How to knock 7 minutes off my marathon time? (Read 778 times)

Slow Runner

Base of 50 mpw & no prior speedwork. Choose one of the following options: A. Increase mileage to 60-70 mpw B. Incorporate fartleks/1-2 mile intervals while maintaining 50 mpw C. Combination of A & B
    xor

A for awhile, then add B. And pick a course that isn't uphill, unlikely to have 50 mph wind (can happen anywhere, more likely some places), and not guaranteed hot (stay away from Hawai'i, LA in May, etc)

bap

Run faster Big grin

Certified Running Coach
        Crocked since 2013

mikeymike

If those were my only choices, I'd go with C.

Runners run

KMB

I can let you know in 6 days Wink I ran in Hyannis in February and came up 8 minutes short of my goal; described the results and symptoms here. If you look at my log the most significant change from February til now was to boost the weekly mileage. I basically eliminated speedwork but changed some of my 'what used to be regular runs at the saem old pace' to a little longer ones, but as tempo runs. My target is 6 days from now. Have felt terrible during taper, so I am expecting great things.... Wink

Craig

B. or D. Long (40+minutes) Tempo or Steady State runs once a week

Bugs

E. Hills

Bugs

Probably a combination of hills and tempo/fartlek/intervals will do the trick. Whatever you prefer.

Base of 50 mpw & no prior speedwork. Choose one of the following options: A. Increase mileage to 60-70 mpw B. Incorporate fartleks/1-2 mile intervals while maintaining 50 mpw C. Combination of A & B
                    That depends upon how long you have until your marathon that you want to cut time off. If you have a full training schedule, then I'd bump up your mileage for a month or two, and then start integrating hills or fartleks (along w/maintaining 60-70 or going back down into the 50s depending upon how you feel.) If you don't have more than a month or two until your race, I'd just integrate the hills & fartleks at your current mileage. In either case, I'd concentrate on extending the long run. I'd get more detailed, but you don't have a public log to peek at.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Is it me or how can any advice be any good with out knowing the timeframes that are being talked about when reducing 7 minutes?? I would think a heck of lot easier (probably just run more) to go from 4:00 to 3:53, where as if you are looking to go from 2:30 to 2:23 that would be a lot different of an answer...Right??

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!