Hydration vest needed (Read 52 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm looking for recommendations on a hydration vest for very long runs.

One that won't chafe or bounce around, ideally something I don't really even notice is there (if one such exists).

I wouldn't use it for anything under 20miles but could have used one last weekend --ran 5 hours carrying a running water bottle and had to stop 4 times to buy more water (and a coke!).  Those things tire out my arms and eventually just get annoying, plus they cause a lot of nerve pain (10 hour run with one in Jan messed up my arm for months!).  I need a vest.

I don't need to carry polls or other gear/clothing maybe just a few gels --mostly I'd like something that can hold two water bottles and won't bounce or chaff.

Any recommendations?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

JDehlinger

I just invested in my first vest, a Salomon S/Lab Sense 2 and couldn't be more impressed with it. I did a bunch of research/review reading and this seems to be the consensus good, minimal, quality running vest, albeit a bit of a splurge in terms of pricing. I went back and forth between the Naked running vest and the Salomon but opted for the Salomon because of the community consensus and the newness/lack of reviews of the Naked vest.

My two cents...

Dude! I have SO MANY recommendations!

But few personal experiences.

I have an older model Mountain Hardwear vest that works great. I see their current vest, called the Single Track, looks about the same, but has wand pockets.

what I like about it, and what I look for in a vest:

I don't use a bladder, just front bottles. It doesn't have a huge bladder pocket in back, but you can stuff a jacket or other things in it.

It's small and light, and doesn't bind anywhere. Barely comes to the bottom of my ribcage, and doesn't impede my arms.

Holds two 500ml soft flasks in front, and you can always stick another bigger one or two in the back pouch.

It's not some garish color.

If I were going to buy a NEW vest, I think I'd look at the smaller Salomon vests. They have a soft stretchy fabric, and fit like clothing, not a pack. They also have multiple pockets in front for stashing different things. Most of the vests called "race vests" feature front bottles and no bladder. Nathan makes a good one, and if you're on a budget, the one from Decathlon Sports looks very good, but doesn't hold very large bottles.

https://www.decathlon.com/products/running-backpack-marathon-vest-312601?

I figure 500ml per hour is tolerable for most people, up to double that if it's hot. So, size your vest capacity to your runs, you don't want to get "too much" vest; you're not going backpacking.

I also have a Salomon Agile hip pack, and a Nathan VaporKrar belt. The Agile bounces with a full bottle unless I really cinch it. The VaporKrar is great if I just want to take along an extra 500ml or maybe a couple 350ml bottles for 90 minute+ runs in the heat. And gels and other stuff. I use the vest PLUS a belt or hip pack for epic runs, like Grand Canyon.

Note on bottles: Softflasks are comfortable, they conform to your body instead of dig into it. And they don't slosh (suck the air out of them so there's just fluid).

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I just invested in my first vest, a Salomon S/Lab Sense 2 and couldn't be more impressed with it. I did a bunch of research/review reading and this seems to be the consensus good, minimal, quality running vest, albeit a bit of a splurge in terms of pricing. I went back and forth between the Naked running vest and the Salomon but opted for the Salomon because of the community consensus and the newness/lack of reviews of the Naked vest.

My two cents...

I second this. I have the 5L version of this vest - the only differences are really a couple pockets alongside the ribs and one on the back. Very impressed with it.

They're a bit unorthodox, but look at the Orange Mud packs or vests as well. I have a single bottle (~24oz) pack that I use for my usual summer 11 milers, but there are also versions that have two such bottles. It's very comfortable, and while looking at it you might worry that the straps under the arms might chafe, but they don't and really aren't even noticeable. Some people complain about water sloshing pretty close to the ears, but for me that just ends up blending into the other ambient sounds out in the country and doesn't bother me at all.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

bioguy

I have an Ultimate Direction vest with two chest bottles, lots of pockets, and a 2L bladder I haven't put in yet. There seemed to be a huge number of them at the last trail race I did.