Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

Was planning to run the 5k this Sat, 9 days before Boston. But due to a lingering cold, I am skipping it to give myself enough time to recover. So, sub 19:30 or faster will be the goal of the 2nd half of this year.
      Was planning to run the 5k this Sat, 9 days before Boston. But due to a lingering cold, I am skipping it to give myself enough time to recover. So, sub 19:30 or faster will be the goal of the 2nd half of this year.
      Second half? We've just begun. What's after Boston? You're going sub 19:00.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

I'm looking forward to post-Boston... Going to be putting in sub Daniel's 5k training.... 200m/400m repeats should be a nice change from all of the long distance marathon training...
          Started my week off with a beautiful 11 mile run down here in warm Florida. It's amazing how waking up to a comfortable 70 degress in the morning can change your whole outlook for the day. Looking forward to the rest of this week. This can only help my training is the way that I look at it.

Second half? We've just begun. What's after Boston? You're going sub 19:00.
            Haven't decided what would be after Boston. I will be on vacation for 2.5 weeks. Probably will eat a lot and gain some weight and then spend the following couple of months to get back in shape. Will plan for several 5k's at least 1 10k and a half from Sep to Dec. More specifically, I want to run a 10k and qualify for the master sub-seeded start for Bay to Breakers next year. I haven't raced much the 1st half of this year as well, but there are races throughout the year here. There are fewer in the 1st half of the year because it rains a bit more often and weather is usually more windy.
              Bay to Breakers. I remember that race was pretty crazy back in the 80's. Lots of costumes and lots of people. Can't imagine what it's like today. After your well deserved R&R after Boston, I am curious as to hear about your training for any upcoming 5k's. I believe you said that most of your gains have come from running lots of miles.

Bay to Breakers. I remember that race was pretty crazy back in the 80's. Lots of costumes and lots of people. Can't imagine what it's like today. After your well deserved R&R after Boston, I am curious as to hear about your training for any upcoming 5k's. I believe you said that most of your gains have come from running lots of miles.
                I did B2B last year. It was a little crazy but not as crazy as 5 to 10 years ago. A lot of people wore costumes and I only saw a couple of naked guys. What stopped me from running it unless I got the subseeded start was that it took me 25 min in line to get to the port a john before the race started. I did do an unbelievable job of moving to the front as much as I could and crossed the start line only 42 sec after the gun. But I think to really run it, we need the seeded or sub-seeded start. So far, all my break through happened after I upped my mileage. My runs were a little stagnant lately, probably because I was a little tired last few weeks. And may be I came back a little to soon to my training after CIM in Dec. So, my 3 weeks off after Boston should give me enough rest to train for several 2nd half key races. Just need to make sure I don't gain too much weight from all the good food.
                  I think I may be getting on track for this goal but its going to be close for a planned race on June 6. I've been consistent and injury free, two big plus factors. My weekly mileage (my weeks end on Friday, not this log) will be 33.5 for this week after a 4 miler tomorrow, which comes after 29.25, 32.5, 23.5, 31, and 32.25 going back over the past several weeks. That's the best stretch I've had since 1995. I've had a couple notable runs recently... 4/5: 10 miles in 1:19:49 and wasn't pushing at all (perfect evening to run) 4/1 and 4/12: was able to do doubles on both of these days. AM runs are very difficult for me. 4/7: incorporated 2.5 miles in 16:40 in a 4.5 mile run 4/14: incorporated 2 miles in 12:50 in a 4 mile run (5 seconds off my best 2 mile time in 5 years) Most of my easy runs are now 4 to 5 miles and I get 7:45 to just under 8:00/mile comfortably. That's up from 2.5 to 3 miles in 8:15-8:20 pace in December. My weekly mileage has also doubled and I'm down 15 pounds from New Years' (to 191). Most of you run a ton more miles than me but I have a background of relative speed: I was an 800/miler in high school and 1500/5000 in college. I can still run 200 in 28 or 29 any day. It feels almost comparable to my sophomore year in high school, when I was running mid to high 18's. I was a bit faster then but stronger and much better mentally now. I also had the tendency to overtrain then and not take enough easy days... I've run the course I plan to run the 6/6 race on a few times. It has a couple of hills but it isn't too slow a course. I'm confident of under 19:30 at this point, but I feel like <19 might be a stretch. was wondering your opinions...?? and good luck at boston for those running it. might="" be="" a="" stretch.="" was="" wondering="" your="" opinions...??="" and="" good="" luck="" at="" boston="" for="" those="" running=""></19 might be a stretch. was wondering your opinions...?? and good luck at boston for those running it.>
                  C-R

Ok. I've been lurking a while and now am throwing into the ring. I hit 19:43 a few weeks back and got called out by a running partner to run sub 18:30 by the end of summer. I've a marathon this weekend and another in the first part of June but will plan to add lots of speed work during the summer months to hit the mark as fall 5ks hit. Mainly I've been doing 800 repeats but want to head into the mile repeat area. Look forward to discussing, learning and doing. Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ok. I've been lurking a while and now am throwing into the ring. I hit 19:43 a few weeks back and got called out by a running partner to run sub 18:30 by the end of summer. I've a marathon this weekend and another in the first part of June but will plan to add lots of speed work during the summer months to hit the mark as fall 5ks hit. Mainly I've been doing 800 repeats but want to head into the mile repeat area. Look forward to discussing, learning and doing. Cheers.
                      Good luck with your races coming up. Jim24315 gave some pointers over on the sub 40 10k thread on an approach to running 1600's that I am going to be trying sometime in the near future. Good luck as well kpk33x.

C-R

Thanks Quint. That's some interesting stuff in the <40 thread.>

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

Good luck with your races coming up. Jim24315 gave some pointers over on the sub 40 10k thread on an approach to running 1600's that I am going to be trying sometime in the near future. Good luck as well kpk33x.
                          I'll vouch for jim24315's 1600 workout. He and I did those last summer into early fall and they absolutely set me up for the best season of Fall racing I've ever had.
                            So was the workout 6 x 1600m with 200m Jog rest ? Sounds like a Daniels' Tempo workout to me... Around 15k pace?? Good luck guys in your sub-19 quest...

Right on Hereford...

I'll vouch for jim24315's 1600 workout. He and I did those last summer into early fall and they absolutely set me up for the best season of Fall racing I've ever had.
                              Ok, you've certainly got my attention, especially considering the results you two have had. Question(s)...what's the advantage of doing this workout instead of a classic tempo run? Or a longer tempo run? And Ken, did you switch to 1000's at 10k pace after a certain number of weeks, as Jim suggested?
                                I know for me, I could come kinda close to this doing a tempo run. However, I think it would give me a little more structure than a straight up tempo run and enable a little more intensity without wiping me out with the brief 200 recoveries. Also, due to the amount of warmup and cooldown mileage, it could easily substitute as my long run when performed. But, you would have to read Jim's take on it to compare because I am not very familiar with Daniels.