30 days to run 1.5 miles for police exam. HELP please (Read 119 times)

Newrunner22222

Hi I am new here. Really would appreciate any advice. I have 30 days until I take the PT exam for the police. I’m 25, 6 feet female 210lbs. Today I only could run 0.5 miles in about 5 minutes. I need to be able to run 1.5 in 15 minutes. I’m coming off a knee injury and trying my best to pass my exam. Thank you!

JimR

Don’t try to run that pace in your training runs, keep it slower and manageable.  Focus on the time and not the pace to allow you get continuous runs in place.  The main problem is the knee injury, it will restrict your progress since you have to be more cautious.  Run every second day, work on keeping forward at a manageable level of effort for whatever time you can comfortably sustain, the walk some to get your wind back and repeat it.  If you can do two repeats of it the first week, that’s good.  Try 3 repeats the next week and then work on stretching out the time.  In the 3rd week, try hitting your target 10 min/mile pace on the second repeats on one or two of your outings so you can know how it feels.  For the last week keep focusing on covering as much of the 15 minutes in a single continuous run even if it’s slower than your pace but at a manageable effort.

5 days before your test focus on your target pace again for some part of your run, covering as much time as you’re comfortable with without stressing yourself too much.  Do one more run easy effort only, 3 days before the test, then no more running until test day.

If at any point you’re feeling too stressed, then take an extra rest day and just keep the next run at an easy level of effort.

SMART Approach

And run on a softer surface to take pressure off knee.....grass, dirt, chips, rubber track etc. Good luck.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Newrunner22222

Thank you. I’m sorry my response took so long. I’ve been a bit

reticent on where to start with asking and following advice on this.

I’m excited to follow your plan and I’ll reach back out again and let you know how I’m doing. I’m getting a brace. Gonna go to all lengths to be MPD. Thank you.

Don’t try to run that pace in your training runs, keep it slower and manageable.  Focus on the time and not the pace to allow you get continuous runs in place.  The main problem is the knee injury, it will restrict your progress since you have to be more cautious.  Run every second day, work on keeping forward at a manageable level of effort for whatever time you can comfortably sustain, the walk some to get your wind back and repeat it.  If you can do two repeats of it the first week, that’s good.  Try 3 repeats the next week and then work on stretching out the time.  In the 3rd week, try hitting your target 10 min/mile pace on the second repeats on one or two of your outings so you can know how it feels.  For the last week keep focusing on covering as much of the 15 minutes in a single continuous run even if it’s slower than your pace but at a manageable effort.

5 days before your test focus on your target pace again for some part of your run, covering as much time as you’re comfortable with without stressing yourself too much.  Do one more run easy effort only, 3 days before the test, then no more running until test day.

If at any point you’re feeling too stressed, then take an extra rest day and just keep the next run at an easy level of effort.

Newrunner22222

Thank you ! I appreciate the help as well. I will be trying to run on softer grounds. I’ll be following up with you too if you don’t mind. I value your opinion 😊

And run on a softer surface to take pressure off knee.....grass, dirt, chips, rubber track etc. Good luck.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Try some cross training, like with a stationary bike. Pedal fast and you get a leg workout without stressing the knees as much. Of course this uses slightly different muscles so it does not completely provide the benefits of a run, but it can help. Also, take some brisk walks, Running in a pool is a good one, the water provides support so not much weight would be on the legs, but you move the legs and get water resistance. (actually I've never tried pool running, but have heard it was good for an injury)

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
              Get up, get out, get out of the door!

PaigeR

How did it go?