pain...constant and dull (Read 911 times)

I've been running consistently for 7 years, and this year, more than ever, I've noticed that I'm ALWAYS hurting one way or another.  It's usually something in my legs that's bothering me, either quads, calves, or hams.  Every now and then it's the IT band.  Always something.  What's changed for me this year?  Well, I turned 30 a few weeks back.  And I'm planning my wedding, so there's a little bit of new stress to deal with.  Those are the two things that I can think that could negatively effect my running.  On the positive side, in the past I've always pretty much done all my runs at an 8 minute pace, and this year I've slowed things down a bit for my easy runs and am usually somewhere between 8:30 and 8:45 pace.  I just started logging my runs on here a few months back, check it out. 

I'm really starting to get sick of the constant pain.  I'm wondering if the pain is normal or if maybe there's something going on with me. What does everyone think?

The King of Beasts

that is normal, it is always something

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

that is normal, it is always something

True, it is always something.  If I am not feeling anything, I fear I am not working hard enough.  Last couple of months it was my achilles, this week its the whole top of the foot.   I think the key is to know the difference between minor aches and pains that we can run through and acute/sharp pain that leaves you hobbling or changed gait.

#artbydmcbride

When I first started running, I sought out the shelf with books on running, and went "uh oh".  There were the handful of books on training and technique, and a zillion books on this pain, those strains and that ache!!!  

Runners run

aches are normal.  true pain is not.  but then constant and dull makes me think more of an "ache" then pain, which for me is occasional and sharp. 

pain is telling you something is wrong in some way.  aches are telling you that you are not 18 anymore. 

at least that is my very general philosophy.  When I stretch or groan about something my wife hints at worries about running making me hurt.  I usually replay that every 40 year old man I know has some ache or other once in a while.  And I'd rather my aches be from running 12 miles then from hitting a golf ball or playing softball. 

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

aches are normal.  true pain is not.  but then constant and dull makes me think more of an "ache" then pain, which for me is occasional and sharp. 

pain is telling you something is wrong in some way.  aches are telling you that you are not 18 anymore. 

at least that is my very general philosophy.  When I stretch or groan about something my wife hints at worries about running making me hurt.  I usually replay that every 40 year old man I know has some ache or other once in a while.  And I'd rather my aches be from running 12 miles then from hitting a golf ball or playing softball. 

I always look at it as aches also telling you that you've worked an area a little harder than you're used to, which isn't a bad thing.

TRUST THE PROCESS

C-R

My soccer coaches always asked us if we were hurt or injured. Hurt = normal - run through it. Injuried = pain - stop and treat. Only you can tell which is which for you.

Just wait until you hit the 40's, there are more aches ready for you in that decade.  For now I say HTFU  and make sure you get a good warm up and cool down for each run.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Wingz

Professional Noob

Could be overtraining.  Life stress certainly affects how much physical training/stress we can handle.  You mentioned two biggies: 1) turning 30 (stressful for many!) and 2) planning a wedding.  Perhaps you just need to chill for a week or two, taking it easy on the miles as well as the pace.

MTA: looking at your log, it seems that you've been doing doubles on all your harder training days - the intervals, the races, the tempo runs.  That certainly adds to training stress, perhaps unnecessarily so.  Doing a double is a kind of stress too - perhaps those might be better off moved to an easy day and let the harder workout stand on its own?  Just a thought - I don't do any of the hard stuff so there might be others better qualified to advise.

Roads were made for journeys...

ymmv

I'd suggest that you try doing nothing but easy training runs, at about 1 minute/mile slower than your current easy pace.  Running a month or two of slow miles is likely to get rid of the pain, but it might have a significant impact on your race times. I would expect your race times to get faster because of it.

SMART Approach

I've been running consistently for 7 years, and this year, more than ever, I've noticed that I'm ALWAYS hurting one way or another.  It's usually something in my legs that's bothering me, either quads, calves, or hams.  Every now and then it's the IT band.  Always something.  What's changed for me this year?  Well, I turned 30 a few weeks back.  And I'm planning my wedding, so there's a little bit of new stress to deal with.  Those are the two things that I can think that could negatively effect my running.  On the positive side, in the past I've always pretty much done all my runs at an 8 minute pace, and this year I've slowed things down a bit for my easy runs and am usually somewhere between 8:30 and 8:45 pace.  I just started logging my runs on here a few months back, check it out. 

I'm really starting to get sick of the constant pain.  I'm wondering if the pain is normal or if maybe there's something going on with me. What does everyone think?

I am assuming you are a female as you are planning a wedding. Ha! I am curious. Have you ever done a 5K or 10K race? I am curious of your fitness and whether your runs are too fast/hard without adequate recovery. You are still young. It really is not normal to be hurting unless training too hard or you have a biomechanical issue, muscle weakness/imbalance or bad shoes. A 8 min comfortable pace correlates to a sub 20 min 5K which will win many 5K races for females. Of course you can train harder some days but if you were running this fast everyday, it would break you down.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com