Tame Bunny or Rabid Rabbit? (Read 896 times)

Just smite them with the holy hand grenade on the count of 3.(one of my all time favorite movies)
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cougars are the only real concern, and the population is VERY thin. Typically the places they have problems with cougar attacks are places where the population is too thick (ie California, due to outlawing hunting of them) and the young males can't get territories and get pushed to areas of high human contact, where they are hungry and frustrated and get dangerous.
      I've read some really terrifying stuff from CA. Cougars attacking pets and being seen in some residential areas. I love cats...but the 25# and under variety. I think I'd crap my pants if I actually encountered a cougar. They have big teeth and claws and I would probably be a tasty, easy to catch snack.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I've read some really terrifying stuff from CA. Cougars attacking pets and being seen in some residential areas. I love cats...but the 25# and under variety. I think I'd crap my pants if I actually encountered a cougar. They have big teeth and claws and I would probably be a tasty, easy to catch snack.
        Nah, just last Saturday some young surfer guys changing by the side of the road reported seeing some courgars running up the hill toward them. The cougars simply checked out the towels wrapped precariously around the surfers hips, nodded and said, "good morning." We, they, didn't even say anything harrassing such as, "Now there's a towel I'd like to see on my floor." Oh, wait, you mean the kind of cougar you find in the wild. Nevermind.
        Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nah, just last Saturday some young surfer guys changing by the side of the road reported seeing some courgars running up the hill toward them. The cougars simply checked out the towels wrapped pracariously around the surfers hips, nodded and said, "good morning." We, they, didn't even say anything harrassing such as, "Now there's a towel I'd like to see on my floor." Oh, wait, you mean the kind of cougar you find in the wild. Nevermind.
          Ha! Last fall when I did that "Run With A Cougar" race Heather73 and I realized after finishing that the cougar was us...as we were checking out the 20-something dude who won. He was a looker. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Just smite them with the holy hand grenade on the count of 3.(one of my all time favorite movies)
            ARTHUR: Right! One... two... five! GALAHAD: Three, sir! ARTHUR: Three!
            Matt

2010 Races:
            March: Irish Jig 5K - 24:31 (new PR)
            May: 5/3 Riverbank Run 25K - 2:34:12 (new PR)
            June: Brian Diemer Amerikam 5K - 23:39 (new PR)
            June: Reeds Lake Run 5K - 24:48 (this race has kicked my butt two years running)
            September: 2010 Mackinac Bridge Run - 36:59
            September: Park2Park Half Marathon - 1:57:26 (new PR)
              I am asparagus pee positive. At least one of my kids is too (we had some for supper last night and someone forgot to flush...). My wife claims to be asparagus pee negative, and on a separate but related note, her dad is an asparagus farmer-I believe the biggest in Ottawa County, MI.
              Matt

2010 Races:
              March: Irish Jig 5K - 24:31 (new PR)
              May: 5/3 Riverbank Run 25K - 2:34:12 (new PR)
              June: Brian Diemer Amerikam 5K - 23:39 (new PR)
              June: Reeds Lake Run 5K - 24:48 (this race has kicked my butt two years running)
              September: 2010 Mackinac Bridge Run - 36:59
              September: Park2Park Half Marathon - 1:57:26 (new PR)
                soooo...now that we've got some numbers, does this mean I have to analyze the data? Undecided
                xor

From Night of the Lepus to older women/younger men by way of asparagus pee. It's the Internet. It's what's happening. Rerun.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

on a separate but related note, her dad is an asparagus farmer-I believe the biggest in Ottawa County, MI.
                    Where? I live in Muskegon Cty. (next cty. north of Ottawa). The county to my North (Oceana) is one of the biggest asparagus-producing regions in the world. Lotsa stinky pee around here.

~ Sarah Kay

Hi runners. Here are a couple of tips from a wilderness trail walk/runner. I am "out there" several times a month. We have black bear, deer, elk, bob cat, cougar, and who knows what. I have only personally encountered the bob cat, and lots and lots of scat of all sorts to avoid on my narrow trail. For the most part, the animals don't want anything to do with you, but there are lots of extenuating circumstances. This time of year is probably the scariest for bear, because they are hungry, and the mothers have cubs. Two footed creatures out hunting in the fall are a worry too. I had a place where I stashed water, extra jacket, and firewood (another story), where I stopped often to regroup, and Mr. Elk came along and used it as a potty room three times! I have a new place. Areas very close by have reports of cougar, and that is the one animal that I am scared of. One thing I do is let my big noisy dog go up the road ahead of me, rather than follow. Yes, he has chased out big animals - you can tell by the sound how big they are. I know that is not great for dog training, but that is his job. Another is to talk to the dog often - he is usually 100 ft. in front of me on the trail. I also talk to myself, sing and whistle. I have thought about wearing jingle bells on my shoes, but just haven't gotten around to doing that. An old timer woods type guy said to wear a whistle on a string around my neck - he chases away animals with that- and swears that animals don't like the higher overtones, and will leave. A lady friend says take a blow horn, but they are bulky. Don't take much if any food - I do take a small box of raisens. I carry brush clippers anyway, because I often have to cut my way through downed branches, etc., and consider them another safety factor. A little awkward, though. It is a good idea to let someone know what part of the woods or wilderness you are going to be in. We don't have cell in our area, but if you do - take your phone. Well, other than all that Roll eyes I just love being out there in the woods! Smile Woods Lady