How long to recover from Plantar Fasciitis? And what did you do? (Read 300 times)

Still kicking

Took a year to get back to normal. I backed off to 30 mpw, upped my bike miles considerably, roll every evening, started taking magnesium, stretch every morning, lift heavy leg weights, and wear (still do) the night brace every night. I use double insoles in my Hokas, and run on grass and rubber tracks as much as I can.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

RandyP

Another for whom rest didn't help. I took a break of several months and saw no improvement. Did all the stretches. Started running again while still experiencing post run and early morning pain. Then I started riding my bike on rest days. Within a couple of weeks of this the pain was gone. Something about the bike stretched my foot in a way nothing else did. That was two years ago. I'm running pain free with 30+ mile weeks.

Jawihan

Yes, I think that pedaling a bike would be beneficial. That would be a gentle stretching of the calf muscles and achilles. I'll have to try that on my rest days as well. I suspect It would be good for strengthening the non running leg muscles as well

Cheers

Jim

I'll chime in on this newly revived very old thread:

6 months before I couldn't feel much pain; at least not enough that I didn't notice it if I wasn't concentrating on it.

After resting a couple weeks did NOTHING, I went with very cushioned shoes and supportive insoles so I could at least jog while it healed up. Rolled my foot on a LaCrosse ball, didn't do much in a seated position, once I was putting nearly all me weight on it there was improvement after a few days. Used ice in a towel daily. Used supportive insoles in all my shoes and an elastic band with a pad called Strutz, which gave instant relief. Gradually got better over 6 months until it was gone-ish.

Have had a few minor flare ups since then, after doing speedier workouts. Only lasted a day or two, I'd ice it and that helped. And staying away from fast running for a while.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

kilkee

runktrun

For persistent, illogical PF that doesn't resolve at all with rest and stretching, the best thing to do is probably throw all sorts of strengthening and balance/stability exercises at it.  Rest doesn't fix imbalances - whether they simply be muscular (weak glutes) or structural (rotated pelvis).  Single leg balance and quarter squats on a bosu ball (or pillow at home), clam shells to work your glute med, ankle alphabet and picking up a towel with your toes are all things that MIGHT help, but probably won't hurt.  Massage and passive mobility work (having a PT move your foot around) are also likely more beneficial than not.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

For persistent, illogical PF that doesn't resolve at all with rest and stretching, the best thing to do is probably throw all sorts of strengthening and balance/stability exercises at it.  Rest doesn't fix imbalances - whether they simply be muscular (weak glutes) or structural (rotated pelvis).  Single leg balance and quarter squats on a bosu ball (or pillow at home), clam shells to work your glute med, ankle alphabet and picking up a towel with your toes are all things that MIGHT help, but probably won't hurt.  Massage and passive mobility work (having a PT move your foot around) are also likely more beneficial than not.

Agree with the thread revival comment.

Agree with Kilkee, too.  What helped me were excercises like quoted above and active release therapy/Graston.  The ART/Graston on my feet hurt.  Like.  Hell.  But rest wasn't doing it.  After a few sessions I could walk again without any difficulty.  Six weeks later I was back to some easy running.  Throwing in the strength and balance work seemed to top everything off.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

GC100k

Don't want to get accused of spamming, but I highly recommend Sole Insoles: yoursole.com

Did the trick for me. I wear them in all my shoes, wear Sole slides around the house, and even have Sole flip-flops.

Don't want to get accused of spamming, but I highly recommend Sole Insoles: yoursole.com

Did the trick for me. I wear them in all my shoes, wear Sole slides around the house, and even have Sole flip-flops.

I only wore mine until the pain was tolerable and I didn't need extra arch support anymore. After I healed up more, the insoles hurt my feet more than the fading PF. I went back to flexible factory insoles. I find that allowing my arch to do what it was designed to do (flex and absorb shock like a leaf spring) results in a more comfortable foot, for me. I am under the impression that immobilizing or restricting motion, such as with rigid arch support insoles, can lead to other injury issues. BUT, they have their purpose, just like a bandaid or cast. I returned to running sooner because of the rigid Sole insoles I used. And I have them tucked away just in case I ever need them again!

mdolley

Funky kicks 2019

Adding to the list: my doc also suggested that I run on different sides of the road, not just the side facing traffic.  Also that I mix up my surfaces (trails, roads, shoulders vs. asphalt, etc.  Doc is a runner and she was spot on.

Variety is the spice of life, and the panacea to running overuse injuries.

I've used custom orthotics but the ways my toes are I ended up pushing off my 4 little toes during runs causing the tendons there to get all inflamed. Orthotics help though, its just I use them for walking and at work now.

Been using KT tape (amazon sells good quality generic stuff cheap) for over a year now and hadn't had any pain and soreness in my foot arches since I started taping my feet up. It does such a good job that I can forgo any orthotics/sleeves and can even wear shoes with little to no arch (I wear Ghost 10s) in my runs.

Went thru 2 cortisone shots, didn't do a thing for me. Luckily my wife's insurance paid for orthotics made by the Podiatrist. It was hard running on them. Stretching did nothing for me, after a year the Podiatrist suggested a procedure, called Tenex, finally had it the following March, I was running within 7 weeks of surgery. Just wish I had done it sooner, but there was no info on it online.

I had a bout of PF a couple of years ago. Kind of took me by surprise because I was pretty regular with my yoga practice (thought that might prevent any PF problem). Wasn't painful to run but was sore in a.m. and after being parked on the couch too long.  Stretched, rolled my foot and foam rolled the heck out of my calves and shins. Helped a bit but what I think the fix for me was wearing Dansko clogs that had GREAT arch support and when I wasn't in those I wore Haflinger slippers (they had some nice arch support too).

Totally did the trick for me.  Good luck.  We all know how tough it is to be forced to take time off.

Seattle prattle

i've had two full-blown bouts of PF, and i did just about everything you can do for them except surgeries or shots or anything like that. I also did not tape. But i did everything like icing, frozen juice can rolling, hard ball rolling, night boot, night sock, stretches, strengthening, specifc PR exercises, PF inserts, etc. And i found i was able to run through it both times.

But the one thing that was most critical, without any doubt in my mind, was time. It just takes time to heal. Everything else can help a little and might help alleviate the thing that initially caused it, but it just takes time, whether or not you do the right things to treat it or not. And for me, that time was about 5 or 6 months until any trace of it went away. Again, i ran through it, so maybe mine took a little longer to heal, but the worst of it was generally the first four months.

At this point, i can absolutely tell what will cause some flare-ups, and what to do to minimize that, and how to avoid the injury altogether. I feel that going through it was just part of learning to be a runner. For me, one of the biggest triggers is running in shoes that lack enough support too often, and too hard too often. Daily trainers for me need good arch support and are best when they are of the heavier variety.

Half Fanatic #846

Unfortunately, I've learned there is no cure all, nor one size fits fall... i was told all the same things - rest, ice, strassburg sock, rolling on a tennis ball, etc. Nothing worked.

Once I transitioned to lower heel to toe shoes, my pain dissipated.

This describes my former PF issues about 8-9 years ago. Out of desperation, I started wearing more minimal footwear (and for work, too) AND learned to run barefooted part of the time - and haven't had any related running injuries since. This took several months and lots of patience  to accomplish, but nothing else worked for me. You have to find that one thing that will work out of the many "cures" that have worked for others, but it can be really frustrating.

Good Luck!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!