Running inside with a mask (Read 128 times)

Griffin S

I am having trouble breathing while running inside with a mask. I use a standard surgical mask to run with.

Does anyone have any tips for me?

why are you wearing a mask inside? Are there other people not in your bubble around for some reason? All the gyms here have been closed a long time.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Oh, I forgot to give a tip!

Wear a Buff type lycra sleeve instead of a disposable mask. MUCH easier to breath through.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

an amazing likeness

With the massive caveat that I have not tried using it indoors -- I have found the Under Armour Sportsmask to offer the best airflow and form to allow running while outdoors of anything I've tried, including gators/buffs that the Surly one references.  I can't vouch for how it might perform when worn continuously as the mask expectations in my area are for when you're anywhere in the presence of other people, so I amish beard it until crossing paths with someone.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

SMART Approach

Wisconsin has been a hot spot and in Green Bay throughout all this but my gym has been open for months. I have done a couple short treadmill runs in gym and must say I will be running outside all Winter unless a blizzard. With that being said, I find MISSION brand sport mask the thinnest and lightest yet still 3 layers. It is doable on a TM. Surgical masks get picky when moist. I have no issues at all lifting weights with Mission. On treadmill clearly it has an effect. I would say if you do what you shouldn't (take it off your nose),....that helps some. I did that the last mile on my last run as I don't view my gym as high risk. No one was within 25 feet of me for more than 5 sec at anytime. No one can run next to you on the TM. High ceilings. A lot of airflow. Other than that there is no solution other than sucking it up mentally. I do think the mental effect is worse than the physical one as I did not see my heart vary significantly on my run with the mask on-maybe a few beats per minute.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

robin from maine

Masks get progressively damp with exercise, because they pick up moisture from the breath. The wetter they get, the more I find myself sucking them into my mouth. I have found two solutions. The first is a soft plastic scaffolding that fits over nose and chin, and under the mask holding it away from myself. It's cheap, can be used over and over, and surprisingly effective. The second is to wear whatever mask you like, but planning to swap to a second fresh mask. For me that would be every three miles.

tappae

Oh, I forgot to give a tip!

Wear a Buff type lycra sleeve instead of a disposable mask. MUCH easier to breath through.

Just for informational purposes: there was a study that suggests that Buffs and other products like them are actually worse than nothing when it comes to the reason that we're wearing masks.

They counted and measured moisture droplets that came through various mask types. The Buff increased the number of moisture droplets relative to no mask because it scattered them and made them smaller, which also makes them lighter so that they will hang in the air longer.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just for informational purposes: there was a study that suggests that Buffs and other products like them are actually worse than nothing when it comes to the reason that we're wearing masks.

They counted and measured moisture droplets that came through various mask types. The Buff increased the number of moisture droplets relative to no mask because it scattered them and made them smaller, which also makes them lighter so that they will hang in the air longer.

That was actually not a study, rather a demonstration of a method of measuring respiratory droplets. The media came to an unwarranted conclusion from it, and that's what got traction.  In other words, buffs may well be as good as other types of masks, but we really don't know for sure.  I'll add a link if I can find it easily enough.

Here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/gaiter-mask-new-research-covid/2020/08/25/fcab870e-e63a-11ea-970a-64c73a1c2392_story.html

“I never in a million years expected ‘Gaitergate,’”

And here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

mikeymike

With the caveat that I am not running indoors in the presence of other people until this is all over, this is the best running mask I've found:

https://www.bocogear.com/product/performance-x-mask-run/

I've worn it running (outdoors) and skiing, and it's definitely the most comfortable I've found. Bonus -- it dries fast after washing.

Runners run

Luciplay

With the caveat that I am not running indoors in the presence of other people until this is all over, this is the best running mask I've found:

https://www.bocogear.com/product/performance-x-mask-run/

I've worn it running (outdoors) and skiing, and it's definitely the most comfortable I've found. Bonus -- it dries fast after washing.

This is what I also use. It is amazing.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

That was actually not a study, rather a demonstration of a method of measuring respiratory droplets. The media came to an unwarranted conclusion from it, and that's what got traction.  In other words, buffs may well be as good as other types of masks, but we really don't know for sure.  I'll add a link if I can find it easily enough.

Here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/gaiter-mask-new-research-covid/2020/08/25/fcab870e-e63a-11ea-970a-64c73a1c2392_story.html

“I never in a million years expected ‘Gaitergate,’”

And here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

we do not know how effectively the virus can be transmitted in smaller droplets but there is also a lot of info out there about amount of exposure as it relates to severity of symptoms and even that a certain viral load may be required for the virus to take hold. plus if everyone has a buff that is double protection! it pisses me off when another runner passes me close without anything and then leaves me in their vapor trail

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Village people

With the massive caveat that I have not tried using it indoors -- I have found the Under Armour Sportsmask to offer the best airflow and form to allow running while outdoors of anything I've tried, including gators/buffs that the Surly one references.  I can't vouch for how it might perform when worn continuously as the mask expectations in my area are for when you're anywhere in the presence of other people, so I amish beard it until crossing paths with someone.

My son plays basketball in the Under Armour mask and it doesn’t bother him.

davidg123

Hello. I've written about this before, Korean masks helped me because they're easier to breathe in. And in general, you need practice, because at first, it was hard for me too, but they wouldn't let me into the gym without a mask. I got used to it.
                            bacbinhha

spam