Weekly volume at 50 years - cut volume and see gains? (Read 315 times)

joescott

And BTW, LedLincoln, what race are you running?

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And BTW, LedLincoln, what race are you running?

Lincoln Marathon again. Not stressing over it. If the weather's cool, I should do pretty well, and if it's hot...well, you know.

MTA:  Come on up an run it! There are still openings! Smile

joescott

Ha, yes!  Well, I would love to.  It's a great race and can be fast.  I have a couple of co-workers who are going up, but I think I'm going to stay in "marathon recovery" mode for a bit.  The idea of biting off another one already like a lot of those maniacs do makes me feel a bit nauseous.

Good luck!  I hope you get great weather.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

remove

Irishod

So, I've got a marathon coming up and have gotten in decent volume (60 mpw for last 17 wks), but have not gotten in the quality marathon pace and LT runs I've done in past cycles.  So, taking this a slightly different direction, how much does the lack of quality hurt when volume is kept constant.  I'm 53.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

So, I've got a marathon coming up and have gotten in decent volume (60 mpw for last 17 wks), but have not gotten in the quality marathon pace and LT runs I've done in past cycles.  So, taking this a slightly different direction, how much does the lack of quality hurt when volume is kept constant.  I'm 53.

I think a lot depends on how close you are to your theoretical ability.  If your marathon times have been close to the equivalence projected from your half/10k times, it will hurt more than if you've been falling short of those equivalences.  In fact, if you have a large endurance deficit I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of MP/LT work makes no difference, and you may see gains over last time if your volume has been consistent since the previous cycle.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

More than you might think. If your LT and VO2Max have dropped as a result of not maintaining good quality runs, then a given pace is going to be that much higher a percentage of them and that much harder to maintain.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

You are going to get all sorts of conflicting answers and that is because it all depends. 

What was your avg mpw in previous marathon cycles?  As ilanarama stated, how do you shorter distance PR's line up with your Marathon PR?  Do MP and Tempos runs drain you?  I know a fast Marathoner whom does very little of them as it drains him,  but does a lot of shorter and faster races.  Do you respond well to MP/LT Training? (ie - in the past did you notice a big difference on how you felt speed wise  with them).  I know for me, I am fine cruising around and doing moderate type running bu then all of a sudden, I just don't have that next gear and just cannot go faster.  That is just me and I have seen a lot of people run really good marathons off just miles.

How far away is your marathon?  If it is weeks then try a 10 mile pace run at MP and see how it feels.  You will know right away whether it is doable or not.

There are so many variables involved that we would need more information.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.

Sound great running all those miles in your 50's but just remember to save some legs, knees, and joints to keep running in your 60's. One thing about the Kenyon runners they know how to run but also how to rest/recover too.

Irishod

Thanks for the replies.  Don't mean to high jack the thread.  It's just been a weird cycle.  To answer a few of the points raised, my times line up decently across the spectrum.  20:22 5k, 42:04 10k, 1:32:41 HM, 3:22:10 FM.  All within the last 8 mos.  I backed off on speed work, LT, MP runs after October due to a chronic groin issue I wanted to resolve.  It's pretty much resolved now.  I was able to maintain volume, as long as I kept it easy.  My marathon PR was 6 mos ago.  I had a good base going into that cycle, but lost 4 weeks to a strained soleus.  I was pleasantly surprised not to fade late in that marathon, as I was unsure I'd even be able to do it until about 3 weeks prior.  This cycle mileage has been good, with just one down week of only 40 miles due to illness.  Average of 60 mpw is my my best for a cycle, other than my Boston cycle last year.  Body feels great (don't feel like I'm wearing out my knees or joints), but I just don't know that I feel "fast".  In the past I've had no issues with LT or MP runs draining me, and recovered quickly.  As far as response to quality work, it's been there, but I've always felt that the biggest factor in improvement in my times was increase mileage.  Average mileage for my previous marathon cycles is 28 (3:53), 43 (3:33), 53 (3:22), 57 (3:49 - crashed and burned on a hot day), 48 (3:22)(lost 4 weeks  to injury).

Normally I'd have raced a few times in this cycle.  Unfortunately, my usual spring HM fell on March 18'th, and being Irish that was a non-starter.  I found a HM on April 8'th but ended up with the flu 3 days before, so DNS.  With the Flying Pig being 9 days out, there's no opportunity to race beforehand.  I'm hoping I'll feel blazing fast after a taper, but fear that wcrunner and Illanarama (I don't think I have a large endurance deficit-but correct me if I'm wrong) have nailed it, and I may struggle to maintain pace.

So, my dilemma is, do I go out and try to go sub 3:20 or just back off and enjoy the day, drink the beer, eat the bacon, and have a good time. For what it's worth, the advanced weather forecast looks great.  Anyway, thanks for indulging me.  Any advice is appreciated.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Irishod, when were your races (20:22 5k, 42:04 10k, 1:32:41 HM, 3:22:10 FM)?  If the half was relatively close to your full, I think you've got a shot at 3:20, but I would not pace for anything faster than that.  I think that 60mpw of easy running (assuming you've been actually running easy, 8:15 or slower) will have done you good.  You might want to do a little MP running during taper, but I actually think you are better positioned than you were with 48mpw and speedwork.

Irishod

Ilana - i double checked a few things in my log and found that I made an error.  My average mileage for my last marathon (3:22) was actually only 42 mpw (not 48).  I lost the 4 weeks to injury in Sept prior to the early Nov marathon, which really brought down the average.  I really didn't get a lot of speed work in for that one either.  As far as my PR's, the 5k Pr was 7/17, the HM PR was 8/17, the marathon PR was 11/17.  The 10k Pr was actually 12/16.  I ran the same race again in 12/17 but was 42:27, so 23 seconds slower.  That was the last time I've raced.

It should be a good experiment (of one) of whether just adding miles without quality will yield a better result.  I'm thinking if I get good weather (looks good now), I'll go out for 3:20, but, if I'm struggling at all to maintain pace, back off.  I have the luxury of a safe BQ already, so really no pressure.  But, I always want to improve so don't want to go out and just jog it.

Glad to see you're getting back to racing.  It sucks when you can't do what you love.  Here's hoping you stay healthy and get back to running the way you want.

Irishod

Irishod, when were your races (20:22 5k, 42:04 10k, 1:32:41 HM, 3:22:10 FM)?  If the half was relatively close to your full, I think you've got a shot at 3:20, but I would not pace for anything faster than that.  I think that 60mpw of easy running (assuming you've been actually running easy, 8:15 or slower) will have done you good.  You might want to do a little MP running during taper, but I actually think you are better positioned than you were with 48mpw and speedwork.

3:20Tight lippedx.  2+ min negative split, and last mile was 7:14.  In my experiment of 1, miles triumphed speedwork.  I don't think, at least for me, cutting volume would yield gains.  Might be a different story for high mileage runners though.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Woohoo, congratulations!