Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

VO2 max intervals today. Supposed to do 6x1k @ 5k pace with 2 min jog. I cheated a little. First, I arranged my intervals so that I was with the tail wind most of the time. Second, I took a longer break just before the 6th interval I probably am not ready to run 6:15 pace for my upcoming 5k. But I want to try any way. So, I was shooting to run at that pace today. My paces were 6:13, 6:13, 6:12, 6:24 (getting tired and with strong head wind), 6:21 (just tired), then a longer break and I ran 6:08 pace for the last k. This is a pretty tough workout but in 2 weeks I am supposed to do a much tougher one: 6x1200m @ 5k pace with 2 min jog. Total 11 miles.
      VO2 max intervals today. Supposed to do 6x1k @ 5k pace with 2 min jog. I cheated a little. First, I arranged my intervals so that I was with the tail wind most of the time. Second, I took a longer break just before the 6th interval I probably am not ready to run 6:15 pace for my upcoming 5k. But I want to try any way. So, I was shooting to run at that pace today. My paces were 6:13, 6:13, 6:12, 6:24 (getting tired and with strong head wind), 6:21 (just tired), then a longer break and I ran 6:08 pace for the last k. This is a pretty tough workout but in 2 weeks I am supposed to do a much tougher one: 6x1200m @ 5k pace with 2 min jog. Total 11 miles.
      Nice job gcklo! I love stats so running is my sport. I am nowhere near your level at this time. I did 4 miles on the treadmill last night in 31:28 shifting between 7-8.5 mph every half mile or mile. I am feeling good while increasing mileage but not ready to attempt much speedwork yet.
        I'm probably going to sign up for a 4-mile race on 3/21. And a 10k on 4/4. All before Boston. I have no clue how fast I'll run either of these races, since I haven't raced anything under a marathon since last Nov 08 (a 5k). I'm hoping for mid-to-high 24's for the 4-miler and maybe low-to-mid 39's for the 10k. I just haven't run that fast recently and also don't want to hurt myself for the marathon.... I've had a bunch of good medium-to-long runs lately. Hopefully that will translate into some shorter distance PRs..... If I don't break 40 minutes in the 10k. I will be disappointed...
          Nice job gcklo! I love stats so running is my sport. I am nowhere near your level at this time. I did 4 miles on the treadmill last night in 31:28 shifting between 7-8.5 mph every half mile or mile. I am feeling good while increasing mileage but not ready to attempt much speedwork yet.
          Hi Michigan, you had a good base last year so I think you will be back soon. When I run on the dreadmill, I also like to do what you do by playing around with the speed. This makes it less boring. And I think you have a better aerobics capacity than me for sure. So, soon you will be running sub 20 5k. But I think for you to break 19, mileage and consistent running would be more essential. On the other hand, I am not built with good aerobics capacity, so I have to work hard year round to maintain my fitness. Sad
            Just want to bump this thread up a bit. Anyway, finished the week with 74.4 miles after today's 18+ miles long run with 14 @MP. For those 14 miles, I averaged 7:14, with the slowest mile (1st mile) at 7:19 and the fastest mile (last mile) at 7:05. Overall, it was a good week, but pretty tough. Next Sun, I will run my 1st 5k of the year. Hope to get around 19:30 or so, but not sure if I am ready.
              Just want to bump this thread up a bit. Anyway, finished the week with 74.4 miles after today's 18+ miles long run with 14 @MP. For those 14 miles, I averaged 7:14, with the slowest mile (1st mile) at 7:19 and the fastest mile (last mile) at 7:05. Overall, it was a good week, but pretty tough. Next Sun, I will run my 1st 5k of the year. Hope to get around 19:30 or so, but not sure if I am ready.
              Wow you sound like a trained machine. Whenever I run a long run 7 days before a race I have put up some good times so good luck to you. I ran a nice easy 7 this morning averaging 8:21 pace. It felt good not really pushing but just lifting each leg and let momentum move me forward. Next week I hope to go 8 miles for the long run.
                I did my first outdoor speed workout of the year. (Last one was on the treadmill, I don't trust those paces). So I did a continuous 9.7 run, with 5x600m with 300m rest in between. The 600's were between 5:40-5:57/mile (Garmin) and the rests were 8:50-9:05/mile. A pretty good run, though my lower HR paces were slower than I'd want them to be. Probably recovery from easy 22+ @ 7:40 did on Sunday. I'm running a 4-miler this Saturday. Depending how I feel, I'll probably try to hold between 6:00-6:05 pace for as long as possible. I don't like running that fast, and really have never ran that fast. So we'll see how it goes...
