Biker Killed - Runner Injured (Read 1224 times)

jfa

While I agree with most of your points, I can't imagine, nor have I ever seen anyone riding against traffic. If you tried that around here you would likely be dead, in jail or both in short order. Tom
    Tom , you're probably right but why? Do you have a lot of curving roads with blind corners? If I operate in the same space while riding that I do when running, that is, way to the side with the ability to bail out, doesn't that give me more escape options? I can see when the whackjobs are coming at me and maybe have time to move. If someone hits me, they will be well off the road. I know that this is contrary to most laws, but I'm talking survival here. MTA- after reading over this ,I guess it doesn't make sense about the riding. I'll go back to my initial statement and say simply,that I try to run and ride mostly on trails and paths where there are no cars. I realize that this is not always possible, especially in winter, but the extreme defensive nature of my running/riding is the point I'm trying to get across.

Tom , you're probably right but why? Do you have a lot of curving roads with blind corners? If I operate in the same space while riding that I do when running, that is, way to the side with the ability to bail out, doesn't that give me more escape options? I can see when the whackjobs are coming at me and maybe have time to move. If someone hits me, they will be well off the road. I know that this is contrary to most laws, but I'm talking survival here.
      The roads are on a one mile grid here and heavily traveled with a 45 mph speed limit. If you ride facing traffic, your closing speed is at least 65 mph (20+45). If you ride with traffic, your closing speed is 25mph (45-20). That gives you and the approaching traffic a lot more time to see each other and react. Also, if you do have a collision you are much more apt to survive a 25mph glancing blow from behind as opposed to a head on 65mph collision. Physics is definitely in your favor if you ride with the flow of traffic. Tom