being strong upper helps in distance races to avoid fatigue.  Last year i would get pain/discomfort in shouders, etc. even in 10 or half marathon, this year hit the weights over winter when down with knee injury (since spring just once in a while to maintain strength) the upper body felt great and it does help you (for a short period) to force the lower body but would not count on it too much.

my two main areas to improve will be continued core strengthening and quads as they do not seem to get hit enough on the "easy" runs??

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!