Running in the Rain (Read 1053 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

regular rain runner.

And I have special rain shoes

Monsoons are just a light shower, right?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

live in foothills east of Seattle, so if anyone wants to run outside then well, you have to run in the rain, cold. Just get some warm light weight base layer, & light weight waterproof outer layer.  hat & lightweight waterproof gloves are usually part of requirement.  also this last yr added  lightweight waterproof pants that are used also for hiking. love to run in the rain as I have lived somewhere in the Pacific NW all my life.  sometimes do get tired of running in rain every time out! so hit the treadmill.  will not run if there is ice or snow (like this past winter, just got snowshoes instead) for safety reasons. 

skyedog

bap

Monsoons are just a light shower, right?

And the rain is warm so they're easy to run in.

Certified Running Coach
        Crocked since 2013

Member Since 2008

I prefer to run in the rain.  I am from Oregon so I have a lot of experience at it.
          Desmondp

just bought a really nice bright blue ultra lightweight rain coat so i'm set for wet weather running Smile

It is true when it is raining, it's not normally too cold

Kultcha

Hi - I am in Sydney, Australia which is just coming into winter now but winters here are not a patch on those who suffer heavy winters in the Northern hemisphere or even those south from here.

I love running in the rain - I wear a 2XU running jacket - although it doesn't really keep me very dry it is a nice jacket for running in.  As long as my shoes don't get too saturated - I don't like backing up the next day with wet shoes.

I also find that I tend to run faster in the rain.

I have gotten a bit precious lately.  My Garmin 305 got toasted running home one night in a particularly heavy rain-storm recently ... and I have since replaced it with a FR 50 & foot pod which I am scared of toasting as well - don't think the minister of home finance would approve another purchase in a such a short space of time. 

glutton for punishment

i think i actually run better the rain as long as its warm - low pressure and rain seem to improve stamina
                PRs: 5K - 22:15 May 09 10K - 47:11 feb 09 15K - 1:16 april 09 HM - 1:47 nov 08
                  I took a pair of gore-tex pants and cut them off- made shorts out of them. Also got a light raincoat of similar stuff and cut the sleeves off that. Out here in Olympic Peninsula in Washington State it rains alot but usually not hard. (Unless you're on the West end). I wear a long sleeve tech shirt and carry gloves and hat. (One of the cut off sleeves from the coat  also functions as a pull-on rain hat). So I'm basically running in gore-tex  shorts and T shirt. That keeps me cooler than long pants and coat with sleeves. Both came from the junk (thrift) store. If it's raining real hard I'll reschedule my long run, but otherwise just head out the door. I'm surprised no one has made commercially available gore-tex shorts. (At least I haven't come across them). I get wet around the edges, but the core stays dry for a long time.