What about running posture? (Read 193 times)

Mojrunning

Hi, New guy here

I am a long distance runner and I recently had pain in my hip area and I asked my doctor and he said it had to do with posture. He also said Orthopedic In soles are a good idea. I have been recently looking into some good soles and orthowalkfit.com - seems to have some good soles - is it good?

Will it help my posture?

Presumably your doctor gave you a reason for looking into orthopedic insoles?

Without other information, I'd probably look more at core work, esp. that for the hip area. But I'm not suggesting going against your doctor - IF he has a reason for what he recommended. I had a good PT who fixed a lot of issues for me - or more correctly, gave me the tools to fix my issues, including hips.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

+123 for everything AKTrail had said.  First of all, yes, posture IS very important.  In fact, it's the CORE.  Bad posture not only hurt your performance, but also cause injuries.  A bad posture is often result of weak muscles (as AKTrail implied).  If you watch "Without Limits", Bill Bowerman talked about a good posture during the run and the reason for it.  And he really was into posture; and rightfully so.

Personally, I wouldn't even touch orthotics or orthopedic insoles; they are developed or prescribed in most cases (not all) to fix the symptoms  and more often than not wouldn't correct the cause (sometimes would).  More often than not, assuming you have a weak area in your torso, those "superficial corrections" would pamper the weak area, consequently making the area even weaker.  If you have weak spots, you'll need to strengthen them.

Again, I'm a big fan of running rugged cross country courses to develop over-all general strengths.  If you run such a course for the first time, it would tire you out very much.  It's because you're not being able to run efficiently.  But as you keep at it, you'll develop stronger core and other muscle groups and the whole form/posture will be corrected itself.  Or, if you decide to go with the "superficial" fix, which you certainly can and it certain can work too, you'd better have a person who really understands the sport and anatomy and mechanics of running.  To be honest with you, there aren't too many around.

Hi, New guy here

I am a long distance runner and I recently had pain in my hip area and I asked my doctor and he said it had to do with posture. He also said Orthopedic In soles are a good idea. I have been recently looking into some good soles and orthowalkfit.com - seems to have some good soles - is it good?

Will it help my posture?

Google for "kneeling quad stretch" (this may not be exactly what my PT gave me, but it looks similar - keep lower leg on ground) and "donkey kicks" to get a couple drills that my PT gave me for hips. Poke around some of the other strength pages. These may or may not be helpful, depending upon what's causing your problems. However, I've noticed some commonalities of what I had been prescribed and general fitness routines.

Kneeling quad stretch

GP's may or may not diagnose running-related issues correctly. Same goes for PT's and podiatrists. On some of my early issues, the PT who works with runners was the one who did the correct diagnosis and taught me to fish (rather than giving me fish). The most recent case was a podiatrist who seems to have gotten it right (at least better than others - jury still out for long term).

Try some things like strides, focusing on running tall and picking up your feet. Run that way on hills too - keeping body vertical on the uphill.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

When I had hip pain during running, I tried to consciously tighten my hips with every step (just tighten whatever muscles around the hip it takes to reduce the pain on each step), and to keep my core straight. It helped, and now I run pain-free again, even though I have increased my mileage significantly since then.

Run for fun.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I've got no advice other than to suggest that you be really careful with hip pain. I've learned the hard way. I agree with Nobby that it's likely due to muscle weaknesses and you're better off addressing them rather than masking them with some sort of insole that might provide a short-term fix. Good luck!

When I had hip pain during running, I tried to consciously tighten my hips with every step (just tighten whatever muscles around the hip it takes to reduce the pain on each step), and to keep my core straight. It helped, and now I run pain-free again, even though I have increased my mileage significantly since then.

glad it work for you, aside from that, are you taking also some supplements or not? I am quite interested on how you do it.

we should prioritize our health and body. my site