1st half - 1 hr 50 sound reasonable? (Read 374 times)

Not too strange that you were higher on the first mile.  It could be spiking of the hr reading due to it being on dry skin.  There is a lot of information on hr straps and watches on http://dcrainmaker.com/.  On a tempo run, you are probably around 85% mhr.  My mhr is a little higher than average for my age (38) but is 188 which makes my target hr on a tempo run about 160.

For a 40 year old, using one of the broken max hr formulas (220 - age) gives a max hr of 180 and at 85% gives a target of around 153.  In that case an average of 150 would make sense to me as it takes a while for your heart rate to raise and plateau.

Paul in the Peaks

more great feedback, thank you. I didn't feel over the top, it didn't help my watch was telling me my hr was too high all the way around. Need to check settings..

I love running - after the event...

Full: 3:59:26

Half 1:39

15k 1:17

10k 48:24

5k 22.18

Paul in the Peaks

Having completed my training and listened to lots of experienced and helpful people I have decided to run at 2 hour pace and judge how I feel after about 8 or 9 miles. It's about completing the event after all and hopefully enjoying it.

Thanks all for advice and support. Can't wait :-)

5k 22.18

not a bad idea being conservative for first 8 or 9 miles.   I still believe you could be a bit more aggressive in your goal & have very good shot at sub 1:50.   Only thing that may hold you back would be not having enough overall mileage & lack of double digit training runs.

but most important is to have fun, learn, recovery week &  get back into more consistent training building up the mileage for your Oct. HM.  You do that & you will blow the doors off that 1:50 HM !

an amazing likeness

Go get 'em! Eager to see the results....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Joann Y

I still believe you could be a bit more aggressive in your goal & have very good shot at sub 1:50.   Only thing that may hold you back would be not having enough overall mileage & lack of double digit training runs.

Agree with this. Your PRs are almost spot on the same as mine but you've been running some of your longer training runs faster than I usually run mine. If those long runs have been relatively comfortable (e.g. 11.5 miles at 8:57 per mile), I'd say go for it.

FWIW, I barely average 10 min miles for long runs (maybe have a couple 9 min/mile in there), and think can run 1:50.  My PR is 1:48 ish, with 10K around 50 min.  Ran 1:50 -1:55 HM a few times when training for a marathon at about 40-45 miles a week.  I would not rule out sub 1:50 for you, I'd be more confident if your mileage was a little higher, but you got a good shot.

Paul in the Peaks

oh I don't know...

perhaps I pace 1.55 then check on 8 how I feel?

I know the competitive edge will kick in on the day but my long runs taught me that might not be a good thing

5k 22.18

npaden

The one key to a good race is not going out too fast.  Don't change up to a 1:55 goal and then start out at a 1:45 pace or you will for certainly not make it.  Starting out too slow on the first couple miles is almost always better than too fast.

With that said you should be able to feel where you are at close to the half way point.  If you are still feeling good you can pick it up a bit then.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

The one key to a good race is not going out too fast.  Don't change up to a 1:55 goal and then start out at a 1:45 pace or you will for certainly not make it.  Starting out too slow on the first couple miles is almost always better than too fast.

With that said you should be able to feel where you are at close to the half way point.  If you are still feeling good you can pick it up a bit then.

exactamundo

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

+ 1

Hot and humid weather will extract a pound of flesh at mile10.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

#artbydmcbride

I predict you will run 1:46:13

Runners run

npaden

I do think he is capable of sub 1:50.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Paul in the Peaks

Well today was the day...

clear skies (a little too warm) but hat, glasses and sun cream all sorted.

Went out at 8:30/8:45 pace with the plan to see how I felt at around 8 miles.

I could see the 1:50 pacer at 8 miles but he was quite a way ahead so sat until about 10 to see how I felt then slowly picked it up.

Caught him with 1/2 mile to go and recorded 1:49:33. Very pleased as you can imagine (but physically broken).

Thanks to all for advice and support, really made a difference. Hopefully I can pass on a little in the future!

Paul

5k 22.18

Joann Y

Caught him with 1/2 mile to go and recorded 1:49:33. Very pleased as you can imagine (but physically broken).

Ha! Very cool! When's the next one?