Bulging disks. (Read 50 times)

templeton

Is anyone here running with bulging disks in lower back?  A recent mri has indicated a few bulging disks.  I would appreciate hearing from runners that are having to compensate for these problems and what you are doing to enable you to continue running.  Thank you.

Brilliant

Do you have any pain or other problems caused by the bulging disks?  I had a lot of sciatic pain and numbness from mine.  Epidural steroid injections have really helped.

templeton

Thank you for your reply.  I have had sciatica where the pain goes down my left hip.  Most recently over the last year the pain is more like a constant mild ache in my lower back.  I will consider those epidural injections particularly if the pain gets worst.  Thanks again.

Marylander

If you're open the idea that the pain could be stress related you could check out the book, Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection. I went from having to use a wheelchair just to go to the grocery to feeling fine after reading the book. I am not making this up.

templeton

Thanks to your reply.  Never thought about my issue being stress-related.  With all the political nonsense going on today, I must admit it has kind of stressed me out.  However, I did have an mri about 6 months ago which showed 2 or 3 disks that were bulging.  I'm sure stress could aggrevate it further though.  Thanks again.

Marylander

Past a certain age a majority of people have some bulging but most are asymptomatic. I have some severe bulging myself (along with congenital fusion of L4-L5, partial sacrialization, and mild scoliosis) yet I don't live with back pain. I did have pain before reading the book, even had a corticosteroid injection and doctors wanting to perform surgery. In the end, though, my pain was not coming from what the docs saw on my MRI. I'm not saying all back pain is stress related but it's worth checking out.

SMART Approach

Many people are out there with disc bulging but asymptomatic or it subsides but many are symptomatic. Many patients have a lot of congestion built up in back preventing muscles and perhaps nerves from functioning efficiently.  One needs to clear the congestion and awaken the lymphatic system to clear up things.. Activity is key. Exercise, stretching, therapy or H-Wave device will help. Resting and not being active is counter productive. Thankfully, inactivity is not the norm on this thread.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

templeton

Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Will definitely look in to the H-Wave.  Also, will continue to run on a daily basis. (Easy)  I guess I was just concerned that any running might create serious problems.  Good to know that inactivity could make things worse.  This will keep me running as much as possible.  Thanks again.