Should I not do a really long run the weekend before my taper week starts? (Read 67 times)

esprz0

I'm a new runner and the idea of a taper week still brings up questions for me. I ran cross country this year and the weekend before my taper week started i went on a long run that was 5 minutes longer then my previous longest run that season (I ran a total of 90 min). My legs didn't feel so great and one of knees started bugging me. which caused me to miss my last race of the season

Now during track & field, my taper week is about to start and i have an 80 minute long run(the longest run i will have had this track season) coming up the saturday before my taper week.  I'm a bit weary to run for that long when my taper week is coming up. I know i'll be tapering but I can't help but feel it's not the smartest idea to go for that long right now, because i've been prone to be more prone to injuries at the end of my season.

Should I run an abbreviated version of my long run? not run my long run? or something else?

Any advice would be appreciated!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Bring up your concerns with your coach, including what happened at the end of cross country.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

SMART Approach

Just run it very comfy paced after a nice warm up. BUT, What are you tapering for? You aren't running big endurance events??

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just run it very comfy paced after a nice warm up. BUT, What are you tapering for? You aren't running big endurance events??

Maybe it's just different terminology, but peaking for shorter races, and I'm referring all the way down to 800m, is basically the same as tapering.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

ThisIsWhyIWant

spammy mcspammer
            Richard Rogers

quote block preserves spam link