swimming cross-training (Read 1519 times)

keeponrunning

just curious what everyone else does as a distance for crosstraining swimming.  i run 5k races, but normally do at least 6k runs, with my max being 12k. 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Darla1

I'm interested in the answers too. I've been trying to xtrain with swimming.  I suck at it, so it ends up being a very good workout.   Check this out:  http://www.ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html   I thought it was helpful.

Good luck.

Darla

I'm very interested in some responses to this too. My body just can't seem to handle the mileage I was attempting and/or  running every day.  I'm so bummed right now because prior to getting back into running about a year ago, I suffered through about 14 years of reocurring calf injuries. Now, those injuries are back. I was finally started to feel like a runner again too...

I want /need to start incorporating XT such as spinning and swimming. I too suck at swimming... mainly from a breathing technique perspective.

My prewash:)

Check out the book Total Immersion and it will help you with technique and drills.  Swimplan.com will give you free swimming workouts.  It will get easier.  I used to suck and now actually enjoy and look forward to it.  I have read that a one mile swim is equal to 4 miles of running cardiovasculary speaking.

"Carpe Diem"

Slo

1st,  Anyone interested in swimming I'd like to invite you to check out the swimming forum here

Swimming is excellent cross training for runners. Sorry I don't have time to send you to some links pointing out all the benefits.

The total immersion program is a great resource......if you need help with your breathing I'd suggest getting some one on one lessons. Even if it's from a friend but from a qualified instructor is best.

For me......I typically swim 3 days/week and shoot for 1800 - 2000 yds each session. That's just shy of a 1 hour work out with minimal wall time. A typically session might look something like

500 yds warm up

200 yds side drills

200 yds kick drills

200 yds stroke drills

5 x 100 on 20 sec rest intervals

200 straight

200 cool down.

Now it took me a few years to get to a work out like this.

Right now my running is side lined due to a stress fracture. I am thankful that I have swimming to fall back on. I highly recommend swimming to everyone !

Finally, most communities have Masters programs. Check out the Masters Swimming site and you can locate one close to you. They welcome people of all abilities and in Swimming.......Masters means anyone out of High School on up.

thanks for the tips and the links. Lots of reading to do.

under a rock

I started swimming late this summer. I took a few lessons from the local YMCA and that helped me get my breathing sorted out and learn the basics of the strokes. After my lessons I did some reading on my own about proper technique. Tips I have gotten from our swim forum mentioned by Slo_hand has helped me a lot in getting more efficient as well. I try to swim 1-2 days a week and only run 3 days. I'm up to 900yds in a work out and I'm needing a lot less rest between sets. I think the addition of swimming to my weekly schedule has been positive.

I spent most of my first month of swimming just working on technique with breathing and stroke and not worrying much about building endurance. Doing pull drills has really helped me to reduce the excessive kicking I was doing that made me get out of breath so quick. Once I learned to stop kicking so hard it all has seemed to fall into place for me.

I just started swimming again, a week ago...recovering from a stress fracture.  It's helping me build an aerobic base after 12 weeks of no running.  I just started with 1000yds and after 6 days of swimming between runs, I'm back up to 2000yds comfortably.  It's a good workout and only takes about 45 minutes.  I'm not really a swimmer but I *can* when forced to do so.  It helps that dh is a swimmer so he gives me workouts, drills, and feedback.  I second the idea of finding a master program at your local pool

Jennifer mm#1231

Once I learned to stop kicking so hard it all has seemed to fall into place for me.

Oh, that's a good piece of info. I feel like I'm kicking like crazy, not going anywhere, and I get out of breath right away.  Then when I do breath, I get water in my mouth. Are you suppose to take your mouth out of the water when breathing? (that was a joke) 

I did sign up for an adult class in the park district, which started last Saturday. The instructors don't seem to be too forthcoming with suggestions. After having seen my son take lessons through the park district, I should have known better. 

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

My two cents - swimming is an excellent way to maintain and improve aerobic fitness.  Working out in an oxygen deprived state with no pounding - what could be better?!  I agree with the comments on Total Immersion.  It will help you understand the basics, most importantly how to breathe and balance in the water so you can swim long enough to enjoy the benefits swimming has to offer. 

As far as distances are concerned - I swim a lot as an triathlete.  I would think that if your primary goal is to gain the fitness benefits from cross training, 45 minutes, 2-3x per week should do it.  During my build cycles, I usually swim 15,000 to 17,000 yards per week.  I don't think that is reasonable unless you are trying to swim fast in an Ironman or a 70.3 event.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

keeponrunning

thanks for the info guys.  as i mentioned in the original post, i love to swim and am a very strong swimmer.  i swim tons during the summer at my cottage (north channel, manitoulin island, lake huron) but have no idea of distance as i just keep swimming out until i get my family in a frenzy from the "danger" and swim back.  (i guess it is kinda dangerous, but it's fun )  anyway, i gotta figure out how to switch that mileage to pools.  like open water better but i also don't like hypothermia.  *shiver*

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Slo

Damn T-bone, 15,000 - 17,000 yds / week........

I know for a swimmer that isn't alot but to do that and still get your bike and run in.........That's why I don't have any desire to do an Ironman......well I do....I just don't want to commit to that training level. I admire those that do.....

What's your 4k swim pace?......if you don't mind me asking.

To the Op. Like T-bone said....a 45 min to an hour workout should be beneficial to your running and speed up recovery. It sounds like you've got the swimming done.....to the others.....Keep yourself moving in the pool. I see gutter huggers all time. There for an hour but swam maybe 500 yds......not very beneficial.

Lifesabeach.....12 weeks off for your stress fracture. I'm starting on week 6.......it's killing me! It looks like your just getting back to running. How long before your back to your previous weekly mileage ?  How long did the fracture area stay tender? I go back in 3 weeks for xrays. Tomorrow I will add in some stationary bike.

Lifesabeach.....12 weeks off for your stress fracture. I'm starting on week 6.......it's killing me! It looks like your just getting back to running. How long before your back to your previous weekly mileage ?  How long did the fracture area stay tender? I go back in 3 weeks for xrays. Tomorrow I will add in some stationary bike.

My sfx wasn't diagnosed until 5wks out ...it hurt all of the time and then I was put in a boot/crutches for 4 weeks and it stopped hurting after about 2 weeks.  I hope you are on the mend soon!  .

Right now I am doing Pfitz's Stress Fracture Recovery Plan.  So far so good. No pain anywhere. The swimming has really helped.  I'm going to stick with Pfitz+ miles for several weeks.  My goal is to be able to jump into marathon training the second week of December.  Hopefully I'll be at about 35-40mpw by then.  I haven't decided if I'll do Pfitz 18/70 - miles or 18/55 + miles for the first few weeks...I'll cross that bridge when I get there.  I think swimming will help make up the difference.

Jennifer mm#1231

I find this thread interesting. I've really grown to love swimming for its own sake, but have recently questioned how much my running has benefited from it. It is encouraging to see others so positive on it.
                              Darla1

Wow, great thread.   Thank you all for all of the great information.  I too started swimming because of a stress fracture.  I sense a common link here - runners with injuries who take up swimming and then find they like it!  Now my stress fracture is healed and my foot is bugging me.  So, back to the pool.   You'd think I'd figure it out - xtraining is the key (for me anyways)!