                  VO2 max yesterday. But it was the easy version, 5x600 @ 5k pace with 2 min jog. The good thing was that I didn't feel tired after the 18/14 MP run last Sun. Paces for my 5 intervals were: 6:17, 6:14, 6:12, 6:11, 6:02. I particularly like the fact that I was able to run faster in the end. 14 miles today @ 8:07 The next 3 days would mostly be recovery runs before my 5k race on Sun.
                    gcklo - you've had a pretty good week! Good luck in the 5K! As long as you're not carrying too much fatigue from the 14 miler over you should be close given good conditions. I had a mini-breakthrough today. I caught a nice day - 60 degrees and sunny - and I was off of work because I'm switching jobs. I decided a mile and a half in that I felt good enough to make the 6 mile run into a tempo so here's how it went: 7:45, 7:31, 7:20, 7:22, 7:08, 6:55 - total of 6 miles in 44:01. I felt strong throughout and only getting a little tired toward the last mile or so. The best mile I had was the 4th mile which was uphill (#3, 5, and 6 were downhill slightly). I haven't had a run that fast for 6 miles in 5 or 6 years. Given a race I could have hit 5 miles close to 34-flat, and my last 5K of the run was under 22. Adding to that, I ran 3.5 miles yesterday and played hockey last night...it was the last playoff game because we lost so I was going all out - legs were pretty sore early in the morning. Tomorrow? Tomorrow...I will be taking it slow. Big grin I am probably staying off the race courses until June though, still building a base.
                      gcklo, Those look like Pfitz workout's. What marathon are you training for? You're doing the 18 week plan right? I'm training for Boston with a quazi-modified 12/70-85, where I 1) Don't run on Monday's and 2) Don't run doubles. From Sunday - Wednesday, I ran 47 miles (with Monday off). I had a good easy 15 miler yesterday in 7:43/mile. However, last night felt like I was fighting something (maybe dinner didn't agree with me, lost 3 lbs) and today's recovery run was a struggle. I've got another recovery run tomorrow AM. Then my 4-mile race on Sat AM. I was planning on just gunning it (5:55-6:05/mile pace) and seeing how fast I could go and hold on for.... We'll see..
                        gcklo, Those look like Pfitz workout's. What marathon are you training for? You're doing the 18 week plan right? I'm training for Boston with a quazi-modified 12/70-85, where I 1) Don't run on Monday's and 2) Don't run doubles. ...
                        You are right. I am doing Pfitz 18/70 and am training for Boston as well. I do add a mile or two to most weekday runs to stay above 70 miles most of the time. Can't believe there is only 1.5 week of real training then we are off to taper. Time flies.
                          I'm ready for tapering yesterday. It seems I've been training for a marathon since last June. Since I did 18-week Daniels' for Chicago 08. Then one week off into HADD training for Houston, then four days off then into Pfitz 12/70-85 modified. I'm looking forward to a break. I don't think I'll start fall training until August, and hopefully get into NY. I'm actually thinking of doing some Daniel's 5k training to get some speed up for some shorter summer races.. The midweek 15 milers are getting tiresome. Only one more of those... Also, I seem to get wiped out running anything over 20 miles. My 22+ miler from Sunday seemed to wipe me out. What corral are you in? Whats your goal time?
                            I'm ready for tapering yesterday. It seems I've been training for a marathon since last June. Since I did 18-week Daniels' for Chicago 08. Then one week off into HADD training for Houston, then four days off then into Pfitz 12/70-85 modified. I'm looking forward to a break. I don't think I'll start fall training until August, and hopefully get into NY. I'm actually thinking of doing some Daniel's 5k training to get some speed up for some shorter summer races.. The midweek 15 milers are getting tiresome. Only one more of those... Also, I seem to get wiped out running anything over 20 miles. My 22+ miler from Sunday seemed to wipe me out. What corral are you in? Whats your goal time?
                            I did my 1st race of this year - an 8k - 6 days after running a pretty hard 22 miler. I think it did affect my race a bit. 22 milers are tough. Good that I have only 1 20 miler next weekend. My only concern for my upcoming 5k is that I also did the 18/14 MP last Sun. Though I didn't feel very tired, I am taking it easy these few days as a precaution. My bib is in the 6k range. I am hoping to run sub 3:10, though it will be a stretch goal. I think I may be able to do sub 3:12.
                              So I ran my 4 mile race today. I was feeling like crap on Thurs/Fri after running 47 miles Sun, Tues and Wed. Didn't know what to expect. Did a 2 mile warmup. It was 32-33F, sunny and a slight breeze from the N (which we'd be running into back). Started at front. Ran a 24:17, which is 6:04/mile. Splits were 5:40, 6:03, 6:05, 6:28. The first mile is probably 10 seconds fast since 1/2 was downhill. 4th mile is slow since it was back up the hill which was 100ft up and pretty steep. Not used to running this fast. Came in 9th out of 425. First in age group. (Got a free pair of Brooks Switch). First EVER age group award. So, since I went through three miles in 17:49, I think this would probably qualify as a sub-19, right??
                                Came in 9th out of 425. First in age group. (Got a free pair of Brooks Switch). First EVER age group award. So, since I went through three miles in 17:49, I think this would probably qualify as a sub-19, right?? I would think so - probably came through like 18:30-18:35, I would think Nice race!