Run for the Fallen (Read 1338 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

http://runforthefallen.org/
    Run for the Fallen is a collective of runners whose mission is clear and simple: To run one mile for every American service member killed in Operation Iraqi Freedom. On June 14, 2008, we run across America to raise awareness about the lives of those who fought, to activate their memories and keep their spirits alive, to support organizations that help wounded veterans and the families of those killed (Wounded Warrior Project, Yellow Ribbon Fund, HUGSS (Helping Unite Gold Star Survivors), and the 1st Lt. Michael J. Cleary Memorial Fund), and to aid the healing process for those Americans whose lives have been affected by the war. We refuse any political affiliation or agenda, but simply honor those who have fought, and those who have fallen under the American flag.
    Who is in?
    JakeKnight

You know I am.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

JK, they come through Nashville around August 6. I have already shot off a request for info. The legs are about 50 miles each.

Why is it sideways?

Neat. Will they be coming through Nashville? I'm in.

My legs are killing me

I'm in too.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Got this email back -
              Thank you for your interest in joining us for Run for the Fallen. We would love to have you come down to meet and run with us. You can see our routes here: http://www.runforthefallen.org/map.html Our runs will begin approx. 6am each day. I do want to ask where you would like to join us. The best way of contact especially the day of would be cell phone. I'll add your name to our list, and at your convenience, please provide us with your contact information (contact phone number in particular). We'll keep you posted with details as we get closer to the run. Please understand that our one expectation for all runners is that we are running to honor those who have fallen. The run is apolitical and our focus the soldiers. We welcome you and others to join us for as long as your legs, finances, and hearts will allow. We are thankful for your interest and support. Our plan, day to day, is to have 8-10 team members and three support vehicles. We will either have a continuous relay (one mile after the next), or a contiguous relay (two starts: mile 0 and the days' halfway mark), but this all depends on our strength in numbers and health of our core team. We are a grassroots organization and depending on where you meet us or how long you run with us, we can only shuttle runners so far. If you wish to run with us the whole day we would like to ask that someone shuttle you back to the start. Any personal expenses; food, lodging, vehicle and gas, etc., are up to the individual. This goes for anyone who runs. The basic concept behind this is that the fewer sponsor funds we use, the more sponsorship monies we can direct to our partner foundations; Wounded Warrior Project, Yellow Ribbon Fund, Gold Star Families and the 1st Lt. Michael J. Cleary Memorial Fund. Also, all runners will have to sign a standard release form. If you need any further information about the run, please visit http://www.runforthefallen.org or feel free to contact me directly anytime. You can follow our progress at blog.runforthefallen.org. I look forward to running with you. Jon Bellona
              C-R

I'm in. They aren't coming to Indy but we will do something up here.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mb197314

They come within 2 miles of my house. I'm in for sure!!

jfa

Thanks for the Heads Up. I'm in.

I looked at the route and it's not near me in New England. If anyone hears of them expanding it to other areas of the country, particulalry New England, drop me a line and I'm in. lphunter53@yahoo.com

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This email came today:
                        Good morning everyone, I’m writing to give you an update of Run for the Fallen. You have expressed interest in running with us this summer, and your desire to run with us means a great deal. We are excited to have you join us this upcoming summer. We currently have a team of eight members traveling across America. You will be joining over 75 other runners who will run at various stages along the 4000 mile trail and countless runners and walkers all over America who will run with us on our last day, August 24. This past weekend I moved from NYC back to Clinton, NY. Here I am finalizing logistics and training for the summer. While you may always reach me on my cell (315-404-2239), for the next month I have a landline with unlimited calling. Through June 8, if you need to contact me, please call 315-853-4080. Of course, you may choose to email me with any questions or concerns. jon@runforthefallen.org Over 4000 flags have been donated from various parties and I will be leaving this weekend to pick them up. Over 22 schools are helping us to create the soldier sign cards that complete the memorial markers. We are excited by every teacher’s and student’s enthused interest, and I cannot wait to see the different personalities each card will possess. We are working on creating a new version of the website. This is coming soon. We have created a blog that we will use to continually update our progress once we hit the road. blog.runforthefallen.org We will be sharing pictures, video, and stories from the run. For any questions about the route or route details, you may access the route at any time by visiting www.runforthefallen.org/map.html This map accurately reflects the route we will take, and if any changes are made, they will be done so in conjunction with any local runners for that day. We plan on starting each day around 6am (except June 14 & August 24 – 9am starts). We will contact runners in a timely fashion if a change has been made, whether it is a start time, day start point, or other larger change. Your decision to run with us broadens community involvement, activates service member’s memories, and allows Run for the Fallen to effectively complete its mission. I want to thank you for choosing to remember. All the best, Jon Bellona Director Run for the Fallen 315-404-2239 jon@runforthefallen.org

Non ducor, duco.

Nowhere in Texas???!!
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nowhere in Texas???!!
                            If you cannot run with them in person (they can't hit every state), you have the option on August 24 to organize a local Run for the Fallen in your hometown. Folks will be doing it across the country. Details here

Ostrich runner

I'm in. They aren't coming to Indy but we will do something up here.
                              I'm up for it.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

JakeKnight

If you cannot run with them in person (they can't hit every state), you have the option on August 24 to organize a local Run for the Fallen in your hometown. Folks will be doing it across the country. Details here
                                Did you note the route goes right between the parks up Old Hickory? I can walk from my front door and meet them in 5 minutes flat. How far are going? More importantly, how are we getting home?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                                -----------------------------