Cadence - what does it all mean? (Read 3400 times)

Scout7

If it were me, it would have to be the left foot. But then, I was in marching band...
    Yeah, I think mine comes from the military.
      A stride rate of 180 is a reasonable "benchmark" against which to evaluate stride rate. However, it is a mistake to try to force it. Doing ao can reduce running efficiency. Actually, both stride rate and length should vary with pace, with length varying more than rate. If one's rate is much more than about 10% slower than 180 at optimal general aerobicl training paces, then one might be overstriding and should work on altering running mechanics. Otherwise, the body will naturally seek the combination of stride length and rate that is most efficient for a given pace, which can be different for different runners, and it should be allowed to do so. As one becomes a faster runner, both stride length and rate will increase naturally. For more detailed comments, see the Running Mechanics section of my Running Page at http://www.jim2.net.
        Generally, most recreational runners will benefit from a faster cadence than what they normally run. A faster cadence helps prevent over striding and will enable you run at a faster pace with the same effort. I used to be a classic over strider and when I decided to work on improving my form I found out that my cadence was around 155 steps per minute. I spent an entire summer working with a book entitled Programmed to Run by Thomas Miller and progressed from 155 to 180 steps per minute. As a result, my natural pace has increased, I experience fewer injuries and my shoes even last longer since I no longer land on my heels. Increasing my stride rate was very difficult at first. I experienced the same aches and pains as the OP and raising my cadence even a small amount felt very unnatural, but over a period of months I gradually became used to the faster rate. Now, three years later I don't even think about it. Whenever I check my cadence it is almost exactly 180 steps per minute regardless of pace. Increasing my cadence is the single most beneficial improvement I've made since starting to run and I would recommend it to anyone looking to improve their form. As I said, it was not an easy thing to do and it didn't happen over night, but it was definitely worth the effort. Tom
        msl

Jeffgoblue... I got the Garmin 305 from DH for Christmas. Thought about ordering the foot pod as I saw it on Amazon for $29.99....you got a good deal. Its now more than $70!
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeffgoblue... I got the Garmin 305 from DH for Christmas. Thought about ordering the foot pod as I saw it on Amazon for $29.99....you got a good deal. Its now more than $70!
            Now that I know it does cadence, I may use it all the time, not just on the treadmill. No, I'm not gonna start obsessing about 180, but I'd like to keep an eye on it, particularly during harder workouts.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

Jeff, why must you hurt me so?

Lazy idiot

He really wanted to know what his cadence was before he got the footpod, but being a Michigan alumnus he couldn't count past 10 on his own. Wink (Hopes that no one knows where I went to college) Roll eyes

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff, why must you hurt me so?
                  Brother, did you not read the part about not obsessing? You know I'm a data nut. The more the better. It's just information-gathering so I can publish my research about how cadence doesn't matter. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

He really wanted to know what his cadence was before he got the footpod, but being a Michigan alumnus he couldn't count past 10 on his own. Wink (Hopes that no one knows where I went to college) Roll eyes
                    Nicely done, Drew. Since you have scoreboard on us for 6 out of the last 7 years, I won't bring up last night. Except to say that since U-M has won 7 out of our last 8 against the SEC, maybe they should just send us instead of you guys when you make it to BCS titles games. BTW, was rooting for the Buckeyes and disappointed/dismayed with the loss. U-M and OSU wins over the SEC would have gone a long way to repairing the Big Ten's reputation. At least TBDBITL looked good.

Lazy idiot

I would've been happy to allow Lllllloyd and the boys the chance to play LSU last night. That would have spared me the necessity of watching a good old fashioned butt-whoopin'. TBDBITL... meh.

Tick tock

Scout7

OSU should be banned from championship play. Dear God, I've never seen a team backslide worse than that in a season. And to make it two years in a row.... As for Jeff's data gathering.... pffffffftttt....
                        evtish

Just started running in October and ended up running myself into a foot/calf/knee injury within 5 weeks. This injury sprang up every time I've tried to run consistently (3-4 days/wk) over the last 15 years, which made me think I had something wrong with my knee and I would give up running. Well this time when it happened I researched running form/technique to see if I was doing something wrong. Turns out I was overstriding with the classic heel stike and roll. Well, I took 3 wks off from running to heal and I'm now trying the higher cadence running technique really concentrating on landing on the balls of my feet or midfoot directly under my CG and I can feel how much the impact forces are reduced. I'll let you know how I progress since I can basically be called a Beginner without any ingrained form. It is awkward running the 180 cadence at my warmup pace of 10 mm bc the stride length feels too short, but doesn't feel odd at all through the 2 minute pace range of 7-9 mm that I usually run. Actually, I could go faster if I wanted to. I'll be the Guinea Pig to see if this method reduces or prevents injury.
                          higa

Thx for the feedback. Interestingly I counted my rate doing some intervals and the rate was 90 and it didn't feel so awkward. Maybe initially I was trying to run at an easy pace whilst trying to keep the cadence up. Mutually exclusive I think. Methinks I may be getting too technical and over analysing when all I really want to do is run and maybe improve my times while i'm at it.
                              Yep. In fact, my Garmin foot pod actually measures in rpms. I averaged between 75~80 rpms during today's easy run, (but muliplied by 2 to be consistent with the discussion).
                              Will the Garmin actually provide that stat live or can you only see it when you download the data? I've looked through the options for the display fields and haven't found an option for this.

-------------------------------------
                              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Will the Garmin actually provide that stat live or can you only see it when you download the data? I've looked through the options for the display fields and haven't found an option for this.
                                I have a Forerunner 305 and it can provide this stat live. Three fields actually -- Cadence, Cadence Average, and Cadence Lap. Though I decided not to turn it on -- I don't need to fret about it, I can just check it out later.